Studebaker Truck spotted on Ice Road Truckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Truck spotted on Ice Road Truckers

So I'm watching one of my favorite programs on the history channel. They show a clip of an old film about Tundra Crawler vehicles that were used before the 18 wheelers were used. The film showed a man getting out of a pickup service truck that looked like it could be a '54 to '56 Studebaker. Good to see that the Studebakers could hold up to the subzero temperatures. I guess the Willard Battery ads showing Studebakers starting when frozen in a block of ice were founded in truth.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Yes, one of my favorite TV shows. And I saw that Stude truck too.

George
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car.

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe
    George King
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

My brother told me about seeing that truck. He guessed a 56, but waasn't sure.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
      "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

On a vacation trip to Alaska this past May, my wife & I took one of those around town trolly tours in Anchorage. We were going through a residential neighborhood and my wife spotted a Hawk sitting in some guys drive way. Before I could see it clearly we had gone past the end of his street. So I have no idea which model it was other than pre-1959 with parking and turn light on top of the front fenders. Later that week we were in Fairbanks but I had not yet seen the Alaska version of Ice Road Truckers. Otherwise it would have been interesting to locate the trucking company they drive out of. It would not have been to hard to find as Fairbanks is really not a very big town. Beautiful state and great friendly people.

Comment

When my brother was stationed in Fairbanks a number of years ago he reported that Studebaker trucks were popular in Alaska because they would start in cold weather.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
          X