55 air dam holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 air dam holes

Ok guys, I am putting this one back together and can't figure out what the two holes on each side of the air darn are for.
    Help!

64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Horns???

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

quote:Originally posted by r1lark

Horns???

Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      HORNS IS CORRECT!...boy...the things we do for our Studebaker buddies. I made a visit to the dark "man cave" where an extraordinary original 55 pres coupe resides. I had to disturb a spider orgy, find something to place on the ground where I could get low enough to take a look in the dim light, and there they were.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks guys!!
        The horns were missing on this car when it came in.

53commander HDTP
        53 Champion HDTP
        64 Champ long bed V8
        64 Champ long bed V8
        55/53 Studebaker President S/R
        53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

My horns were missing, too, and now I have met the holes b4 I have to deal with'em. Thank you all!
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Some of these holes had a dual purpose. In manufacturing, good engineers have to think about manufacturing requirements as well as practical applications as well. When creating dies for stamping out and shaping parts, holes for dowel pins that keep the sheet metal in place during the process are required for the part. After the part is formed, if the hole location permits, it also serves an added purpose. That is the case with the holes in floor pans with the somewhat loose rubber or plastic plugs. The flat sheet metal gets the holes punched first, then the panels are placed in the die with the holes acting as "locators" to properly position the part and hold it in placed as the part is "stamped" and "drawn" into shape. The plastic plugs were tight enough to provide a loose seal but allow moisture to weep out. That is the theory, but those of us who lift carpets on these older cars, know it is better theory than reality.

John Clary
            Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
            SDC member since 1975
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
            X