brake shoe disentegration possible ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake shoe disentegration possible ??

I am redoing a '52 Commander, outbid the "scrappers" and saved it from the crusher. It's rusty and homely but it'l fix. I intend to keep it and drive it. It had been stored in and out for 37 years. Will the brake shoes now on the car disentegrate when put to use ??? I can get them relined for $75 locally and no shipping costs....all 4 wheels. I fired up the engine today for the first time with the help of an SDC member and it runs like a top. It did need points, and wouldn't fire until replaced....Brad

quote:Originally posted by bradnree
    Will the brake shoes now on the car disentegrate when put to use ???
    Probably not, but the hydraulic part of the system will be toast (flex hoses, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, and most likely the hard lines)

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick I used 1200 to 2000 wet-dry, an air polisher with cleaner, and then wax to make it less homely. Has a rust situation, but has lots of good points too....Brad

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bradnree

Dick I used 1200 to 2000 wet-dry, an air polisher with cleaner, and then wax to make it less homely. Has a rust situation, but has lots of good points too....Brad
        Post some pics, Brad! []

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

If the shoes didn't get wet, they'll probably be OK. I've seen some old bonded shoes that have gotten wet and the lining parted company with the shoe!
          WHATEVER you do - put 3 new brake hoses on it when you redo all the hydraulic parts.

For that matter, replace the flex hose that comes off the back of the right head. This hose transmits engine oil pressure to the gage and it's likey crispier than potato chips after all these years. If it cracks and dumps all your oil out......[xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Piece of mind for $75? Sounds like an excellent deal to me.
            /H

Comment

Mr. Biggs: I noticed oil seepage at that point. Looks like replacement time.....Brad

Comment

Very good warning. My dad fried an engine because the oil line broke, and he was unable to get out of traffic immediately.

I wasn't in the truck when it happened.

Paul

Comment

I agree that there's probably nothing wrong with using old brake shoes that have been sitting for a long time. I've never been able to try it though. On every old car I've bought to fix up (I hesitate to use the word "restore"), when I pulled the wheels the brake shoes were always worn down to where they wouldn't pass Pa. inspection. You'd think of all the old cars I bought through the years, at least ONE would have had usable brake shoes on it, but NO.....[V]

Comment

I got lucky on mine! The brake shoes were new, but I did have to replace the Wheel cylinders and Brake hoses. Probably because the car sat for qood while under a carport and didn't have the DOT-5 brake fluid.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Paul, you mentioned your dad's mishap. People deridingly like to call an oil pressure or water temperature light an "idiot light", but they're a darn good thing. A person isn't always watching a guage and it can go up or down and you never notice until steam or smoke is exiting the hood. At least a red light has a better chance of catching your eye. I added a buzzer to the oil pressure system on my Oliver tractor, when there's no oil pressure, it emits an extremely annoying noise and it definately catches your attention. My White tractor came from the factory with gauges, lights AND buzzers for oil, water and air cleaner. Smart move if you ask me.

Comment

All new brake lines, rebuilding the cylinders, new relined rear shoes, the front shoes are old and o.k.....Brad

Comment

I can hardly count how many times I've seen people compromise on brake parts on old cars. I wish that people would not count pennies when it comes to the safety of these old cars. Rubber parts deteriorate. period. Replace them. Bleed brake systems regularly. Inspect hoses annually.
                          I had the misfortune of bursting a rear brake flex hose when on tour last spring. It was not pretty. Someone was watching over us as we were able to get stopped and subsequently got home in one piece.
                          The cost of brake repair in the new era cars with ABS and computer control is outragious compared to our sweet old manual systems. Just spring your allowance loose and do it !!

Brian K. Curtis

Comment

Working...
                          X