64-66 Door Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64-66 Door Removal

While I was in Cedar Rapids, I picked up some nice used doors for my 66 project. The question I have is this. The old doors and rhe cowl area are quite rusty. What tricks have you used to get the screws out of the hinge. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

66 Commander R1 Clone
    51 Commander 4dr
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

When I took the doors off my dads '62 afew weeks ago, I used a impact screw driver, and the screws I could not budge at all, I drilled out, and I will just get new ones.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

On my 58 Hawk, I used a hand held impact screw driver (its important to use the right size phillips head); about half of them came right out but the lower ones gave me some trouble; I heated them up a little and that helped on all but one; that one I also had to drill out.

Joe D.

Comment

On my 58 Hawk, I used a hand held impact screw driver (its important to use the right size phillips head); about half of them came right out but the lower ones gave me some trouble; I heated them up a little and that helped on all but one; that one I also had to drill out.

Joe D.

Comment

Try heating the heads glowing red then letting them cool off. Then heat the hinge plate and try the screw. Repeat a few times. That gets the majority of them out.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
          Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
          X