Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed

I just sold a 63 GT Hawk on ebay, and the new owner wants to drive it from California to Ohio. since the car has only been a occasional daily driver, I would normally suggest shipping the car, but the new owner presents a quandary. He's Bob Stevens editor at large for bunch of Cars & Parts magazines, and he wants to drive it back and write a article on the adventure.
    The good news if the old gal makes the trip without a issue, we'll get good press, if the old master cylinder fails on a mountain road, not so much. How do I approach the issue fairly ?

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Good tires, brake inspection, spare parts (including a SDC roster), telephone, GPS, and a wifi capable laptop. Develop an itinerary, share it with the forum and let's make it an event. Let him know as in the "Verizon" commercials, he not only gets a Studebaker...he has the support of the "Studebaker Network!"

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Verizon Network??? LOL, I love it, John.

At the same time, it does present an opportunity to showcase one of the chief advantages to Studebaker ownership; an excellent support group.

Hmmm... then again... Nah, don't sell the car to the fella. He might let everyone know what a great deal Studebakers are and the prices will go up beyond anything I could afford. Shhhh... don't tell anybody![)]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jclary

Good tires, brake inspection, spare parts (including a SDC roster), telephone, GPS, and a wifi capable laptop. Develop an itinerary, share it with the forum and let's make it an event. Let him know as in the "Verizon" commercials, he not only gets a Studebaker...he has the support of the "Studebaker Network!"

John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975
        That's a great idea. I'll send him link to this discussion and he can join us while sharing the adventure. That way at least, he'll have a support network if something goes south. maybe he can even post his route in case he wants a pit stop, and maybe a cold beer. I'll even suggest he might want to include some of the forum comments as he goes.

JDP/Maryland
        JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

Verizon Network??? LOL, I love it, John.

At the same time, it does present an opportunity to showcase one of the chief advantages to Studebaker ownership; an excellent support group.

Hmmm... then again... Nah, don't sell the car to the fella. He might let everyone know what a great deal Studebakers are and the prices will go up beyond anything I could afford. Shhhh... don't tell anybody![)]

Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          He did get a great deal, under 7K for a R1 GT is a great deal.

JDP/Maryland
          JDP Maryland

Comment

I would go through the brakes if you have not already done so. I would give him a spare fuel pump, water pump and distributor if I had them. If he does not have a laptop then have him call someone to give occasional posts here and have someone standing by with a roster so they can call locals if he has issues along the way.

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
            1961 Hawk
            1964 Convertable
            1967 Avanti
            1961 Lark 2 door
            1950 Commander Starlight

Milt

1961 Hawk 4-speed
            1967 Avanti
            1961 Lark 2 door
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

quote:Originally posted by unclemiltie

I would go through the brakes if you have not already done so. I would give him a spare fuel pump, water pump and distributor if I had them. If he does not have a laptop then have him call someone to give occasional posts here and have someone standing by with a roster so they can call locals if he has issues along the way.

Milt

1961 Hawk
              1964 Convertable
              1967 Avanti
              1961 Lark 2 door
              1950 Commander Starlight

That's up to the new owner. It's a disk brake car, and we could spend %600-$700 just in parts. The car stops fine now, and may for 50,000 miles, or 50. I agree the brakes and tires should be checked. Ceasing to run is a inconvenience, ceasing to stop is a bummer.

JDP/Maryland
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Well,

It might be pretty boring as article fodder if the car runs like a new one. PLUS, you know this fella's intentions AND his credentials. He's probably had more old car on the road adventures than a number of us here have ever had. (Geez, I could tell a tale about the time we caravaned about 10 collector cars across the southeast in hot weather. This with a motley collection of "collector cars" That ranged from a Ferrari Daytona to a 1925 Locomobile sedan! I learned alot on that adventure, and most of my learnin' weren't about cars!)

Yes, we've seen (right here of late) tales of folks scoffing at the fickle gods of chance and going to get a car they've never set in in their lives and expecting they'll breeze on a thousand miles or so with maybe no more than needing a couple quarts of oil and some new wiper blades. And we've seen said attempts end in frustration and aggravation.

Still (Bob, if you're reading...) a simple preparedness kit and assuring that the tires and hoses look duty-worthy can alleviate alot of angst before it even develops. A fuel pump, a water pump, belts and relevant ignition parts - and, of course, the few basic tools that one might require to install any of these parts - and you can drive with confidence.
                All the stuff I mentioned can fit in a shoebox and hide in the trunk. If it were me, I'd have more tools, a set of cheap jumper cables and maybe a small gas can - or a jug that can double as a water container OR gas can.

But yeah, the "Studebaker Network", like Verizon, stretches from horizon to horizon. I'd be waiting for his call, but I suspect he won't be passing my way.[^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1963 Cruiser
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

John, Where is the guy leaving from in Cal? And if someone brakes down near me they can always call, if it isn't 3:00 in the morning.

Comment

If this guy knows anything about old cars-and he probably does-he knows that taking a 46 year old car on a 2000+ mile trip in the middle of summer can be an adventure, especially if he just bought it. He knows it was purchased "as is" and he's probably not going to blame anyone but himself if it overheats driving through 120 degree (in the sun) heat in Death Valley, CA or in Arizona, or if the brakes give out, or if the engine blows up. It wasn't the seller's idea to have him drive it back to Ohio so don't get all stressed out worrying about him. He's probably done it before and he knows what he's doing....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

Whoa Guys, I was not suggesting "giving" him anything. When I meant "support" I was not talking about your slacker grown kid that comes to visit just to raid your refrigerator...Give him a list of suggestions about what to take with him, offer some "horn blowing" waves and maybe a cup of coffee along the way, and be ready to assist in case the need arises. After all, we don't want to create what I call a "comer & goer"...over the years I have seen several "comer & goers"...they are the ones who buy a Studebaker, expect all other Studebaker folks to help fix it up for nothing, and then get their feelings hurt because no one worships them profusely for just showing up at meal time. When everything don't go their way...they go.

My suggestion was just to give him a good welcome, encouragement, and try to make sure that we ensure a greater chance of success and minimize the chances of problems.

John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jclary

John Clary
                        Greer, SC
                        I like it!, not only is he getting the car, he knows the group is watching, and ready to help. Albeit, that if he starts the trip with JDP's concerns he can't blame any mishaps on the Make,. Keep us informed.

ChopStu

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Tell him not to mention what he paid for it. Some one else might want to sell their Studebaker for what they are worth
                          Allen

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Alan

John, Where is the guy leaving from in Cal? And if someone brakes down near me they can always call, if it isn't 3:00 in the morning.
                            Elverta Ca, but he'll be a week or two.

JDP/Maryland
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 50Champ

If this guy knows anything about old cars-and he probably does-he knows that taking a 46 year old car on a 2000+ mile trip in the middle of summer can be an adventure, especially if he just bought it. He knows it was purchased "as is" and he's probably not going to blame anyone but himself if it overheats driving through 120 degree (in the sun) heat in Death Valley, CA or in Arizona, or if the brakes give out, or if the engine blows up. It wasn't the seller's idea to have him drive it back to Ohio so don't get all stressed out worrying about him. He's probably done it before and he knows what he's doing....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

Well, it's not his first adventure, he's done it with other old cars and I'm sure can swing a wrench. He's buying spares without my suggestion and with the forums help, he should have another adventure.
                              s I.

JDP/Maryland
                              JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X