Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1936 dictator coupe [rodded]...

greets'n'salutes...

just found this place...mine's not a pure stude as i'm a rodder at heart but i fell in love with its lines and bought it with all the money i had, back in late '95 from an 'old timer' rodder in ohio...
    took delivery of it in january '96 and.......she's been parked over at my folks' driveway since...deteriorated quite a bit too in those past 13+ years of being parked ...i am a quadriplegic in a wheelchair, livin' off meager monthly disability income so i'm neither able to wrench on the car myself, nor able to afford any work...
    i bought the stude as 'just completed' by the previous owner/builder but wasn't able to then register/insure it in this fragrant state of new joysie where i reside now, back then due to draconian laws regarding rods/modified vehicles at that time...now, the joysie laws are far more relaxed governing rods but now the ride needs a complete refreshing after sitting undriven and rusting for so long...currently, i've just put it in an auto shop local to me, which is ran by a reliable [and affordable] car guy and i just want to get the stude back on the tar and finally start to drive it...i've always been into the tradition so plans call for a late '50s-early '60s mods...satin black, retro dress up of the mill, chrome reverse or radir wheels with wide white walls, blahblahblah [8]...the pinstripes and name pin up art 'theme' - to be done by my pinstriper/rodder buddy - will be 'lazy ass', a pun which i don't think needs to be explained on a stude forum hehehe...i'd also love to put a traditional style type of induction like a badass hilborn stack injection modified too efi or a high rise tunnel ram...and NO chrome or [ugh!] billet crap, all function no flash, but for now i'll have to settle for just a minor refreshing though due to lack of cash...
    currently the stude has a bored sbc with a higher compression, th350, 12 bolt posi from a '69 z28 w/3:73 gears, disc brakes from the same [non powered], manual r&p rack on a mustang II ifs...battery in trunk, shaved door handles, etc...
    hope to have it back on tar in time for the rumblers cc [nyc] thrills/kills show in brooklyn but we'll see...[?]

cheers!!!.....
    jerzy [}]
    here are a few pix, hmmm, hope i can figure out this picture uploading process here...

circa '98, about 3 years after i bought the stude...

front...

lazy ass [but very curvy] []...

taken about 2 years ago...

whorehouse interior... [}]

most recent pic [from may '08], visible is the rusted trunk edge...

when guns are outlawed only outlaws have guns...

Welcome! (man, that's a wild interior ya got there!)

Chris Pile
    Editor: The Studebaker Special
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Hey, welcome to the forum. If you have not done so...join the SDC. The monthly publication alone is worth the price of membership. Being in the Northeast part of the country...there are quiet a number of regional state chapters that could be good resources and contact. I might be wrong, but since you are a "quad" I am guessing that you have to have a driver. That takes good trust in a very good friend to hand the reigns of a hot rod beast like yours. You have one of my favorite years and models of Studebakers. Just keep an old tin can nearby in case you encounter one of the "Purist" that wants to complain about the non-stock Stude. You can point to the can and ask if they would have preferred the can to the "Rod?" Thank you for keeping the Studebaker lines. You will have lots of opinions about any hot rod and as you know, tastes differ wildly. For instance, some really like the big doghouse sitting on top of the engine, and I really like the sleek line of the original hood protected by those neat fat fenders. Just remember...it is yours...enjoy it. I have already enjoyed the pictures. As the upgrade progresses...keep us informed.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

thanx for the welcome chris...hehe, interior's kinda too bordello-like with those bloody velvet covers, for my taste...and i don't dig those new power seats to much but that's how i bought it...i'd love to put some vintage sw gauges instead of autometers, and some more traditional seats into my ride but interior's the last place on my priority list so it'll do for now...btw, the original '36 stude dash was a gorgeous art deco deal but i guess it was too far gone so the last owner just replaced it with a home made steel unit...the double row of gauges does look kind of intimidating and proper rod-like tho...
        [}]

hey john. thanx for the welcome as well...actually i hate being driven hehe...nah, i drive my own self with hand controls [my daily beater is a very beat up '68 cutlass with a transplanted hopped up 455 - i pulled a few sub 13 sec 1/4 mile runs in it according to a bud's g-tech gizmo, on street tires - and i drive it hard].. altho i'll need to remove the running boards from my stude in order to be able to transfer into/out of it and pull my wheelchair in..wanted to have the driver's side running board modified to fold up/down for that purpose but it would take more bucks than i have...
        i'll join the sdc as soon as i'll have a bit of change to spare...i just had to buy a new distributor for my cutlass and can barely afford the gas [i get about 5-7 mpg even when i try to 'behave' myself haha] so even a small expense like the membership fee can be a burden...
        cheers - jerzy...

Comment

Welcome! It sounds like you are a paraplegic rather than a quadraplegic/"quadriplegic". That is relatively good. At least you can drive with hand controls. I have a couple of paraplegic friends. When I drive their vehicles, I use the hand controls rather than the conventional controls. One guy has had a number of Studebakers, from a '55 Speedster to a Packard Hawk to an Avanti (all with hand controls).
          I like that body style. There is/was a similar Studebaker coupe rod in upstate New York.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

hey gary...no, i'm a c5-c6 quad which basically means that i have gotten about half of my arms' function back since i broke my neck [back in '90]...in realistic terms it means that if i wrap my palms with ace bandages [i have no grip] i can now bench press around 140-150 lbs whereas i bench pressed just over 300 lbs prior to my broken neck hehe...however, the biggest difference between my level of function and a paraplegic is that my trunk balance and hand dexerity is very poor , close to nonexistent...plus i'm unable to sweat [constant heatstrokes]...paraplegics are a whole another class and they can wheel themselves and get around much better than i can...oh, and i have to type with my thumb while supporting myself upright so i don't dive in headlong into my keyboard hahhaha...

aye, the '36-'37 ditators have those beautiful curves unlike any other coupe and i fell in love with my car at first sight upon seeing its for sale ad...even had to forfeit a $500 deposit i've already put down prior to it for a chopped '40 cevy rod...but never regretted it...

Comment

Glad to hear that you have some use of your arms and hands! The SDC is populated by "Haves" and "Have-Nots" and everything in between. So no need to apologize for lacking funds. Many of us lack funds, even with good fingers, toes, and everything between those. For years I have said my main limitations were my intellect and energy. Now that I am as old as I am...that excuse works even better.

John Clary
              Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
              SDC member since 1975
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

"lazyass" - Thanks for the clarification and medical education. Things happen with assumptions. At least good communication clears up those assumptions.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

thanx again for the welcome guys...oh, and i forgot to mention something about my stude - that 'blower' visible on the pix is as fake as a wooden nickel...the gentleman i bought it from put one of those fake blower kits for appearance's sake and it's simply an empty blower case with [working/spinning] pulleys and belts, which actually goes over a 'vanilla' intake/carb setup...i don't like anything fake so the 'blower' is currently and permanently off, and for now i'll just run the car with the lame conventional edelbrock/holley combo until i'll save up some bucks for a more traditional yet exotic badass induction set up [such as the aforementioned hilborn efi 8stack , a weber conversion or a vintage tunnel ram setup]...

gary, i'll go o/t a bit here...
                  spinal cord injuries is a very arcane and complicated subject...virtually no single person even with an exact level of injury has identical symptoms simply due to the fact that the spinal cord has so many microscopic strands, each responsible for certain function of one's system, and a damage to it even in a seemingly identical location can result in different functions being affected......with paraplegia [i.e. an injury suffered at a lower level of spinal cord such as either the 'thoracic', 'lumbar' or 'sacral' part] it's a bit more uniform but even then there can be some major differences and there are different 'para' levels as well...
                  thus no one outside of the circle of knowledge about the 'sci' subject could be faulted for making inadvertant assumptions or generalizations hehe...no offense taken whatsoever and i'm always willing to explain the subject a bit to those who aren't familiar with such...
                  i also realize that when one hears the term 'quadriplegic' [in fact, i believe that recently there's been a tendency to use the term 'tetraplegic' instead of 'quadriplegic' but i'm not up on the latest trends regarding the subject myself hehe], one immediately thinks of the high-level quadriparesis [quadriplegia] such as the type which chris reeve [ex-'superman']was subject to..id est-no movement of body/arms whatsoever, need for a breathing machine/ventilator and a general complete lack of ability to do anything for oneself...that type of quadriplegia occurs in people who have the highest c1 and c2 injuries ...which means that they've broken their necks and damaged their spinal cord at the highest cervical level, ergo-closest to one's brain stem...
                  the lower [numerically higher]one goes into the cervical nerve/cord damage, the more function one regains or retains post injury...there's also a big difference between 'complete' and 'incomplete' quadriplegia - or a spinal cord injury but this forum ain't the place to go into all that hahaha...
                  back in 1990 i broke my neck at the c5-6-7 cervical levels but i was actually classified as a bordeline c7-c8 quadriplegic 19 years ago due to the functions i've eventually regained post injury...since then however, the medical/rehabilitative field has made significant strides so today's quadriplegics tend to be far more 'able' than those of years past with an exact same level of injury...today, a person who suffers an injury at a c5-c6 level very often regains much of their hand function, other functions and some can even move their legs; some more some less...thus they're often at a functional level of a paraplegic rather than that of even a most able quad...so the functionality level for quadriplegia has been revamped since my time in rehab...hence i'm a c5/6 quad with some function overlapping a c7 level....
                  incidentally, if anyone here have seen the movie 'murderball' which is a semi-documentary about 'quad rugby' and was pretty actively hyped a few years back, the 'quads' in that movie aren't really quads and some can even walk with crutches or a cane [which one never sees/hears mentioned in the movie]...i've met a girlfriend on one of the online sci forums of the main protagonist of that 'documentary' and she has enlightened me about the reality of that supposed documentary hahaha; just an 'fyi'...

daaaaamn, now my t

Comment

btw people, although i particularly dig prewar cars/rods, i love all studes and would like to reciprocate the comments and compliment your rides but couldn't find threads here which would show off your wheels...i figured this 'member's studebaker pix' section is a good way to introduce oneself to the forum/club and simultaneously show what ya drive, hence my first post here...however, unless i'm missing a large part of a 'pix' thread here, there are over 4000 members here but only a fraction of yas seems to have posted pix of your rides...
                    [?][?][?]
                    let's see 'em all....

'36 stude dictator coupe [rodded]...

Comment

Working...
                    X