advice on my overdrive problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on my overdrive problem

I've had my 64 Daytona for 2 years and I'm finally getting a chance to fix the overdrive. Its been in low range (normal) all this time. The cable is hooked up and forward. The kickdown fuse is good and I bugged out all the wiring and is ok. With key on, voltage to one side of governor. When I jumper the governor, the solenoid clicks per the shop manual troubleshooting guide. The book says probably a bad governor......
    I would like to try to put a toggle switch in to jumper the governor to test it on the road. Should be no issue with this,,,,right???
    Might even leave it there for this summer till I tear it down this winter for more detailing. The toggle switch would simulate the governor kicking in at 25 to 30 miles per hour manually, without the governor accually working. Comments or experiences that help me???Thanks, Greg

greg hellmuth

That should work the governor is a simple switch electrically. You might be able to clean it out with electrical cleaner and get it functional too.

Ron Dame
    '63 Champ
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Comment

You can remove the governor to clean its contacts, it unscrews from the transmission. Just remove the four screws on the cover and the contacts will be exposed. The contacts become contaminated with oil if the trans has been in service for a long period of time. Sometimes the contacts are worn to the point of needing replacement. Bud

Comment

Greg, the short answer is as long as the OD circuit becomes grounded, the system works with no problems.

If you use the search feature with something like "OD diagnosis" you should find hundreds of threads, all with the same answers.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

NEW NEWS....Well, I jumpered the governor and took it for a drive and hit 30 mph and manually shifted the OD. Didnt work. Crap....
          I can hear the solenoid pick, so lets assume electrics are all good.Any new ideas guys? Probably internal? Double crap. Thanks, greg

greg hellmuth

Comment

That's exactly where I am with mine, Greg. Electical works and I have freewheeling, just no engagement. Someone told me to check the fluid, so that is next on my list. If not that, I guess I may be replacing the whole transmission.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by greg

NEW NEWS....Well, I jumpered the governor and took it for a drive and hit 30 mph and manually shifted the OD. Didnt work. Crap....
              Not that it matters much in this case with probably issues in the Planetary Unit or other mechanical part, BUT that is NOT how you drive an O.D car! If you want to use O.D. you push the O.D. handle all the way IN, before starting to drive, NOT after!

Is the wire connected from the kickdown switch to the Distributor or coil lead to Dist.?

StudeRich
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes, coil negative is connected to the kickdown. Thanks for input. Greg

greg hellmuth

Comment

Greg, If your trans mission is freewheeling then most likely the roller (sprag) clutch is ok.
                  It sounds as if the solenoid is not engageing the blocking ring / pawl.
                  The solenoid has a sort of ball on the end that has flat sides that engages the pawl.
                  Try taking the screws out of the mounting flange of the solinoid and pulling it straight out without twisting it.....it should not pull all the way out. If it does it means that it was not engaging the pawl correctly.
                  To reinstall the solenoid you must rotate the flats of the end of the solenoid ball parallel to the ground and push the unit into the transmission and THEN rotate the mounting flange to line up the mounting holes. This engages the pawl without pushing it out of the way...
                  I hope some of this makes sense.
                  If you look at the shop manual I think it will be more clear.

Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-242-3530

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Greg, 1 more thing I forgot to mention and I know it is obvoius but I thought it deserves mentioning. Make sure that the control cable it actually moving the transmission lever all the way.
                    Just because it moves on the dash dosen't always mean it is at the trans[:0]
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The trans is not freewheeling. Its driving just like a 3 speed car. The cable is moving the lever on the trans properly. I did also check the oil in both units of the trans and OD. I will try the solenoid items you mentioned. The car is pretty zippy with the 3.73 gears and no OD but the mileage stinks......Thanks again. Greg

greg hellmuth

Comment

if it's not freewheeling and the cable is all the way pushed in (and the lever is against its stop) you got transmixer problems.

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I just rebuilt my overdrive on my 51. Here are a couple of tips. First of all my solenoid clicked so I thought it to be good.I pulled the rear housing off the trans and disassembled everything and found nothing wrong except that my clicking solenoid didn't have full throw and would not go far enough to lock the pawl !!!!! I took the solenoid apart and freed up the shaft and increased throw by an inch from what it was. Put the whole thing back together and it works fine. A very simple test to see if the unit's sprag is good and planetary is working is to jack up the car,put it in neutral with the overdrive lever in(engaged) and turn the driveshaft. The driveshaft should only turn in one direction and not the other. This will tell you immediately if the sprag is good. If it turns both ways you need to disassmble the back of the trans.The whole unit only has really 4 parts and is so simple there is little to go wrong as long as it wasn't run without oil. Look at the solenoid throw first. Remove the 2 bolts,turn 90 degress to the right and it pulls right out. Check it first.It should go in and out by 1 1/4".

Comment

Greg, there's something in your original post that doesn't smell just right. It's this statement here: "The cable is hooked up and forward."

The cable should be hooked to the little lever on the left rear of the tranny, but that lever should NOT be forward. If it IS forward, it's in straight drive and it won't freewheel at all. That little lever has to be ALL THE WAY back as far as it can go to be in OD.

As Rich says, there's no gladhanding of the OD knob while driving. Unless you're dealing with really hilly terrain, push it (the knob) all the way in while not moving and forget about it.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1963 Cruiser
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

i am having a situation with my od as well, on my 49 Champion I get free wheeling but no engagement, sometimes i believe I hear a noise when I lift off the throttle. It is a clicking or ticking, like gears not meshing but a really faint noise, and it stops after just a couple of seconds. I thought that I had hooked the cable up so it pushes the lever all the way back, or at least I thought I did, ANY help would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!!!
                              Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X