Avanti Altenator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Altenator

My presto junk altenator is out again 2nd time in a few years.
    Has any one installed a one wire GM or other type altenator
    on a 63 Avanti R2.How would i mount it & wire it up.I think
    a 60 or 65 amp would be enough the only extra thing on the car is
    a 3,000 cfm electric fan. the thing is i just bought a Dave Tbow
    electronic regulator a while back.In the mean time Dan Miller
    let me use his spare Avanti altenator,Its great to have a good
    friend like Dan.

Lenny
    Atlanta Ga.

See Bob Johnstone's website for info on alternator exchanges.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
    sigpic
    John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Wow, I had mine rebuilt in the 80's and is still working like it's supposed to! Might try a different rebuild shop.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

I haven't had any problems with the alternator on my Avanti, it's the regulator failures that is giving me a headache. Bud

Comment

Nothing at all wrong with the Prestolite alternator - make sure that it is re-built by an auto electric shop that knows them.

Bud, I went to solid-state electronic voltage regulators on both my Avanti and GT years ago, and they have worked flawlessly, without the ammeter pulsing of the originals. Dave T-bow can fix you right up. Russ Farris
          1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
          1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Russ, Thanks for the info on the solid state regulator, I was ready to do an alternator swap for something newer with an internal regulator. I'll give Dave a call tonight. Bud

Comment

You can make a case that the Avanti Prestolite alternator was not very high output - but not that it is junk. Most Avanti alternator conversions have been done to get a higher amp output, or to save money with a more common substitute like the GM or Chrysler.

Same alternator in my Avanti for at least the last ten years, probably longer.

A lot of parts house rebuilders perform no real test on the parts

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
              Packrat junk collector
              '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Had my Avanti's original rebult six years ago and took the the advice of the electrical shop owner to up the amps to handle the AC better. No problems..As suggested, use a auto electrical repair shop.

Richard

Comment

I have never had mine re-built....car has 104k on her...watch I will be screwed this weekend because I wrote this.

Comment

Any NYC area owners needing a good electric shop?........AES in Oceanside LI...speak to bruce or neil.

Comment

Lenny, I take it Dan finished up the work on your car? [8D]

I already talked to Dan, and he said he is going to Cedar Rapids. Will I see you there? I'm going to make sure Tom E. doesn't spend all his money on more parts. [)]

Matthew Burnette
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Hi Matthew i cant go, i am going in the hospital tuesday to have surgery on my left shoulder
                        so i wont be doing any thing for a couple months.Yes the Avanti is all finished Dan did a great job.
                        Have a good time at the meet.

Lenny
                        Atlanta Ga.

Comment

I don,t knoe if you are interested or not, but I just did a very easy 1 wire GM conversion on our 63 Lark. I workeed out quite well and affordably. Gilespie Auto electric in LeClaire Iowa fixed me up with a 100 amp Delco, GM one wire alternator for $60.00 and it is working just fine. I upgraded the alternator because I just completed an AC conversion and I am running 2 12" fans that work great.On a one wire hook-up all you have to do is tape off the small plug in type wire as with a self contained regulator you will not need it. Hope this helps. The new alternator does fit inside the Stude brackets OK, but I did grind 1/8 inch off of front mounting tab to push the alternator forward enough to align perfectly with the pulleys.
                          quote:Originally posted by Lenny R2

My presto junk altenator is out again 2nd time in a few years.
                          Has any one installed a one wire GM or other type altenator
                          on a 63 Avanti R2.How would i mount it & wire it up.I think
                          a 60 or 65 amp would be enough the only extra thing on the car is
                          a 3,000 cfm electric fan. the thing is i just bought a Dave Tbow
                          electronic regulator a while back.In the mean time Dan Miller
                          let me use his spare Avanti altenator,Its great to have a good
                          friend like Dan.

Lenny
                          Atlanta Ga.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by maxpower1954

Nothing at all wrong with the Prestolite alternator - make sure that it is re-built by an auto electric shop that knows them.

Bud, I went to solid-state electronic voltage regulators on both my Avanti and GT years ago, and they have worked flawlessly, without the ammeter pulsing of the originals. Dave T-bow can fix you right up. Russ Farris
                            I second this, my Avanti has the original style Prestolite Alt and after having charging issues and a bouncing amp gauge and flickering lights I installed Dave T-bow's solid state regulator (inside an original style Prestolite case for authenticity... as long as a Judge doesn't open it up) and the alternator and charging issues were fixed with never a problem again.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
                            sigpic
                            John
                            63R-2386
                            Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Working...
                            X