PDA

View Full Version : A thief in Cedar Rapids

52-fan
07-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Got a call a little while ago from my brother in Cedar Rapids. Someone stole at least one item from his table and a couple from the table next to him. He showed a door latch to a fellow Sunday PM while he was getting set up. He covered his things and left to check into his motel just before the building was supposed to close at 4PM. When He arrived this morning, he could not find the part and his neighbor was missing at least 2 HOT Wheels toys off of his table. :(
They found out that the building was left open until around 7PM instead of being secured as they were told. He had some things go missing last year too. This kind of thing is happening all too often and it would seem that vendors will have to bring less and put it away each day or stay on guard 24 hours a day. Joe doesn't really make any money on this parts business he just likes to help people out and meet folks. This kind of thing makes it hard to keep at it. [V]

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s186/52-fan/StudebakersofArkansas2-1.jpg
1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
"I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."

studegary
07-13-2009, 02:06 PM
This is a sad state of affairs. I hope that they had video surveilance of the area, or at least the exits. Was SDC or the location supposed to do the 4 PM lock-up? I would think that they were, at least, partially responsible.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

52-fan
07-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Not really trying to place blame. More like a warning to be alert. The main reason Joe realized the latch was missing was because he was going to show it to someone else and it wasn't there.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s186/52-fan/StudebakersofArkansas2-1.jpg
1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
"I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."

58PackardWagon
07-13-2009, 05:29 PM
It certainly takes the fun out of it.

57 & 58 Packards and Larks

jclary
07-13-2009, 06:38 PM
I just wonder how someone could do such a thing as pilfer a couple of toys and an old car part[?]... and walk by the memorial table set up for the Stones. When thinking of them...all the little trinkets of the world sorta pale in comparison to what is really important in life.

barnlark
07-14-2009, 12:50 AM
This baloney really ticks me off. What's wrong with people? You have to go out of your way and know what people have on their table that is worth money, lift up tarps and steal with confidence that no one is looking. These aren't kids doing this. Takes the fun out of an International Meet. Now I'm going to worry about my stuff and my car the rest of the week.

clonelark
07-14-2009, 02:15 AM
These things really tick me off also, at our zone meet last year i lost a new R2 carb from the rear floorboard of my car. I took it to the meet because i thought i might sell my car with the R2 setup that i hadn't installed on my car yet and wanted to be able to show i had the parts for a 64 R2 set up. I had one person who kept coming back and talking to me about the car but he never did buy it. He is my main suspect but i can't prove it, then later on in the day i took a guy to the parts store to get a starter for his car, and several guys all piled into the car when we went. I know it wasn't the guy i was helping but the people in the rear seat had to see the carb in the rear floor. I didn't miss it till the meet was over.
This year at the same meet i took both the Conestoga and the 64 Lark to the meet. I left the Lark in the Hotel parking lot friday night, and had the g/f take me home and i would bring the Conestoga early saturday morning. when i got there and started cleaning up the Lark i noticed someone had stole one of my chrome windshield wipers and replaced it with a black plastic wiper. Makes me not want to take my car next year. One guy can kill the club, hope he gets caught. I've never mentioned this to the club because i dont want to spoil it for everyone else. But we need people to watch out for each others cars and parts.

http://i32.tinypic.com/411sz.jpg

wolfie
07-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Is the same theif from Lancaster there? Steve

Roscomacaw
07-14-2009, 11:35 AM
I had a nice set of truck hubcaps lifted out of the bed of my truck at the '03 meet in Sacramento. Talk about ballsey - I was making multiple trips from the truck to the indoor vendors area - one trip, I noted them waiting to be carried inside, next trip they were gone!:(

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1963 Cruiser
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

hamhock
07-14-2009, 03:41 PM
And here I thought Studebaker people were above behaviour like that.

wolfie
07-14-2009, 04:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by hamhock

And here I thought Studebaker people were above behaviour like that.

I am happy to say most are. We had so much stuff walking from flea market tables and auctions we quit fooling with them. And as for brass, one of Moms neighbors discovered his tool shed broken into and his tool boxes emptied. He called the police and while they were in the driveway on one side of the house doing the report the theives came back and stole the boxes from the shed on the opposite rear corner less than 50' away. No use for theives (except target practice). Steve