Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 Cruiser parts car I got on the way home

...from CeRap...

Kind of an unusual car- 259 Auto TT, P/S, rear A/C that looks original. Has very nice reclining bucket cores, couple decent door panels, almost perfect dash and excellent red and white wheel. Has a clock in the glove box door. Also a really cool vintage SW tach![8D]

Mainly I wanted the rear end assembly. Checks out to be a 44 TT, 3:31 gears. Must be good shape, it made the 700-mile trip without any trouble! As a bonus, has an excellent pair of taillights[8D]

Engine has oil in it and the rad's full of green anti-freeze. Missing the A/C compressor and brackets. Maybe next week I'll rig up a can and see if it runs. If it does I'll put the driveshaft back in and try the trans.

Picked the car up in IL. Bought it off Craigslist last month. Typical story- rural area being crowded by development and the car had to go. Floors and frame are rough, so she's definitely a parts car.

Well worth the $400, but the 1400 mile round trip would have killed the deal But since I was going through there anyway......

Question- Shouldn't a Cruiser have higher-level trim on the outside??

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Bob, I had a 62 Cruiser parts car and I seem to recall it had the same trim as lower level Larks.

Joseph R. Zeiger
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

...from CeRap...
      Kind of an unusual car- 259 Auto TT, P/S, rear A/C that looks original. Has very nice reclining bucket cores, couple decent door panels, almost perfect dash and excellent red and white wheel. Has a clock in the glove box door. Also a really cool vintage SW tach![8D]
      Mainly I wanted the rear end assembly. Checks out to be a 44 TT, 3:31 gears. Must be good shape, it made the 700-mile trip without any trouble! As a bonus, has an excellent pair of taillights[8D]
      Engine has oil in it and the rad's full of green anti-freeze. Missing the A/C compressor and brackets. Maybe next week I'll rig up a can and see if it runs. If it does I'll put the driveshaft back in and try the trans.
      Picked the car up in IL. Bought it off Craigslist last month. Typical story- rural area being crowded by development and the car had to go. Floors and frame are rough, so she's definitely a parts car.
      Well worth the $400, but the 1400 mile round trip would have killed the deal But since I was going through there anyway......
      Question- Shouldn't a Cruiser have higher-level trim on the outside??
      What is the body number? I doubt if it is a Cruiser. I would have to check, but I think by '62 all Cruisers were 289s. The clock should be between the speedometer and the gauge cluster- may have been moved because of the tach. The rear windows should have opening vent wings- doesn't look like it does. The trunk a/c may be an early Novi unit ('55 to '57), but it definitely isn't original. I suspect it is a Regal that has had a bunch of odds and ends added over the years.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

It is a 62V-Y8, "Y" denoting long wheelbase; and it does have the rear vent windows. Also says Cruiser on the front fenders; so it must be, right?

The usual, uncut blank is in the clock position you mention behind the tach. The tach itself is a pretty cool piece, complete with the accompanying big control sturgits on the firewall[8D]

The engine is a V560,xxx which if I read it correctly makes it a 62 Lark 259. Must be a swap.

The A/C is complete including the two hard plastic vent tubes that go on top.

It's pretty neat sleuthing these things...

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Pretty neat, Bob! Is that a shrunken head hanging from the rearview mirrow?

BTW, please email me off-Forum with contact info on whoever purchased your 4-door Skytop.

Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I think only the Cruiser and Daytona had the woodgrain dash.Also.make sure to save the water collector on the firewall if it's good,they are very hard to find.Sounds like a great trip.

Comment

Bob,
              That's definately a higher trim level dash with the padding around the radio and the white faced instruments. I'd be interested in the whole dash if it's something you want to sell.

P.S. The Bud Light can in the back is non-vintage. Wonder how that got in there.....

Dan Peterson
              Montpelier, VT
              1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
              1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)
              1961 Lark Crusier
              1962 Lark V-8 Regal Convertible
              Dan Peterson
              Montpelier, VT
              1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
              1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dpson

Bob,That's definately a higher trim level dash with the padding around the radio and the white faced instruments.
                Actually this car appears to be a real Cruiser, but they came with a black faced clock, so it has been replaced, moved and the dummy from another car installed. The gauges on '62 Regal, Daytona & Cruiser were Black, so they have been downgraded to the '61 and Deluxe '62 type. Also of course, as Paul said the engine has been replaced with a 259.
                I can't see both of them, but I am pretty sure it has the factory option '61 Lark SW Ampmeter and Oil Pressure gauges added, which could be why all the Instruments were changed to White faced!

It has had the '55-'57 A/C added and even that Daytona gold Lark bird on the "C" pillar has been added.

So this Cruiser was once owned by a typical multiple Stude. owner who like many, enjoyed the ease of the great interchangeability of different years and models of Studebaker parts to customize his cars to suit his tastes rather than the designers! [:0]

This definitely IS a "special" car Bob, too bad it is so far gone it has to be parted out, but hey we can't save them ALL!

StudeRich
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the info, Rich! I knew you'd have the scoop on it. It does have the full set of gauges, as you guessed. And no, that's not a shrunken head on the mirror, but a pair of really tired fuzzy dice Would be a really nice car restored but the floors and especially the frame are totally shot[xx(] At least it's equipped to give some really good pieces to savable cars...

As for the beer can- one of the guys where I bought it tossed that in as a christening for a safe trip. I had no problems as usual, so maybe the can was the secret! I'll have to start adding one to every car I drag home 700 miles[)]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

My '62 Cruiser came standard with the 259.

As I understand it, the 289 was standard in Cruisers starting in 1963.

Cool car, Bob!

Tom
                    1960 Lark VIII
                    1962 Lark Cruiser
                    Tom
                    1960 Lark VIII
                    1962 Lark Cruiser
                    1964 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 259man

My '62 Cruiser came standard with the 259.

As I understand it, the 289 was standard in Cruisers starting in 1963.

Cool car, Bob!

Tom
                      1960 Lark VIII
                      1962 Lark Cruiser
                      I believe that you are correct. 1961 and 1962 Cruisers had a 259 standard with a 289 as an option. 1963 and 1964 Cruisers had a 289 as standard with R series engines as options.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Stuck home doing office work today[}][V] so needed a break. Threw a battery in the old girl. Turns over and makes oil pressure; carb is stuck. Every light works, down to the license plate lights! Rear A/C has two blowers, left and right, both work fine. Wipers and radio also work.

I pushed it into the garage and sprayed some PB Blaster on the carb shaft. Maybe it'll free up enough to start the engine. If it runs I'll put the driveshaft back in and try the tranny. I'll get back to it this week sometime.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Well, me and my young helper Elvis (yes, that's his real name!) finally had some Stude time, and spent it on the Cruiser. The carb was hoplessly stuck, so I switched it with another Stromberg I had that was decent. Filed the points and filled the float bowl and gave it a try- no fire. Checked for spark at the plug, nice and strong. It turns slow and makes a metallic screeching sound from the front of the engine. I pulled the belts to rule out any accessories; still makes that sound; like something's dry. Ultimately I gave up- I have no immediate need for the engine, and when I do I'll investigate further. It's full of oil, rad's full of green coolant, and it makes oil pressure, even turning slowly. I bet it's a good engine, definitely a good core for a rebuild.

Elvis pulled the A/C unit from the trunk. Looks pretty decent and both fans blow, so I didn't want to leave it potentially exposed to the elements. It's in good shape, all the way to the plastic deflectors at the top, inside the car. It's safely inside.

Looking at the car, the headliner is in remarkable condition- no holes, tears, or stains. I thought, too bad it can't be saved and reused... but no one to my knowledge has ever done so. Still, the rear window was smashed, so I pulled the rubber and started pulling at the glued edge. It seemed supple, so we pulled the rear seat and started on the C-pillars. Before we knew it, the headliner was out in one piece and unharmed, including the perfect 2-tone B-billar trim! The trick was at the front; I pushed the windshield out at the top just enough to free the headliner fabric, removed the headliner, and hooked the gasket back in.

The discolorations are only dirt; I tried a little Windex on one spot and it cleaned right up[8D]

I have no idea how well, or even if, it will take to reinstallation in another Cruiser, but at least there's a chance of it.

I had a rear window already out of another car with a gasket on it, so I set it in the opening. She also yielded an original bumper jack and two perfect taillight assemblies, including perfect lenses and even body-to-bezel gaskets that peeled of like brand new! I stuck a loose piece of plywood in place of the broken RF window, and out back she went. The rear proved to be a 44 TT with 3:31 gears; that'll go into my Daytona project someday, along with the near-perfect dash.

Good day, good parts, and good therapy messing with this stuff[^]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Wow Bob, that's a pretty cool trick getting a 47 year old headliner out in one piece![:0]

I believe the headliner should fit any '62 4-door sedan as they are all basically the same car. All 4-door sedans for '62 carried the "Y" on the trim tag for 113" wheelbase. The Y4 is the DeLuxe, Y6 Regal and the Y8 like yours is the Cruiser. I have a Y4 Deluxe and a Y8 Cruiser, they are nearly identical (including side trim) from the outside except for bumper guards, stainless drip edge and the rear vent windows.

I've had them for about 15 years and always considered them parts cars, but now I'm not so sure about the Cruiser. It's actually a pretty solid 60K car with TT, bumper wings, PB, clock, AC (gone now) and a pretty cool VIN# 62V20000. The engine is stuck and most of the side glass has been out of it since I got it, so it's not pretty inside (hence the parts car mentality).

Too bad we're not about 1300 miles closer, we could combine the two and make one good one![]

Skinny
                            Watertown, SD
                            Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skinnys Garage

Wow Bob, that's a pretty cool trick getting a 47 year old headliner out in one piece![:0]

I believe the headliner should fit any '62 4-door sedan as they are all basically the same car.
                              Yeah, that's the upside of Northern cars. Southern/Western cars don't rust like here, but ours don't get cooked like theirs. Frequently our interiors are well-preserved. This one has a gorgeous dash, and aside from the bottoms the door upholsteries held up fairly well. Downside of course is the floors and frame[xx(] Maybe I'll come across a solid one that needs a headliner- who knows?? Headliners don't cost that much, but it was so nice I couldn't resist trying. I can't remember the last time I saw a headliner that didn't have at least ONE mouse hole!

Are you sure the headliner will fit a regular sedan? I thought the Cruisers were longer WB, and therefore different headliner...

quote:Too bad we're not about 1300 miles closer, we could combine the two and make one good one!
                              Story of my life[xx(]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X