X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hear crickets...

Wow.
    Quiet today. Not even an eye candy.
    I suppose a lot of beautiful Studebakers are being judged right about...now.
    Ah well, those of us not in Cedar Rapids will ahve a lot of pictures to look at tomorrow I am sure.

I had noticed the missing eye candy but now that you mention it tis quiet here today. Steve
    sigpic

Comment

OK, here's an Eye Candy stand-in...Seen last Thursday at Cambridge, Ontario, this is SDCer Sheldon Rier's 1937 Coupe Express.

Comment

Looks a lot better in Red then Yellow. . . shut up, Jeff! []

Only real thing that looks better in Yellow is a few selected BEERS!

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
        1956 Transtar
        1905 Farm Wagon
        Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
        1905 Farm Wagon

Comment

quote:Looks a lot better in Red then Yellow. . .
          I'd have to agree, and I like the Rice-mobile.

Chris Pile
          Editor: The Studebaker Special
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

The more you look at a Coupe express the more you fall in love with one.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Personally I feel that vehicle was the best one ever produced by Studebaker. It was decades ahead of the Ranchero or El Camino in giving the appeal of an automobile and the function of a truck. It's just another example of things I love that I will never be able to afford to own.

Doug

1950 Champion 9G F1

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Invalid User Name

Personally I feel that vehicle was the best one ever produced by Studebaker. It was decades ahead of the Ranchero or El Camino in giving the appeal of an automobile and the function of a truck. It's just another example of things I love that I will never be able to afford to own.

Doug

1950 Champion 9G F1
                I agree and add that one of the strongest points on these trucks was the frame. Ever look under the body and see the massive frame? Perhaps others can comment with greater knowledge, but just from getting down and looking under a couple of these, they look to be sitting on a terrific foundation. Two things I would have liked to have seen in a coupe express would have been a little more creative treatment of the back window...perhaps a bat wing like the 36 and 37 coupes...also the original Studebaker logo in script embossed in the tailgate would have been great.
                One thing about the Studebaker trucks...they are "honest trucks"...raw, sturdy, and useful. They look, ride, feel, and behave like trucks. Nothing more and nothing less.

John Clary
                Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
                SDC member since 1975
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

You know, I find it interesting that a true classic beauty doesn't need to be 'improved' at all. This truck was beautifully done. Though, I must vote yellow over red, which I don't like, or better yet, green! Yes, Studebaker came up with a winner here, and during the Depression at that! It's kinda too bad they didn't continue with it. Dick's Ute would have been the successor, but shortsightedness seems to have been an endemic disease in the company's management.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

When I was much younger I remember seeing two Hudson pick ups in a bone yard and they were very similar to the Stude Coupe express. Did the coupe express have contemporary competition?
                    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I may be wrong, but I think the Hudson trucks came a bit later. They are fabulous looking trucks. I think they might be somewhat larger. You are right though, great looking vehicles.

John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'm guessing '41 or '42. They were long in the hood and seemed long in the box, but I was two feet shorter, too!

Comment

1937-8-9-40-1-2-6-7-8. Looked like their car counterparts but with beds. jimmijim
                          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Thanks, Jim. Haven't seen once since. The rear ends were out of both of them that I can remember. Shoulda used Dana 44s?

Comment

If I have done this right... here is a link that should show a picture of a 39 hudson truck.

John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X