Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does power steering hose go (55 president)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does power steering hose go (55 president)

So car is @ tranny shop. And the owner says he can't figure out where power steering hose goes to. This power steering hose is missing?One is hooked up. The other is missing. Is the one missing suppose to go to the steering box? I also gave him the SI catalog ,and I don't think it shows anything related to this. Sorry I don't have a shop manual.

They both go to the steering box. Into the underneath of it. They both need 90 deg elbows at that end.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 617 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Thanks tom ( You know this is the 2 door coupe) Any different boxes for the 2 door coupes.

Comment

Maybe N8 can help, I'm familiar with the sedan. I may hve been in error about both hoses going to the bottom. On page 19 of the steering section in the 55 shop manual is a cutaway picture of the unit. It shows one on the top and one on the bottom. On page 22 is a photo of one in place, kinda hard to trace the hoses, though. On page 23 (top left) it shows where they go, both on the bottom. From experience, these hoses have to be in place before the unit is put in the car.

[edit] typo
        [img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        (Under Construction 617 hrs.)
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

If this is that big Saginaw PS unit, yes there are 2 hoses at the bottom of the box right under where the steering column attaches. Depending on what year, the pump may have the 2 hoses coming out the back or one out the back and the other into the reservoir. I don't think there was any differences in the steering boxes themselves for sedan vs coupe, just the frame bracket. I have one from a '57 Hawk in my 53K. At least in my case, I could R&R the hoses with the box installed but its not easy!

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
          X