Stupid Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Questions

What do you use to jump a hypothectical 6 volt battery ? What purpose is the lead hammer for , (no bounce back,? More Heft?

quote:Originally posted by 14x7

What do you use to jump a hypothectical 6 volt battery ? What purpose is the lead hammer for , (no bounce back,? More Heft?
    I do not know about a Hypothetical Battery, is that like a Virtual one?

Ideally you would use another 6V Battery or car with a 6 Volt Battery.

A Car with a real 6 Volt Battery can also be connected (jumped) for a short period of time with jumper cables to a 12V Batt. or car: + To + and - To -, to be started with all lights & equipment turned off. There are no diodes/transistors etc. to blow in a 1955 or older car like you would if you crossed the + & - or used a 24V Battery on a new car with 12V system. If you ran it very long while connected to 12V, you would burn the Ignition Points and could damage the Charging System.

A solid Lead Hammer is softer than a Steel one, and as such will due less damage to the surface, but is Usually heavier to do more work.

A "Dead Blow" hammer (full of lead shot) has a strong impact because of the internal movement of the shot and usually also has a softer case (plastic) for even less damage to the object.

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

From personal experience:

I used a 12 volt battery to jump start my 6 volt '29 Whippet, turned it over really well, but also burned out the ammeter, so be careful.

The lead hammer, as StudeRich said, is another type of 'soft hammer', like copper or hide hammers,(usualy pigs hide tightly scrolled on edge and fitted to a hammer head), gives you the weight and impact without damaging whatever you're hitting. I'm a fitter and turner by trade, (you guys call Journeymen I think), and have used them heaps of times to 'slightly' adjust a large casting in a lathe or milling machine.

Matt
      Brisbane
      Australia
      Matt
      Brisbane
      Australia
      sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Lead hammers are also used to remove knockoff caps on wheels so equipped.

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
        Jim
        Often in error, never in doubt
        http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Lead = soft

Steel = hard

Lead impacts steel and imparts force without distorting steel.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

For something between the two, use a brass hammer.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 14x7

A lead hammer can also be used to knock the extra volts from a 12 volt jump down into the hypothetical 6 volt battery where they can be used more effectively. Also useful for tapping unloved wheel covers back where they were before trying to walk off the wheel, reinstalling dents in straightened trim pieces, clearing the view from scratched windows, minor carburetor adjustments, and for making the dead blow from a dead blow hammer more deadly. Hope this helps!
              Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Working...
              X