X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last chance?

From the Jet Thrust News Forum...

Craig

Frustrating. I bet they won't get near the $15K parting it even after all the time and labor to do so.

So they've got a car that might be worth $25-30K as a 400-pointer, needs maybe $40K to get it there, and want $15K... and that's IF the work already done is top quality[|)] Also, no mention of what exactly was already done, just a few pictures of a painted shell...[|)] again.

I can understand somebody not caring about saving an important and significant car; and can definitely understand needing money and to move a car; but to junk it without first trying the market? Doesn't add up[V]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Does anyone know what this car is? Hawk? Commander 2-door? Cruiser? Condition? If he'd just post the VIN, many questions could be answered. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob,
        It's a Hawk. There's a link to pics in the jet thrust forum. That car was for sale about 6 or 7 months ago. I though JP was chasing it down.

Don't ya gotta be kinda rich to live in Sedona????

My thoughts.........

Claude Chmielewski
        Studeski

Fillmore, Wisconsin
        47 M-16 Truck
        62 GT Hawk
        63 Lark
        64 Commander Wagonaire
        50 Champion Regal (parts car)
        63 GT Hawk R2
        [img=left]http://www.studeski.com/62hawk/62hawka/dakota01_250.jpg[/img=left]
        1936 Dictator
        1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
        1953 Commander Regal HT
        1953 2R5 Pickup
        1947 M16 Truck
        1960 Lark VIII Convertible
        1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
        1962 Champ 7E5 no box
        1962 GT Hawk
        1963 Lark VI 4 dr
        1963 GT Hawk R2
        1964 Daytona Convertible
        1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

The car is Sid all over again, but more apart. I did check into the car and he's probably well over 30K in so far, but it's 15K and maybe 1000 hours pf labor from being a high point car. Since Sid sold for 35K, it was not worth my effort, but a bargain for someone with lots of time.

JDP/Maryland
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Here it is, Bob:

It gets me that they claim they've "tried" to sell it; yet this is all you get. No parts list, status of any part of the drivetrain, or proof of work quality. They might have a chance to sell it if they'd even make that slight effort[|)]

I hope it gets rescued, and I would do so if I had the extra cash, and finish assembling it over time; then sell it with a loss on my labor, just to see it survive. I've even got room for it now.

Cain't only do but what you can, I guess

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Thanks for not grilling me too bad guys.
              As for the vin I will post it soon as I can.
              Yes Sedona has become a high dollar spot these days. it was not always that way. my folks moved out there 25 or more years ago. the town has grown 5 times as large and the prices are through the roof. Because of the economy mom has not been able to sell the house. so she wants to try to rent it. the car and parts fill the garage. I will be going out the first week of aug. to move it to phoenix(my sisters place).
              As for the parts and what they will sell for...I have tried very hard to help my mother understand that just because dad was 50k(or more) into the car it is not worth that now. I did track some cars for some time and show her what they sold for.
              Bams you are right. I could have done better and more marketing. I am a working dad,with young kids and not a great computer user. Life has come at us fast in the last year and I have not done many things very well or at least as well as I would like them to be.
              I have stated that if you wanted more info here I am, so fire away off the forum and I will answer all.
              As for you Bob Palma...thank you for all you do for the club. you don't know me but once when I was in need of advice and a little help you came thru in spades an I never really thanked you proper. so, thank you.
              lastly. BAms if you are serious. I will help transport the car anyway I can. I will drive the truck on my vacation time if need be. Rich

64 Daytona HT
              64 GT R1 Hawk(pkg)
              Mohawk Trails Chapter SDC
              64 GT R1 4sp Hawk

Comment

vin.#64v-19788 . the cowl plate reads 64v k6 1525. from the build sheet: final assy date 12/18/63 engine #jtsn 313

as for who did the work on the car. Scott Benson of Mesa did alot of what you see in the pictures, and WCD of northboro did the drivetrain rebuild.
                I did post more photos on the jet thrust site.
                as for a parts list.... I will need to scan the pages and make a transferable file.it runs 33 pages. i will scan a build sheet too.

64 GT R1 4sp Hawk(pkg)
                64 GT R1 4sp Hawk

Comment

Now I remember about your Dad, Rich L.

Just so you understand where I'm coming from:

This thread was the first I've ever heard about your quandry; and I come here several times every day, plus at least once a day to the racing Studes forum, Stude truck forum, Craigslist Stude listings country-wide, and the Stude Swap Page. I also watch eBay, both Stude car listings and parts, at least a few times every day. In all those venues I only remember vaguely hearing about it once. Really the first I heard of it was the mention that the car was to be parted and lost forever!

I have a legitimate love for these great old cars. I've been known to travel long distances and overpay for rough cars just because no one else would, and they're doomed to be lost forever- cars that haven't been made in over 4 decades, and that I love. I favor Larks because they're the least loved; but I feel they deserve to be saved whenever possible. You will frequently hear folks say "somebody needs to save this car!"... but most don't. I'm the guy that does, scoffed at or not. I just towed a raggedy 62 Lark 4dr. home 700 miles, so it wouldn't have to be crushed.

Then I see this situation- a truly special car, and one many of us dream of owning... and the first I hear is that someone has had no reasonable offers and so it will be parted, in spite of the fact that there's already been a lot of work and planning put into it. Combine that with the amount of involvement I have and that spells frustration- frustration since I had never seen or heard of the car in spite of the amount I look for Studes specifically.

I have helped find homes for plenty of Studes and parts; ask Bob Peterson. I have helped folks figure out how to get cars and parts shipped to them that they bought. Whenever I travel I offer free transport to Stude folks for stuff they've bought to save them on shipping. So I want you to know I'm not a grumbler or railbird- I try to contribute to the hobby where I can.

I absolutely can understand- and empathize- with your and your mother's situation. I lost my Dad way too soon and was left with a mountain of loose ends to tie up for my mother. So I can understand you've got to do what you've got to do. I just wish there was a chance to get the car into the hands of someone who could return it to it's former glory.

I do not have the money to buy the car and ship it here, let alone to finish it, although I have the space and ability. I would be willing to do anything I could to try and find it a home, at no charge of course. If it's not possible due to time constraints or your mother's wishes, I can certainly understand that; but there may be hope. This thread is a good start. Let us know your deadline, and we'll see what we can do. I will e-mail you.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Bob: You are fantastic part of our club and hobby. This post is an absolute revolation of your sincere desire to save our cars. Having met you in person and talked to you I think you are a great friend to me and to the Studebaker marque. Thank you for your dedication.

studedick from thr lower Ozarks

Comment

Bams. I do hope nothing I said was offesive. I know you have saved a great deal of tin that would otherwise met it's demise. I remember an unloved lark four door in particular.

I HAVE to move this car out of its current resting spot. it will go to the phoenix area to sit for a while more. the last time we move the whole project it took a small uhaul truck to hold all the parts. I did try to post this car before and it was in turning wheels(nov? dec? jan?) at one time. not one reply. I even checked to see if mom put in the wrong phone #(lol).
                      I am more than willing to wait to save this car. I have lost a lot of stomach lining and sleep over this car.
                      it is also one of the last physical objects to deal with from my dads passing. I struggle with that. I have been slow and less than vigorus because of it. I have to win the lottery and it just does not seem to be happening.
                      I want to save this car. more than I can express. just because he died doesn't mean that the dream to save this car has. I am glad that nice folks like you and BP and JDP are in the same mindset.
                      like I said on the jet thrust site. if you know someone who knows someone who has a possable interest....now is the time.Rich

64 GT R1 4sp Hawk(pkg)
                      64 GT R1 4sp Hawk

Comment

E-mail sent, Rich.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

More photos of it via this link:

Craig

Comment

It reminds me of Sid in so many ways, the PO was 50K in when I started.

here:http://www.stude.com/R2GT/

then done

If I could steal it, I'd build Sid II

JDP/Maryland
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

I'm making this reply in part to keep the post up near the top. It would be a tragedy if this car was parted out. I hope someone can save it.
                              The pictures that I have seen appear to show that the body is painted and some of the drive train is ready to go. How complete is the rest of the car? Is the interior ready also? Is all the chrome and stainless done? What if anything is missing?

Tim K.
                              '64 R2 GT Hawk
                              Tim K.
                              \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X