A 400+hp 58 Sky Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 400+hp 58 Sky Hawk

This retro-rod by Precision Auto Body's, Jack Peterson , was parked across from my GT at local show. Interior is all beautiful leather. I'm not usually impressed by less than authentic restoration but this was one beautiful piece of work!!

The 1950 Champion Starlight
    Santa Barbara
    CA

I don't know what it is for sure,but I know what it isn't.It was not formerly a Skyhawk as they were pillarless hardtops and it is not a 58 as they had filled in side grilles. I suspect it is/was a 56 Flight or PowerHawk since it is finless.

Frank van Doorn
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv
    1941 Champion R-2 Rod
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Agree, it's a beautiful custom '56 Power Hawk or Flight Hawk. Don't want to get too technical, but if a GMC-supercharged brand-X only makes 400hp, the engine builder should be ashamed of cutting that hole in the hood.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

Your right. It's a 56 Flight Hawk. MY BAD. I remembered Mr. Peterson told me Flight Hawk but my memory thought "Sky". And of course it would have fins if a 58. My current restoration is a 57 Silver Hawk----it has fins.
        Santa Barbara
        CA

Comment

I wasn't sure on the horsepower so put a "+" sign after the 400, meaning " more than".
          Please forgive.
          ...Dick Curtis
          Santa Barbara
          CA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

I suspect it is/was a 56 Flight or Power Hawk since it is finless.
            I agree it LOOKS like a '56 Power or Flight Hawk, but it COULD be a '57 Silver Hawk or even a '58 De-finned, judging by the close to the Headlight, mounting of the '56-'57 Parking Lights.

The only clearly '58 piece that I see, is that Accessory fake spare tire thingy, the same as a '58 Packard Hawk had! [:0]

It does have some excellent work, like those customized early Camaro or something, front bumpers. But IMHO, the engine is just way over-killed, too nice to run on the strip, too radical for the Street, so whatda ya do with it, maybe terrorize the local Police until they lock you up?

StudeRich
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It probably is a 56' by the scalloped doors.

Alex Nelsen
              1954 Champion Coupe
              Lizella, GA
              Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
              Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
              Lizella, GA

Comment

Working...
              X