GT Hawk window rollers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT Hawk window rollers

I now have a 62 GT Hawk. I've taken the front windows apart and replaced the 5 rollers and cleaned and lubricated the regulators. When I reassemble the window, do the rollers get lubricated?
    Thanks,
    Terry

1952 Commander Starlight
    Green Lake, WI

No help from here. This is one of my next steps. I look forward to input. How did the installation of the rollers go? I have the SI kits.

Perry
    '23 Special Six,
    '50 Business Champ,
    '50 Starlight Champ,
    '60 Lark droptop,
    '63 GT R1
    Perry
    \'50 Business Champion
    \'50 Starlight Champion
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

If you grease the outside of roller and the track they may slide instead of roll. But that may or may not create wear problems. I did pack mine with grease clamping each in one end of a piece of fuel hose and clamped a hand grease in the other end of hose This will force grease through the bearing. This serves to slow down rust by keeping water out. For a while anyway.

Comment

LubriPlate white grease.
        Here's a pretty good treatise on doing window regulator maintenance and repair, even if it is of GM origin.
        HTIH
        Jeff[8D]
        PS: Love Green Lake.. Used to boat weekends on Big Green lake and camp in the local park.. Great town!

Camaro fever is sweeping the country! And with the help of the Camaro Restoration Handbook, you can restore your 1967 through 1981 Camaro either piece by piece, or from the ground up. Authors Tom Currao and Ron Sessions detail the complete restoration process necessary to turn any street-beaten Camaro into a true show winner. With over 500 photos and drawings, it’s the most complete Camaro restoration resource available. Plus, you’ll find chapters on year-by-year identification and model changes, disassembly, electrical wiring, intereior and door reconditioning, convertible, and vinyl top repair. Also included are details on rebuilding suspensions, steering, brakes, and sheet metal repair. Procedures for body prep and paint, gauges, driveline reconditioning, subframe repair, and what to do after the restoration are fully illustrated. A complete Interior/Exterior color chart is an added bonus. The Camaro Restoration Handbook is the answer to your dream of a restored vintage Camaro. What are you waiting for?

quote:Originally posted by terrymb

I now have a 62 GT Hawk. I've taken the front windows apart and replaced the 5 rollers and cleaned and lubricated the regulators. When I reassemble the window, do the rollers get lubricated?
        Thanks,
        Terry

1952 Commander Starlight
        Green Lake, WI
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

White lithium grease. Slop some in the track and a bunch on the bearings. Put a little heat on the bearings with a bernz-0 matic. Repeat. Grease should flow inside the bearings. They should last longer than the originals cause the lithium grease won't wash off as easily as the lubricant plus you'll have more than was originally used. The original bearings rusted out rather than wore out. Same end result. jimmijim
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Another way to get grease in them is heat grease to flowing in a coffee can and throw the rollers in and let cool. I perfer the grease gun method as no heat involved and you know the grease is in them as it flows out on the open side.

Comment

Working...
            X