Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saginaw is the way to go (steering, that is)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saginaw is the way to go (steering, that is)

I've been driving my 60 Lark VI around for a while with the stock Ross manual steering, 165-15 front tires with 30psi. With the tendonitis in my left wrist it was a painful experience. With the car stopped on asphalt, I very nearly could NOT turn the wheel.

I've been off work for a week, doing a POR15 kit on the floor (which came out nice), but the best change I've ever made was putting in a later Lark Saginaw steering box. Everything fit like a charm. I'd already gotten the matching Pitman arm, but that's all I changed. No horn yet, I'll have to consider my options there. But what a difference! It steers easier than my daughter's Volvo with P/S!

Who needs power steering?! This is a change which really makes the car a pleasure to drive. Just had to share this, I'm still buzzed about the success! No, it's not the POR15, but be careful with that stuff, I had a fan blowing from behind me and used their mask, but I could still taste it later.

JohnP, driving & reviving
    an early Lark
    sigpic
    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

quote:Originally posted by allstateguy
    It steers easier than my daughter's Volvo with P/S!

Who needs power steering?!
    I always wondered how they sold ANY later Larks with power steering. It just isn't needed.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thank you this is good info to know,Also does the bell crank for that application work well with the chevy v8?

fred

Comment

That sound like a great idea, what year did they switch? My '62 parts cars are at my sisters place 85 miles away, so I don't know which box they have. My luck they are the early style.

Skinny
        Watertown, SD
        Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Hey Skinny,
          Look at the box in your 62 and if it has the big S cast into the side of it, that's the good one. I'm sure someone on the Forum knows what year the switch was, but I think the 62 might use the saginaw.

As far as bellcranks vs Chevy engines, I'm pretty sure there are only two in Larks. The standard one and the P/S one (with an extra arm for the ram). DickS would know if there are any pan clearance issues, but I would guess not.

an early Lark
          sigpic
          60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

I had pan clearance issues with the proper frame and engine mounts in my 62 with te bell crank,I then contacted a parts distributor from turning wheels business card file and he seemed to think that the 62 bell crank would not work with the chevy v8 so I purchased his and after 2 weeks I recived the exact same bell crank that I already had that is when my grinder came into play and I reshaped my bell crank to work and sent his back.

fred

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by allstateguy
              It steers easier than my daughter's Volvo with P/S!
              Who needs power steering?!
              I always wondered how they sold ANY later Larks with power steering. It just isn't needed.
              Dick, while I have the greatest respect for your opinions, I have to disagree here. I ordered my Wagonaire without power steering based on my experience with my '61 Cruiser (didn't need p/s even with a/c). Believe me, the Wagonaire, even with the slowest manual box available on Studebakers, definitely needed power steering. I went three years without p/s, but when I put Michelin radials on the car in '67... I found a wrecked p/s-equipped '64 Daytona in a salvage yard in Hayward, CA with the same miles as my wagon. $40 and a few hours later, I was cruising with a power steered Wagonaire. Of course, it then felt like there was nothing attached to the steering column, but you sure could spin that wheel through its five plus turns.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

On most '59-'61 Lark VI & VIII's, Dick's preference for no P/S works quite well. Also on all 6's, the '62 Lark Six 4 dr. and the '63 Lark Daytona Hardtop Dick did and does own, because the Lark 6 & Chev. small block both have lighter front ends. [:0]

That is the advantage of the Negative Caster that many people would like to [u]remove</u> from their Stude. Alignment settings! Unless they are the heaviest front end models, they will turn quite easily if the Alignment is correct and King Pins, Bushings and center pivot Brgs. are in good condition and often Lubed.

However as Paul mentioned, unfortunately that theory does not work as well on Convertibles, Wagonaires and Avantis!

StudeRich
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                X