Just Wondering About LOW Mileage Studes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Wondering About LOW Mileage Studes

Our '53 has only 18,800 miles on its original 232 V-8. It has been in my wife's family since about 1955, was primarily a parade car, and then was undriven for about 20 years before we started restoring it in 2003.

Any other "lotsa years, not many miles on original engine" cars out there?

Tim-Custom '53 Commmander Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ
    Restoration pictures at http://www.jimsrodshop.net/31.html
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

quote:Originally posted by paintim613

Our '53 has only 18,800 miles on its original 232 V-8. It has been in my wife's family since about 1955, was primarily a parade car, and then was undriven for about 20 years before we started restoring it in 2003.
    Any other "lotsa years, not many miles on original engine" cars out there?
    Eric Kirk of Winchester, VA drove his all original '41 Commander with 12,000 miles to our meeting place for Drive Your Studebaker Day.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

My 51 Commander has 34000 original miles.

66 Commander R1 Clone
      51 Commander 4dr
      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I'll go out on a limb and say that I have seen more low mileage Studes than any other make...and they made fewer Studes than most other makes.

Doesn't figure.

I had a 14,000 mile '62 Lark.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

My white "survivor" GT had 17,000 when I bought it in 1985.
          It currently has just under 29,000.

It might have been too nice for this teenager (at the time), but it taught me early on how to respect and revere machinery.[^]

Andy
          62 GT

Andy
          62 GT

Comment

My 1942 Champion with 9314.4 miles. Have original bill of sale and other original documentation. Incidentally the car is for sale.

Richard Quinn
            editor: Antique Studebaker Review
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Our '63 Avanti currently has 9482 miles on it. Over 2000 of those in the past 2 years.

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
              Jim
              Often in error, never in doubt
              http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

This is unscientific, but in my 51-year old memory, and at least in our town, Studebaker owners tended to be older folks. I think this explains the higher percentage of low-mileage cars out there.

Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                '64 Daytona Hardtop
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                (formerly Greenville, PA)
                Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                All are in Australia now

Comment

I've posted this here before, and was told I was full of it. (No posts must make new to the car world.) But as a professional car appraiser for the last 10 years, I have found nothing on this car that suggests 100,000 miles. Pops bought this 63 Cruiser for a song.

The only parts on teh car that are not original Stude parts are the water pump, motor/trans mounts, tires, brake/fuel plumbing, shocks, plug wires and valve stem seals. All of these things were changed after we got it. It had the original front tires on it,(with ummmmmmmmmm boobs?) and still has the factory installed points, condensor, cap, rotor and plugs.

It still has the "New for 1963 Aluminized muffler" and the overly quiet factory exhaust.

Brake shoes and such show no signs of wear. The photo was taken as soon as the drum came off.

The windshield cleans up with no defects other than some hazing at the edges.

The story we were given by the previous owner was that the car was purchased new by an older gentleman and driven for a short while then parked as he was temporarily in a nursing home. He was there for a number of years before passing the car was left under a carport nose out for 40+ years.

Say what you like and I invite anyone to come verify the mileage. In fact bring some head gaskets and we can pop the heads off to be sure.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                  http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel
                    My 1942 Champion with 9314.4 miles. Have original bill of sale and other original documentation. Incidentally the car is for sale.

Gosh, that's one rare, beautiful car. That will draw top dollars. [^]

Mine has 32,322 on it. Bought it with the 1971 AZ plates still on it. Desert dried up, but the pedal grooves were still like new. AZ title backed it up, but I wasn't there for the first 11 years, so who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Tinman

Did it come with those 59-60 wheel covers on it? What state was that car from, Tinman?

Comment

Illinois, and yeah those were the trunk, along with a set of 41 caddy hubcaps, the caddy hubcaps didnt fit.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Any straight ones? I collect non-dinged ones. Not too many of those.

Comment

Like that? or the stude ones?

Comment

The 59-60s.

Comment

Working...
                              X