Studebakers in your Genes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers in your Genes?

I am new last week on the Forum so maybe this type of thread has been started before. I just thought it would be fun for posters to show their photos of Studebakers that belonged to their parents, grand-parents, great grand-parents and maybe some outlaw uncles.

maxpower1954 said in the "What is in your glovebox?" thread that his box had a photo of his great-grand father looking under the hood of his 1925 Studebaker Light Six touring car, at his Lakeland, Florida home. I'd like to see that.

The only known documented Studebaker before 1970 in my family tree was the 1947 Business Coupe my folks had when I was three years old in 1958. The only known photo of the car is below with yours truly taken in Merced, California shortly after we moved there from Riverside. I still remember riding and sleeping up on the shelf.

I've wanted a Business Coupe for years but have yet to own one. Somewhere the other day I saw a 1947 Business Coupe for sale in Sacrmento area. Maybe its the same one?

In the late 70's my Dad bought a low mileage re-painted biege 1951 Champion Deluxe 2-door Sedan in Boise from the original owners. It was the getaway car I used when my wife and I were married in January 1986 in Meridian, Idaho. Dad sold it a couple years later to a Car Wash owner in Boise and it was painted black soon afterward. Don't know it's fate but I'll post a photo of it later in this thread.

No pictures but my grandad used Studebaker trucks on the farm until they closed the plant. My dad learned to drive in those farm trucks.

Chris Pile
    Editor: The Studebaker Special
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

No Studes in my childhood, but I do recall play-driving my folk's 53 Nash Statesman while it set in the driveway. That would've been about '55 or '56.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

There have been a few posts that have touched on the subject of Studebakers in one's childhood. Here are at least a couple of threads with photos in it that come to mind:

Though there were two Studebakers in my life while growing up, AFAIK, no photos of them exist at all.

Craig

Comment

My Great-Grand Father from what I was told had owned one but I know nothing else of it. Coincidently his name was Harry Studebaker.

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

Comment

Since Craig posted this thread:

Some of my pictures are on there, but I have some more, of course, I have posted them also, but here they are.

This was my Mother's 53 Champion when I was 12 years old, in 1957.

My Mother traded the 53 Champion on a 58 Silver Hawk.

These were my friends cars and me by the Hawk.

Then my Mother traded the Hawk on a 61 Lark. This when I took it to the drag strip.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Lowell, this is my 50 Champion. My parents bought it new in 1949 and it has never left us. I have rebuilt it, but it is as it was off the assembly line. I was born 9 months after they purchased, so we are the same age.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I don't have any photos, but when I was a kid (born in '37), my dad had a '39 Commander. What I remember about this car was its quietness and great ride. I wish I had that car today. The only negative was the maroon paint faded. It's my understanding that reds and maroons were hard to keep up.
                Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

My grandfather had a 61 Lark 6 4 door in the late sixties which he took cross country from Connecticut to Southbend then to Colorado and California in one trip in 1969 towing a camping trailor. Sorry pics are in CT. Other than that my Mom's maiden name is Erskine. Even comes from the town Erskine in Scotland. Any relation?[?]

Alex Nelsen
                  1954 Champion Coupe
                  Lizella, GA
                  Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                  Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                  Lizella, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Lowell, this is my 50 Champion. My parents bought it new in 1949 and it has never left us. I have rebuilt it, but it is as it was off the assembly line. I was born 9 months after they purchased, so we are the same age.

Let's see Bob...you were born 9 months after your parents purchased this car...Hmmm...Drive-in movies were very popular back then...you might be more connected to this car than most!

John Clary
                    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
                    SDC member since 1975
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

No relatives of mine owned Studebakers before I did or since I have.
                      My wife's father purchased a new 1949 Champion as his first car (lived in NYC and didn't need a car before that) and later purchased a new 1963 Cruiser.
                      Cathy and I each only owned Studebakers when we met. We have been married for 46 years and have stayed active in the Studebaker community through the years.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:
                        How tall is the guy on the left-about 4' 6"? The car is taller than he is....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jclary
                          [br

Let's see Bob...you were born 9 months after your parents purchased this car...Hmmm...Drive-in movies were very popular back then...you might be more connected to this car than most!

John Clary
                          Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
                          SDC member since 1975
                          John, I have thought of that often and use it as a claim for the sentimental attachment I have to the car. Like I said, exactly the same age.

I also forgot to mention, as others have, the other Studes in my family. My dad had a 30, a 40, my 50, a 57 Hawk, and a 64 Daytona. He swore by them, and I learned that from him.

Comment

Maternal granddad had at least two Studebakers...this '49 Champion 4dr, seen with Mom in 1956...

...and this Starlight, which we think was either a green '51 or a tan '52. This is the only photo of it, taken as Mom arrived at her wedding to Dad in September 1958...the gent on the left is my granddad.

We've been mostly a Pontiac family in the years since; as far as I know the next Studebaker in the family after these two was a certain blue '62 Lark...

S.

Comment

Gary, wow, you're married 46 years? Where did you go wrong? (Henny Youngman joke). Actually, my wife & I will be married 45 years next month.
                              Happy Anniversary.
                              Rog

Smithtown,NY
                              Smithtown,NY
                              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                              X