Black '64 Commander 4-door seen in Camp Hill, PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black '64 Commander 4-door seen in Camp Hill, PA

I was sitting in the Giant Foods parking lot on Trindle Rd. in Camp Hill (near Harrisburg), PA last evening, waiting for a coworker to come out of the store, when a decent-looking black '64 Commander 4-door sedan drove quietly and smartly through the lot. Anybody know anything about this car?

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    '64 Daytona Hardtop
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Well, Bill, if it drove quietly through the lot, it probably wasn't Avanti-powered....[}] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yes, it was originally sold in Greenville. [)] You should have chased it down, Bill. I've seen you move pretty quickly when you want to! You're getting slow, buddy. Your co-worker would have understood if you weren't there when they came out. []

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Yes, it was originally sold in Greenville. [)] You should have chased it down, Bill. I've seen you move pretty quickly when you want to! You're getting slow, buddy. Your co-worker would have understood if you weren't there when they came out. []
        Seeing a Stude was the last thing I was thinking about while sitting in the Giant parking lot last night! Nice surprise. If it were from Greenville originally, that'd be a real fluke--this is hundreds of miles from there! But...on the other hand, the hardtop I bought was over 800 miles from Greenville when I bought it!

Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        '64 Daytona Hardtop
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        All are in Australia now

Comment

Bill,Since Bob mentioned Avanti-powered,did you ever find that black Daytona 4dr.that was at Dart Chevy years ago?I was hoping it would turn up someday. Dave

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dave Bates

Bill,Since Bob mentioned Avanti-powered,did you ever find that black Daytona 4dr.that was at Dart Chevy years ago?I was hoping it would turn up someday. Dave
            No, I'm afraid not. The original owner told me who he last remembered had it (a teenager in the early '70's), and that fellow told me via email that he had lots of cars back then and didn't remember what he did with it. He's a business owner now and seemed disinterested.

It was actually a black Cruiser, R2 with complete Super package, red cloth buckets and Powershift, rear seat speaker and certified speedometer--64V-14402. The original owner worked at the local Stude dealer and did the new-car prep work on my '64 Daytona there.

We lived in town then, and the original owner lived several miles outside of town, so I can't say I remember the car at all. Other folks sure seem to, though...I had a fellow from NJ ask me about the car when he heard I was originally from that town. He used to pass through town with his job and says he remembers seeing the car parked against the dealership building.

You mentioned Dart Chevy. That's where my Dad and grandfather used to buy cars, and where I bought my first new one. A great local business. I bump into Mr. Dart maybe once a year. He and his brother got out while the gettin' was good, back in the early '90's.

Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            '64 Daytona Hardtop
            Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            All are in Australia now