PDA

View Full Version : "C&D" 8/09

studegary
07-07-2009, 03:49 PM
I often write something related to Studebaker to newspapers and magazines as a way to keep the name out there. Some publish the item and some do not. That is okay, someone still reads it.

The August 2009 issue of "Car and Driver" magazine published what I wrote. "C&D" stated in an article on the new Porsche Panamera that it was "The company's first attempt at a sedan in its 61 year history..." I mentioned the four door Porsche built for Studebaker. Their reply was not totally correct, but that is okay.

Pat Bedard has left "C&D" after 41 years. The new Editor is a young guy unknown to me. "C&D" is one of the magazines that I do not plan on renewing my subscription to, after many years.

Also in the August "C&D", David E. Davis Jr. states in his column;"They [cars] were more interesting when we had automobile companies in Buffalo and Springfield and Cleveland and South Bend and Indianapolis."

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

edit to correct typo - transposed letters

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

tutone63
07-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Last year I was fortunate enough to come by a copy of the TW that had that story in it. I cannot remember the date of publication, but I do remember that it was in the early eighties...or maybe the late eighties...well, the eighties anyway. (wow, can I even remember a decade? Maybe someone can help a guy out.:))

It is a very interesting story, worth the time to study. I may have to pick up that copy of C&D. Thanks for posting!

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh54/tutone63/63larkside-1.jpghttp://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/images/smilies/035.gif

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Driven often, always noticed!

JBOYLE
07-08-2009, 04:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary
Pat Bedard has left "C&D" after 41 years. The new Editor is a young guy unknown to me. "C&D" is one of the magazines that I do not plan on renewing my subscription to, after many years.

After 20 years I let my C and D subscription lapse a couple of years ago.
I'm not in the market for a new car (at least not a Porsche, Ferrari, Honda or BMW), and I got tired with their partisan sniping about Bush (I didn't buy their magazine for their political views. If I wanted to read Mother Jones, I'd buy it).

Most of all it quit reading it because all their great older writers were gone...or going.
I realized I knew more about cars and auto industry history than the 20-something kids lecturing me.

Besides, my money is better spent on an SDC membership. :D

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

8E45E
07-08-2009, 05:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary

The August 2009 issue of "Car and Driver" magazine published what I wrote. "C&D" stated in an article on the new Porsche Panamera that it was "The company's first attempt at a sedan in its 61 year history..."

To be honest, they don't know the difference between a sedan and a hatchback. All the photos I've seen of it so far show its a hatchback.

Craig

raprice
07-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Any indication as to where Pat Bedard has gone? He's a terrific writer on automotive issues.
I stopped getting C & D a few years ago because most of my car magazines have to do with vintage iron.
Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
Smithtown,NY