Gear oil for the differential?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear oil for the differential?

I drained the differential oil and replaced the pinion seal in my twin trac rear end in the 64 Super Lark while working on the car at JDPs house last fall.

To date, I haven't refilled the diff. Will the internals be OK since it wasn't refilled right away?

Also, I have some Valvoline 80w90 gear oil in the garage right now. The bottle says all the right things like for differentials with limited slip and for manual transmissions.

Would this be a good oil to use or do you have another recommendation?

Thanks for the help, Jeff

quote:Originally posted by studefan

To date, I haven't refilled the diff. Will the internals be OK since it wasn't refilled right away?

Also, I have some Valvoline 80w90 gear oil in the garage right now. The bottle says all the right things like for differentials with limited slip and for manual transmissions.

Would this be a good oil to use or do you have another recommendation?
    That Gear Oil should be fine if the API Spec. is GL5. Before GL-5 came out you were supposed to add 4 oz. of Limited Slip Additive (friction modifier) whenever doing a complete drain, it no longer seems to be necessary.

If the diff. was not stored in a damp place, and was sealed up with axles in, it may not have rusted up, whenever possible avoid leaving it dry.

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Valvoline 80W-90 with a GL-5 rating is fine for use in your differential. If you are concerned about the limited slip, you can add a bottle of additive, but I wouldn't do that unless the clutches chatter when making turns. Don't worry about problems with leaving the differential dry unless it was stored in a really damp environment. Bud

Comment

Thank you, Gentlemen.

I know this has been mentioned many times in the past, but the members of this particular forum possess a wealth of knowledge and information and are always willing to help.

Much appreciated and thanks again. Jeff

Comment

If you want to try a synthetic for use in manual trannies or differentials Redline makes a product called MTL (manual trans Lubricant)

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
          sigpic
          John
          63R-2386
          Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Red Line eliminated chattering in my Dana 44 TT's clutches completely. Flush, clean, non synthetic and additive did not. Red Line is Great stuff!

ErnieR

On its way to a 15.097 Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Spring 2006.

Comment

Working...
            X