rear fenders for 50 2dr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear fenders for 50 2dr

Hello I am new to this forum and new to Studebaker ownership i just got a 1950 2dr that is in good original condition and would like to restore it the body is solid with one exception under the rear fender rock guards the fenders are completely rusted nothing remaining to rebuild from. So can I get replacement fenders or at least the front lower corners? I have many more questions but the fenders are the biggest concern for me thanks for your help.

There's currently no patch panels for that problem. You'll have to find good used ones to work with. 50 - 51 - 52 2door fenders will work. Earlier years would fit up, but the taillight placement is different. Figure on paying somewhere between $200 to $500 for really solid ones, IF you can find such. Since all the fenders suffered the same malady, what you might hope to find is some that have some rust in that area, but have enough meat left to work with.

Good luck with your search and WELCOME to the forum.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks so who has some that at least the front bottom are still good I'm ready to buy if the price is ok.Or does any one know a shop that can fix mine?

Comment

Dan, I see you're in Texas. With something as big as these rear fenders, location can be a big factor. It's not something one can stuff in a Priority Mail Flat Rate box!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1963 Cruiser
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Fabricating those corners is not impossible; tedious, but not impossible.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I suppose that's true Brad. And what's more, it wouldn't have to be perfection if you were going to install the gravel guards that belong there. It's usually the gravel guards fault to a degree, that it's all rusted out in the first place.[}]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1963 Cruiser
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

Comment

I will know more tomorrow on a 2door 50 will post then

Mabel 1949 Champion
              Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
              Gus 1958 Transtar
              The Prez 1955 President State
              Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
              Daisy 1954 Commander Regal Coupe
              Fresno,Ca
              Mabel 1949 Champion
              Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
              Gus 1958 Transtar
              Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
              Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
              Fresno,Ca

Comment

while anne is checking on the fenders I'll give you some insite on trouble spots.

The below pics are from two different bodies of 1949 Champions.

Front body mounts bolted to the cross member. This is directly infront of the door behind the front wheel. Always a rusty area.

the area here will rust through to the inner floor corner by the door post.

Trunk, rear most body mounts.

Directly behind the rust you are describing, check that entire inner fender area.

Also the floor pans, and trunk pans will get rusty if the door seals have leakage issues. Another common problem is the seal around the door. The body shells had a "channel" built into them. The channel is what the door seals ride in. They get rusty as well.
                I'm only showing you this so if your car is in good shape then these would be areas to just keep a good eye on over the years. If you have surface rust or rust bubbles then it is best to take care of it now rather than later, meaning when you can, a few years and that metal may not be so good.

My photobucket of 1949 champion restoration
                Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Thanks everyone I appreciate the worm welcome. I do agree that shipping is expensive for big stuff but so is a good body man so if you know of some good rear fenders I would love to know about them also not as important but I could use an extra front right fender and a trunk lid to save me from doing body work.

Comment

I've got all but the trunklid, in what I consider to be very good condition. The rear fenders have some distortions to them, but are really very solid. I say very solid, but there IS some perforation on one of them right where the gravel guard held water and dirt for 40 years, but there's enough left to rebuild them. They would require the attentions of a body man, either way. You'll have to get awfully, awfully lucky to find 60-year old fenders that don't require some attention!
                    I'm kinda amazed that someone hasn't popped these rear fenders (front ones too - for bullet nosed cars) in fibreglass.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1963 Cruiser
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

Comment

Well the 50 two door at the Auction went for more than I was willing to pay. Sorry about that. I am pleased to say that both were sold and have a new chance at getting back on the road. I went to make sure that they didn't end up as scrap.

Mabel 1949 Champion
                      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                      Gus 1958 Transtar
                      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                      Daisy 1954 Commander Regal Coupe
                      Fresno,Ca
                      Mabel 1949 Champion
                      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                      Gus 1958 Transtar
                      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk