PDA

View Full Version : Interesting GM forum observation.



Hippie
07-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Stay with me, you'll see the relevance (I hope). I bought a '96 Grand Am GT today for a work car. Nice clean little coupe with all the bells and whistles. A few years ago we had an Olds Alero and I joined a very popular forum for GM N-bodies which are the Grand Am, Beretta, Cavalier, Achieva, etc. Dozens of posts every hour, I went back to that forum today and there have only been a couple dozen posts in the past 2 years! Same thing on every other N-body forum I visited. Seems the Studebaker has become more popular than one of the most common GM cars on the road! ;)[8D]

Analog man in a digital world.

studegary
07-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Those GM cars that you list were big sellers in their day, but certainly are not "common" on the road around here at this time.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Hippie
07-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Interesting, you can't throw a rock without hittin' one here. I live in a town of 1,000 people and there are at least a dozen '92-'98 Grand Ams alone not to mention the other N bodies.

Analog man in a digital world.

ChampTrucking
07-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Anyone seen a Chevette lately?? Those things disappeared about 5 years after they were introduced here in the Rust Belt. Real Flintstone mobiles after the road salt had its way with them!!

JeffDeWitt
07-05-2009, 09:14 PM
I saw one on I-40 about a month ago... around here they seem to be about as common as VW Things.

Jeff DeWitt
http://carolinastudes.net
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q33/Jeff_DeWitt/IM001571-1.jpg

klifton1
07-05-2009, 09:24 PM
I have a buddy with a least 3 Chevettes. 1 with less then 20XXX miles and 1 that looks stock, but has a NASCAR V6. It is nasty fast.
Klif

55 Speedster
63 Avanti R2
63 Lark R2

289stude
07-05-2009, 09:37 PM
I learnes to drive in a 1984 Chevette, had a quick little 4cyl. and a manual floor shift trans of some sort. Not real fast but that little floor shift was a hoot. I ran the wheels off it. Then mooved up to a 86 cavalier with a fastback 6 cyl 5spd. Man I thought I was Mario Andretti in that thing. I'd run that thing WOUND OUT all the time.



John

63' R1 Wagonaire

63' 8E45 Detroit

53' 2R5 R1 Powershift TT Under Construction

57' Transtar 304 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction (in Picture)

58' 3E6D Stock Sale Pending

61' 6E7 122 Factory Auto

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p99/289stude/transtar3-1-2.jpg

studegary
07-06-2009, 01:25 PM
I had a Chevette. I believe that it had nearly every option, including a vinyl roof. It would slow up every time the A/C compressor would cut in. I could hardly wait for the title to come through so that I could sell it.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

ChampTrucking
07-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Klif,lets see some pics of that V6 Chevette-PLEASE!!

8E45E
07-06-2009, 01:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary

I had a Chevette. I believe that it had nearly every option, including a vinyl roof. It would slow up every time the A/C compressor would cut in. I could hardly wait for the title to come through so that I could sell it.



Did it have the Isuzu diesel in it?

tutone63
07-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Speaking of Chevys that you don't see anymore, the guy that I bought my lark from has a Grandad who owns a 1980-81? 4 door hatchback Chevy Citation. Last year they convinced him to enter it into a local car show. Believe it or not, the thing is spotless! (but still very, very ugly)

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh54/tutone63/63larkside-1.jpghttp://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/images/smilies/035.gif


1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Driven often, always noticed!

studegary
07-06-2009, 02:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by 8E45E


quote:Originally posted by studegary

I had a Chevette. I believe that it had nearly every option, including a vinyl roof. It would slow up every time the A/C compressor would cut in. I could hardly wait for the title to come through so that I could sell it.



Did it have the Isuzu diesel in it?


No, it was the optional gasoline engine. I worked with a guy that had one of those diesel Chevettes.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

mausersmth
07-06-2009, 04:16 PM
How about Vega's? Around here I never see a Vega anymore!

A. Charles Eck, Jr.
Essex, MD
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa307/mausersmth/64%20Cruiser/DSCF0085-1.jpghttp://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa307/mausersmth/57%20Commander/100_1155-1.jpg
Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

'64 Cruiser 'Louise'
'57 Commander 4 door sedan 'Bluebird'
'66 Ford F-250
'66 Ford F-100
'53 John Deere 50
'41 John Deere H All-Fuel
'41 John Deere B All-Fuel

ChampTrucking
07-06-2009, 04:49 PM
LOL I see Vegas ALL THE TIME! My friend is a V8 Vega nut .He has had more than I can count,including one with a 496 Cubic Inch Big Block in it. He had one 400 CI small block 73 Vega that was a legit 10.5 ET street car,without the Nitros Oxide!! I went 12.7 in it loose as a goose 60 feet out! Whatta ride!!

rodnutrandy
07-06-2009, 07:07 PM
A chevette was in a cruise in locally. had a 229 gm v6 in it and a small blower. had 13:34, 104MPH time slips. That would trailer alot of >fast< cars.

Randy Wilkin
1946 M5 Streetrod
Hillsboro,Ohio 45133
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2483/3637332618_4041c3a834.jpg?v=0

okc63avanti
07-06-2009, 07:35 PM
At our SDC Open Meet in May we had a couple of Chevy Vega Rat Rods show up. But here's a couple of pictures of a Chevy Vega that ought to get your adrenaline pumping!
http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq16/okc63avanti/vega-1.jpghttp://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq16/okc63avanti/vega2-1.jpg

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq16/okc63avanti/63StudebakerAvanti-1.jpg

Thomas63R2
07-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Before you get too happy comparing the SDC forum to the GM N car forums in popularity you need a reality check: the various GM enthusiast sites have (collectively) been growing rapidly over time vs. a very modest growth in SDC forum membership. So the GM N car forums have withered as forum members have perhaps moved onto other GM forums and other cars, so what?

What the GM N car forums did have was youth - something lacking in the SDC. A lot of the N car forum members were first time car owners too, meanwhile at the SDC forums we also have many original owners - of a car that has been out of production for 44 years (or 46 years if you are a Stude power purist).

There is not much youth movement into Studebakers - but if you go to all makes car shows you will find plenty of youth interest in the cool GM cars. Most youth are not impressed by the Jack Benny CASO - kids know the cool stuff costs money.

If you could show me that when people left the GM N car forums they mostly came over to the SDC forums - now that would be good.

Observations on the Vega: when new the Pinto and Vega were rivals, with Ford handily selling more Pintos than Chevy/Pontiac did of the Vega/Astre/Monza etc. But Ford's sales wins didn't translate into lasting popularity. Seeing a Pinto at a car show or the drags is a rare event - but the Vega (in V8 transplant form) lives on in sportsman drag racing and car shows.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
Packrat junk collector
'63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Hippie
07-08-2009, 08:05 PM
You're taking it WAY too seriously, I was just pokin' a little fun. ;) But I did finally find an active N body forum. BTW, what do you consider "youth"? I'm only 53 and still "play with cars". :D


quote:Originally posted by Thomas63R2

Before you get too happy comparing the SDC forum to the GM N car forums in popularity you need a reality check: the various GM enthusiast sites have (collectively) been growing rapidly over time vs. a very modest growth in SDC forum membership. So the GM N car forums have withered as forum members have perhaps moved onto other GM forums and other cars, so what?

What the GM N car forums did have was youth - something lacking in the SDC. A lot of the N car forum members were first time car owners too, meanwhile at the SDC forums we also have many original owners - of a car that has been out of production for 44 years (or 46 years if you are a Stude power purist).

There is not much youth movement into Studebakers - but if you go to all makes car shows you will find plenty of youth interest in the cool GM cars. Most youth are not impressed by the Jack Benny CASO - kids know the cool stuff costs money.

If you could show me that when people left the GM N car forums they mostly came over to the SDC forums - now that would be good.

Observations on the Vega: when new the Pinto and Vega were rivals, with Ford handily selling more Pintos than Chevy/Pontiac did of the Vega/Astre/Monza etc. But Ford's sales wins didn't translate into lasting popularity. Seeing a Pinto at a car show or the drags is a rare event - but the Vega (in V8 transplant form) lives on in sportsman drag racing and car shows.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
Packrat junk collector
'63 Avanti R2 4 speed


Analog man in a digital world.