PDA

View Full Version : 1956 Clipper 4 door

kmuggs
07-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Stumbled into a 1956 clipper 4 door. Nice car min, rust, all original and still runs and drives. Are parts hard to get for these? Noticed it was missing fender skirts. Wants $1000 for it. Is that a decent buy?

Thanks for any info.

BobPalma
07-07-2009, 01:17 PM
:) Probably, if it does run and drive. If it's a cheapie DeLuxe (no continuous side molding from the front fender through to the rear), it better be salvageable and not a parts car. It will also say DeLuxe, Super, or Custom on the front of the front fenders. Customs are the nicest and the rarest.

Fender skirts aren't hard to find. They all had them and they didn't rust like the rest of the car, but they often got lost when the quarter panels around the skirts rusted away and there was no longer an anchor for the skirts' fasteners.

I don't consider parts hard to come by, and I've owned and maintained a 1956 Clipper Super hardtop for 17 years. :DBP

kmuggs
07-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Thank you. I think this it is a custom clipper custom sedan. I have looked at alot of other pictures of the clipper but the only on I can find with the wide trim going all the way back is the custom.
quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

:) Probably, if it does run and drive. If it's a cheapie DeLuxe (no continuous side molding from the front fender through to the rear), it better be salvageable and not a parts car. It will also say DeLuxe, Super, or Custom on the front of the front fenders. Customs are the nicest and the rarest.

Fender skirts aren't hard to find. They all had them and they didn't rust like the rest of the car, but they often got lost when the quarter panels around the skirts rusted away and there was no longer an anchor for the skirts' fasteners.

I don't consider parts hard to come by, and I've owned and maintained a 1956 Clipper Super hardtop for 17 years. :DBP

BobPalma
07-07-2009, 04:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by kmuggs

Thank you. I think this it is a Clipper Custom sedan. I have looked at alot of other pictures of the clipper but the only on I can find with the wide trim going all the way back is the Custom.

:D Not true, Kris. Both Supers and Customs have identical side trim; two spears going front to rear, with a dip in the lower one on the rear quarter panel.

There are only two external differences between Customs and Supers:

1. It will say which one it is on the front fender script.

2. Customs have stainless-steel rocker panel molding trim. Supers have no rocker panel molding trim.

That said, more than one Custom has been repaired due to rust along the way and the rocker panel moldings didn't get re-installed. But when they were new, Customs had rocker panel moldings, and most still have them. :DBP