63 Lark clutch shaft supt. bracket UPDATE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Lark clutch shaft supt. bracket UPDATE

Some may know that my bracket tore,during my first ride of the year. Thanks to the advice and encouragement of Bob Palma, Chucks Stude and mbstude I had the part welded and was able to drive my Stude on the 4th. Did you know this is something you're supposed to pack half full of grease? I sure didn't and I don't think the previous owners did either. Also a former street racer did the repair and beefed it up. Stude engineers specified flex-steel but my friend didn't care. No way is this thing gonna flex! What is your opinion?

Gary Hildebrandt
    Gary Hildebrandt

runner till she breaks.. my moto
    i had to make or emake several items some work some dont..
    LET IT EAT... another moto..lol
    glad you got her back on the road

Erin Hays
    "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
    RZRECTD
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Lark
    1963 Wagonaire

Comment

That part will probably outlive you.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well I don't want to be a Party P&*$er, but I believe the clutch cross shaft is designed to move with the Engine, Clutch Housing and Trans.

So the flex plate is attached to the frame end, and it's the only place the system can "give" since the rest of the linkage is attached to the frame and body which do NOT move.

This is very much the same as the flex line on the solid copper Oil Pressure line to the gauge, it allows for power train movement and the more wear on the engine mounts, the more movement will occur.

This will eventually crack the linkage somewhere else, since you have used solid steel plate to replace the flex plate.

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What Rich said. I think welding on a solid piece is a fine temporary fix. Jon Myer has new spring steel pieces for about $25--just grind off the old rivets and bolt/loctite the new one on. Just did this on the '56 hot rod.

As far as it needing lubrication--never done that in my whole life, but it's good to know. There's no zerk, so I guess you're supposed to take it apart and dab a bit of grease in there? And you're right--I never lubricated the one that broke when I owned your car!

Comment

This part stopped my 64 Avanti too.

Discovered that the part was welded in the past instead of replaced.

Recommend replacing the part. Welding is only a temporary fix.

Used synthetic wheel bearing grease in the bearing.

Comment

I had this piece give out on a Champ truck years ago. I was well away from home when it happened and I enlisted the help of a little repair garage to get me back on the road. We employed a piece of heavy gage sheet metal and I was on the road again. I had that truck for a couple of years and then sold it to a guy who pressed it into daily service in his landscape business. After 5 or 6 years, it was still going without complaint.

Certainly, Studebaker engineered that piece to flex some. It's easily recognizable why. But that said, if it broke in spite of being able to flex, I'd be wondering if I didn't have sheared eng/trans mounts or some misalignment that could've caused such stress as to break the spring steel. Maybe the condition was started at some time in the past - the mounts got replaced - while the crack (not initially realized), resulted in an eventual failure.

Being correctly engineered is usually best, but what with the severely lessened demands of "collector car" service, you might get away with years of service with what would've been considered a temporary fix some 40 years ago.

Just to be clear - I wouldn't be one to advocate gluing leather strips in place of worn out brake linings, but there are some things that can satisfactorily make do in certain instances.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have that part,plus all the rest of the linkage items. I could make you a good deal....

Comment

Don't know if this thread is still going but I want to thank everyone for their opinions. I did not mean to imply that Alan slacked off by not greasing this part. In fact it didn't seem completely dry. I'm not sure why the thing failed. Perhaps just old age. In 2002, at the Intl, I met a few guys that knew my car in California. They said I was probably the 17th owner. Ha, and none of these guys greased that part?! Peace and Stude grease, Huck

Gary Hildebrandt
                  Gary Hildebrandt

Comment

Huck it failed is the important thing, so here is what i suggest. you write the manufacturer a letter what kind of cheap parts are they trying to put out, dont let them pull the wool over your eyes we wont stand for parts that cant hold up for any longer than that one did its just shameful.. last year when richard poe lost his rearend at bean blossom dragway i suggested the same thing, this manufaturer should be ashamed of itself that it still has failing parts...

Erin Hays
                    "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
                    RZRECTD
                    1961 Hawk
                    1962 Lark
                    1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                    X