Greenville, PA trip on Drive Your Studebaker Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenville, PA trip on Drive Your Studebaker Day

Drove across the state line from Ohio to join a few Forum members in Bill Pressler's childhood hometown in Pennsylvania for a great car show. Terrific opportunity to drive our Studes. Here are some pics:

Myself and Forum members, JWW, GT Joe, and Bill Pressler on Main Street.
    [img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

JWW's version of the Kart Hauler
    [img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Photo op at the former Carl E. Filer Co. Studebaker Dealership and Garage in Greenville..

[img][/img]

Thanks for the invitation to this show, Bill. See ya on down the road. [8D][8D]
    [img][/img]

Wonderful pics, Dave! Thanks for sharing. John fell in love with the wagon. He said your Lark's not too shabby, either... Can you tell us about the pink car? We don't know what it is. Thanks!

John and Tracy Smith
    Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

Comment

Great Pictures Dave looks like you guys had a great time.

Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Commander Regal Coupe
      Fresno,Ca
      Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca

Comment

Originally posted by John and Tracy Smith
        Can you tell us about the pink car? We don't know what it is. Thanks!

I'm far from being a Ford identifier, but my dad had two or three of those when I was growing up... Fairlane. Not sure of the year. '57 maybe? BP will know. None were pink that we had, though. Every little girl walking with their family really loved that one! [8D]

Here's another angle..now I'm thinking more like '55 or 6.
        [img][/img]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Originally posted by John and Tracy Smith
          Can you tell us about the pink car? We don't know what it is. Thanks!

I'm far from being a Ford identifier, but my dad had two or three of those when I was growing up... Fairlane. Not sure of the year. '57 maybe? BP will know. None were pink that we had, though. Every little girl walking with their family really loved that one! [8D]

Here's another angle..now I'm thinking more like '55 or 6.
          [img][/img]

Comment

Looks like a '56 Ford Customline to me.

Skinny
            Watertown, SD
            Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Can anyone read this?
              [img][/img]
              This is what it's supposed to look like.
              [img][/img]

Comment

I'm pretty sure BP will back me up on this, it says Customline. Looks like everyone had a great time Dave, will you be at Cedar Rapids?

Skinny
                Watertown, SD
                Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

My dad collects old Fords of the 55 and 56 era and yes that is a 56 and it says Customline on the side. We have a 55 Crown Victoria that is pink and white with the glass top, man what a car. We also have a 56 Fairlane 2 door hdtp that we restored a while back that will just drop yer jaw.

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

Comment

Great time, Dave, JWW, and GTJoe...thanks for coming along and classin' up my old hometown!

I can't seem to post a link, but the dealership had large wooden "Carl E. Filer Co." lettering over the front doors and of course, the peaked roof was added to the building later. They sold Studebakers in town from '26 to '66.

That is indeed a '56 Ford Customline. Although I like '57's and '58's too, a '56 Ford is my favorite Ford of all I think. The little detail differences over the '55 really improve the looks IMHO.

My sister said Thiel College's "USO Show" later last evening was fun, and to top it off, she had the winning ticket for second prize of $1,000 that was offered at the car show, first prize being a motorcycle.

You might notice in the one picture, the railroad tracks. I've never seen anything like it elsewhere, but the tracks cut right between downtown buildings, making almost an open-air 'tunnel' effect between buildings.

Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
                    '64 Daytona Hardtop
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    (formerly Greenville, PA)
                    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

Gee, Dave (and Bill and all), it looks like you guys had a great time. Wonderful pictures and a good assortment of Studebakers.

The Ford in question is indeed a 1956 Ford Customline Tudor. Remember, Ford spelled the body styles Tudor and Fordor back then, just as ole' Henry had dictated years before. The 1955 "pink" was called Desert Rose, but I cannot verify if that color and name were carried over to 1956.

'Good to see some Studes in front of the Filer Building again, too. And next year, Bill can look forward to returning the Strato Blue 1964 Daytona hardtop to the same place.

It pretty much rained all day in central Indiana, so I was limited to driving a 1956 Studebaker-Packard product on "Drive Your Studebaker Day," our 1956 Clipper Super hardtop in the town's big parade. It drizzled all during the parade and then let loose for the rest of the day shortly thereafter.

BTW, Bill mentioned railroad tracks down the center of the town's "main" Street. Lafayette, Indiana, has a similar arrangement.

'Glad you guys had good sunshine and good times. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I should have known that you had checked that car out, Bill. [^] Since this thread is about driving Studebakers, I don't want to belabor the F#*ds, but did that side trim have "Fairlane Customline" on it? I tried to research it and it seems the Customline had a smaller engine and was just a cheaper trim, etc., level car in the fleet, but other levels had the Fairlane name preceeding it. I thought they were all just upper and lower trimmed Fairlane models. Confusing. My Sunday morning brain hurts. Here's a Hemmings link for info.

Here's some more of John's Wagonaire and a '37 that reminded me of my only prewar car, a '37 Business Coupe.
                        To Skinny; Yes, my non-refundable reservations say I'll be in Iowa. My wallet may say otherwise.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Comment

Good report and good pix as always, Dave! Thanks for again taunting me with Bill's Skytop

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Do you still have yours, or is it gone? Only a paint job away..

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

I should have known that you had checked that car out, Bill. [^] Since this thread is about driving Studebakers, I don't want to belabor the F#*ds, but did that side trim have "Fairlane Customline" on it? I tried to research it and it seems the Customline had a smaller engine and was just a cheaper trim, etc., level car in the fleet, but other levels had the Fairlane name preceeding it. I thought they were all just upper and lower trimmed Fairlane models. Confusing. My Sunday morning brain hurts. Here's a Hemmings link for info.
                              Well, you guys know how anal I am about such things, so please suffer this modest diversion:

1956 Fords were offered in three trim levels: cheapie Mainline, mid-trim Customline, and high-trim Fairlane. There's no "mix & match" among them; they are three distinct, stand-alone trim levels. (Think 1963 Lark Regal, 1963 Lark Custom, and 1963 Lark Daytona.)

Any trim level was available with any engine, although, of course, Mainline Tudors with a six are a whole lot more common than Fairlane Sunliner convertibles with a six!

Station Wagons were stand-alone models, with Ranch Wagons having Mainline trim, Country Sedans having Customline trim, and Country Squires (and Parklanes, the Chevrolet Nomad competitor), having Fairlaine trim. But the wagons weren't identified as Mainlines, Customlines, or Fairlanes.

Back to our regularly-scheduled Studebaker discussion.[] <GG> BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X