This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker "i" in Serial Numbers

I am buying a 64 Stude that happens to have an 1 in the serial number. All of you know Stude used the stamp for 1 that looked like an "I". How do I substantiate this for VIN and customs purposes?

Thanks
    KF

They used a "I" for the one on Studebakers

JDP
    Arnold Md.
    Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 GT hawk
    64 Commander 2 dr.
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    63 Lark 2 door #2
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

They used a "I" for the one on Studebakers

JDP
      Arnold Md.
      Studebaker On The Net

My Ebay Items

64 GT hawk
      64 Commander 2 dr.
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert
      63 Lark 2 door
      63 Lark 2 door #2
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Hawk
      59 3E truck
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Kent, the easy way is to have a copy of the Production Order from the museum. If time won't allow this, I'll get you pics of my title (MI), Production Order and Serial Number plate on my Daytona. When I showed the Production Order and Serial Number plate to the Michigan Secretary of State, they made the change without a problem (California used an 'I' for the 1 on their title).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
        Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
        LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Kent, the easy way is to have a copy of the Production Order from the museum. If time won't allow this, I'll get you pics of my title (MI), Production Order and Serial Number plate on my Daytona. When I showed the Production Order and Serial Number plate to the Michigan Secretary of State, they made the change without a problem (California used an 'I' for the 1 on their title).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
          Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
          LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Too bad our club dosen't have a form letter on file from the SNM archives addressing this issue.

I don't have time to get a build sheet - It's gotta happen before that.

Kenr

Comment

Too bad our club dosen't have a form letter on file from the SNM archives addressing this issue.

I don't have time to get a build sheet - It's gotta happen before that.

Kenr

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 54-61-62

Its kind of dumb of them not to realize they use Roman numeral derivitive of the number 1. There's a reason jukeboxes omitted the letters, 'I' and 'O'.

BTW, ever seen how GM stamps the numaber '8'? Looks like a upside down skeleton lock keyhole[]

Craig

Kenr

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 54-61-62

Its kind of dumb of them not to realize they use Roman numeral derivitive of the number 1. There's a reason jukeboxes omitted the letters, 'I' and 'O'.

BTW, ever seen how GM stamps the numaber '8'? Looks like a upside down skeleton lock keyhole[]

Craig

Kenr

Comment

The state of New Mexico just prints The I on the title instead of the 1
                    ive never had any problem with Insurance
                    this way
                    John

Comment

The state of New Mexico just prints The I on the title instead of the 1
                      ive never had any problem with Insurance
                      this way
                      John

Comment

When I imported the '63 Hawk a couple of weeks ago from Canada to the US I didn't have any problems. US Customs did verify the SN plate on the A pillar against the paperwork. The paperwork all showed a "1" where the SN plate showed a "I".

I didn't have to explain the difference.

Reminds me of a Far Side cartoon. The rescue helicopter is hovering over the beach where the castaway has almost finished spelling out HELP with rocks. He hasn't quite finished the "P". One pilot turns to the other and says "Never mind. False alarm. It spells HELF."

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

When I imported the '63 Hawk a couple of weeks ago from Canada to the US I didn't have any problems. US Customs did verify the SN plate on the A pillar against the paperwork. The paperwork all showed a "1" where the SN plate showed a "I".

I didn't have to explain the difference.

Reminds me of a Far Side cartoon. The rescue helicopter is hovering over the beach where the castaway has almost finished spelling out HELP with rocks. He hasn't quite finished the "P". One pilot turns to the other and says "Never mind. False alarm. It spells HELF."

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

What may work is to take a factory parts or repair manual with you to show them the serial numbers in the front of the book. While that doesn't show the 'I', it should give them the idea that the serial number is all numbers, not with a random letter 'I' scattered amongst the numbers.

[img] http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/63.63.jpg [/img]
                            Dwain G.
                            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

What may work is to take a factory parts or repair manual with you to show them the serial numbers in the front of the book. While that doesn't show the 'I', it should give them the idea that the serial number is all numbers, not with a random letter 'I' scattered amongst the numbers.

[img] http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/63.63.jpg [/img]
                              Dwain G.
                              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
                              X