289 to 302?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 289 to 302?

I have a 62 champ t cab truck and i was wondering if the newer 302 had the same motor mounts as the stock 289. If it does will there be any clearance probleams once the 302 is in there. Also how hard will it be to make this switch? Thank you in advance.

Oh i was also wondering if the studebaker 289 was even the same as the ford 289.

Comment

No

Comment

no is kind of a generic response. no there not the same or no its not gonnna work?

Comment

Well, I suppose it is an easy enough thing for someone to do: assume that all engines of the same displacement are similar. The engine size numbers, be they 289,302,427 refer to internal displacement, not the physical size of the engine.

Let's give the young man some room. So he learns that the Ford 302 is related and largeley interchangeable with the Ford 289, fair enough. Then he gets a Stude and finds out it too has a 289 and thinks "aha" - they are the same.

Now comes the educational part:
          1) Park your Stude next to a Ford - both with 289's.
          2) Lift the hoods on both.
          3) look at one engine, then look at the other.
          4) Notice all the differences.

The "aha" will become discovery: that just like not all people who are 6' tall look alike, neither do two engines from different manufacturers coincidentally with the same displacement.

Its a good lesson, and will hopefully start his mental catalog of what different manufacturer engines look like. Not all the same, different bore and stroke and bore spacing and so on. one is wide like a big block, the other is narrow and compact. Ignition distributor in the back on one, in the front on the other.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
          Packrat junk collector
          '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

The Ford and Studebaker have little in common, if you are thinking
            about an engine swap, the Ford has some features worth noting; it's
            lighter, smaller, cheaper to hop-up and it can be installed in a
            Champ Pick-up, but so can lots of other engines, I had a friend who
            used a 500CI Cadillac. Anything can be done, with enough money, time and effort. You might want to think about keeping the
            Studebaker engine for the following reasons, originalty, worth more
            if you ever decide to sell, and you can make it run. It might take
            a little more thought and time, but you won't be reinventing the wheel. As one of our members likes to say, your car, your money.
            Use the forum, most of the people here are friendly most of the time
            and they do have knowledge and good advice. Have fun with it.

Comment

Little in common would be a massive understatement.

Let's be clear: nothing, save for a few universal bolts, will interchange.

Nothing.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
              Packrat junk collector
              '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

They have about as much in common as a 360 Chrysler has with a 360 Ford, or a 327 AMC with a 327 Chevy.

60 Lark convertible
                61 Champ
                62 Daytona convertible
                63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2)
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Well I wanna start by saying thank you. A little story on the truck. I have had this truck sisnce i was a baby. My father bought the truck brand new in 62 from hobey sstudebaker in orville ca. The truck is sitting wrecked due to a lady running into the back of it at 60 when it was parked. Now The plan for the truck. I am trying to keep the over all look of the truck the same short of a lot of horse power and one low mean look. So what i mean is wheen you walk past the truck you see a studebaker till i start it and hit the street. I was also wondering if the cylinder walls are thick enough to bore it bigger and jsut keep the stock motor? Guys I know what i wanna do i just dont know how to do it with out ruing what my dad bought and i hold so dear. I love this truck so much that i have the key to it tattoed on my arm as a memorial to my dad.If you guys have any goood ideas please help. Thank you so much.

Comment

I think the knowledge you guys have will be the bible i need to do this the right way. lol

Comment

I too have a '62 Champ. You asked if the engine could be bored out. Assuming it is a V-8, it can be bored out a lot. There are performance people on the forum that are knowledgeable about getting the most out of these engines.

You can search several years of Q & A about Studebaker in past forum posts. There is a ton of material to read.

Good luck with the truck and come back often.

Comment

You might want to go to this site for more performance information:

Dan White
                        64 R1 GT
                        64 R2 GT
                        Dan White
                        64 R1 GT
                        64 R2 GT
                        58 C Cab
                        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Give us a little background about yourself as far as your experience and ability in regards to fabrication, rebuilding, motor swaps etc. Is this your first major attempt or??

Here's my take, if this is your first major project (I won't call it a restoration as that is such a misused term) I'd counsel you to leave it stock and any modification that you'd like to make like brake or AC upgrades go with a kit that has been tried and tested. Stay away from the drivetrain swap as this is just going to cause you headache and more $$. Redo the stude pwr plant with the standard performance upgrades and you'll be on the road in a much faster timeframe. You'll get just as many accolades and thumbs up regardless of which engine you have. Later on in a few years you can always continue to make custom changes by then you'll have more experience and a better idea of what you'd like the end product to be.

Russ (been there done that........the wrong way many yrs ago[:0] )

I think the knowledge you guys have will be the bible i need to do this the right way. lol
                          [/quote]

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                          53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                          57 SH (project)
                          60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                          53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                          57 SH (project)
                          60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Well i have worked on cars alot as a kid and kept up with general repais on my own cars i got older. I have had a classic before and sold it because i didnt really know much about it. I am head set on keeping this truck at all costs due to the family connection i have with it. I have not restored a vechile before but my brother in law has alot of knowledge when it comes to doing alot of what i want done but i wanna do most of it my self and with my son because i wanna pass it down to him. I am not looking to build a race truck just one strong street truck with a good amount of horse power. So my question now is caan or should i go 10 to 11 over on the bore of the block. I am also gonna do a big brake kit on it and an air bag systeam as well. But first things are to get the drivers door open so i can atleast get into it. lol

Comment

Some one on the forum might be able to direct you to the Stude pick-up with the late model Ford step-side box. Sounds like you might
                              need something like that, updated look, but still looks like a
                              Studebaker. As far as the engine goes the best way to improve on
                              studebaker performance is Super Charger plus head work should get
                              you in the 300 HP range.

Comment

Working...
                              X