$58,900 1956 Golden Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $58,900 1956 Golden Hawk

A few days ago I paid $5.99 to get an "official price guide" for my 56J. Over the past few eeks we realized that our car's leases will be coming to an end soon and we want to down size. We found a "crossover" car which would carry 60% the Navigator does and based on the passed couple of years of shipping our stuff ahead to meet hotels, all we would need to carry would be the equipment. So, now to find me a car. I always wanted a Corvette and late 90's are selling for $12,000 approx, and a convertible Buick Reatta goes for around $9,000 to $11,000.

SO......at a cruise today a guy had a Hemmings and we were looking through it. Right now there is a 1956 56J in Hemmings, and on line with an asking price of $58,900. Which is very interesting as the computer spit out that I paid for stated a #1 56J...... and there really aren't any based on the way JDP apprases cars is supposed to sell for $48,000. In either case I want whatever these folks are smoking or taking.

BG

That's right up there with the $69,000 GT. The deal is simple enough - this is how some dealers fish for buyers. Seems odd, but it works sometimes when the potential buyers are familiar enough with the prices on "rare" brand X cars - but they don't do any research on the Stude.

Most of the time it results in no sale, but that is the beauty of America - you are free to try out any sales strategy you wish!

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
    Packrat junk collector
    '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Oh boy! Studebakers are getting too expensive for my beer budget! Time to join the Corvette club so I can find something in my price range[)]... well, maybe not!
      Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

That is always the interesting part when a dealer steps way out there in pricing inventory - what else could a potential buyer get for that kind of money?

For ~ $60 large there are a lot more interesting cars out there than this '56J. I already own a Corvette convertible, and they have to be the most practical car of their type to own - good gas mileage too.

BG if you want a Corvette convertible I would seriously recommend that you pay a little more and get a C5 era ('98 to '04). You should be able to find a very nice early C5 for under $20k, and they are hands down a better value (even at a higher initial purchase price) then the lower dollar C4.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
        Packrat junk collector
        '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

I know nothing about this '56J car or dealer other than it has been on the market for some months now. Since it is neither a correct restored car, a hot rod nor a custom, it is sort of out on it's own.

It might be it is a consignment car. If the dealer has no investment other than his advertising, he can promise the owner the moon. This is a common practice when the housing market is hot. Owners ask a dream price and wait to see if anyone is crazy enough to pay it. Realtors take the listings and if it sell, great commissions. If not, they are out only a bit of labor for an open house.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

Working...
          X