PDA

View Full Version : Hog Trough Replacement

Chilidogs1
07-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Hi All and Happy Independance Day!

First things first... On this special day lets join together and salute all our soldiers, sailors and airman around the world putting their lives on the line in the name of freedom, Godspeed!

Anyone who has ever replaced Hog Troughs? (both sides needed,63 R1) Whats the real cost? (does the body need to come off or lifted to do this repair?)

Paul Souza

41 Frank
07-04-2009, 05:30 PM
I've done my 62 GT and my 63 Daytona Convert and it is a pain but the body does not have to come off but would make it easier. I did mine without taking the body off. It is very labor intensive and being proficient at welding helps.You will go through a few drill bits drilling all the spot welds out. It is not for novices but than anything can be done if you take your time. Wear gloves when cutting metal,ask me how I know!!! Since the torque boxes are structural members care must be taken that everything stays square. Put car up on stands as high as possible and do place those stands under the rear axle and front suspension. I did have to cut one body mount to slip in the new troughs but it is just a matter of welding it back on when done. I only had the cost of the throughs and supplies as I did it all myself. If you have to get it done be prepared to pay as much as $3000 labor plus price of throughs, just an educated guess.
Edited for content.
Frank van Doorn
1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
1963 Daytona Conv
1941 Champion R-2 Rod

wolfie
07-04-2009, 05:38 PM
I think somehow a rollbar comes into play on the Avanti also. I dont know if it does on the 2 cars Frank has done or not. I have seen it done years ago on an Avanti and it was quite involved and I remember a good deal of fiberglass had to be removed from the body. Steve

Chilidogs1
07-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Oh boy...doesent sound fun at all

Paul Souza

wcarroll@outrageous.net
07-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Personally, I would run in the other direction [:0]

Coming to terms with the cost is one thing, but finding someone competent to do the job is another. Finding people to do quality work on old cars is getting more and more difficult, and replacing Hog Troughs isn't something those few shops are going to be familiar with.

Hog Troughs, frame and paint/body are the important things to look for on an Avanti IMHO.

Hog Troughs as you've found out are costly to replace, the frame is obviously the foundation of the car -it needs to be sound to support the somewhat fragile fiberglass body, and due to the fact that Avanti bodies are fiberglass, they cost more to paint properly.

Buy the best car you can for the money -you'll be much happier in the end ;)

http://community.webshots.com/user/s2dbaker?vhost=community

Chilidogs1
07-04-2009, 06:31 PM
I think you have the best view of this, you echo my exact concerns, im a cancer patient, im not physically able to attempt this on my own and having someone do it is only part of the eqation, do they really know what they are doin and is it worth the stress?... Thanks very much for your honest opinion... happy 4th friends!

Paul Souza

41 Frank
07-04-2009, 06:36 PM
If you are working on an Avanti,guess I did not realize that, as far as I know the troughs can be had in 2 pieces per side last I heard.Makes install somewhat easier.

Rich
07-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Paul - if the car is in the Puget Sound area, you could contact Studebaker's Northwest (Bellingham, I think) and/or Gary Johnson (Tacoma). Both may be willing to tackle such a job, but I'm sure both would charge a realistic price.

Also, with your search (and purchase), if you haven't already done it, I'd strongly suggest you visit www.aoai.org and order the back issues of the Avanti magazine on CD. There have been several articles written about hog trough replacement. There is also a lot of info that you should find helpful when/if you find a second Avanti to buy.

If you want to read a hard copy, stop by and I'll let you borrow any/all of mine - I have every Avanti magazine going back to the Duo Cento brochure days.

Good luck,
Rich

Richard Morris
Renton, WA
64 Avanti R-1 #5367
90 Avanti 4-door #78

41 Frank
07-04-2009, 06:38 PM
If you can find a restoration shop they may have done this before but most collision type shops won't have a clue.

quote:Originally posted by Chilidogs1

I think you have the best view of this, you echo my exact concerns, im a cancer patient, im not physically able to attempt this on my own and having someone do it is only part of the eqation, do they really know what they are doin and is it worth the stress?... Thanks very much for your honest opinion... happy 4th friends!

Paul Souza

wcarroll@outrageous.net
07-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Happy to help Paul :)

You're probably now realizing why someone would spend $38,000 restoring an Avanti II...
They didn't really have a choice in the matter.

If you start with a car that has serious issues you quickly slide down that "slippery slope" and before you know it, you've spent way more time, money and energy, when you could have just spent more money up front for a solid/better car.

We've all been there and learned this lesson. Sometimes we have no choice in the matter, because the project has sentimental value and other times we just have to work with what we've got.

You are in the best position of all, because you are able to shop using the advice and knowledge of people who have "been there and done that".

wolfie
07-04-2009, 06:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by wcarroll@outrageous.net

;)

Sounds like good advice. And as far as cost I think the new troughs are around $1375 for steel and $1675 for stainless (from a recent TW). They would still have to be installed which as stated isnt cheap. Steve

JDP
07-04-2009, 07:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by wolfie

quote:Originally posted by wcarroll@outrageous.net

;)

Sounds like good advice. And as far as cost I think the new troughs are around $1375 for steel and $1675 for stainless (from a recent TW). They would still have to be installed which as stated isnt cheap. Steve

If the shop knows how to do the job, figure 40 hours labor. ($2000-$3000) That's assuming the frame is fine.

JDP/Maryland

Chilidogs1
07-05-2009, 12:43 AM
Thanks to all for the great advice..very insightful

Paul Souza

Chilidogs1
07-05-2009, 01:31 AM
Yes... the $38,000 "Pyramid" hee hee

Paul Souza

Chilidogs1
07-05-2009, 01:33 AM
Ha ha guys I think thats what im going to name my new 71 Avanti!

Paul Souza

candbstudebakers
07-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Paul Don't tell me the $38,000.00 Avanti ll needs this work???

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/IM000994-1-1.jpg

Chilidogs1
07-05-2009, 12:51 PM
No, this was a 63 that was presented to me yesterday (cheap price) I looked at it and they (torque boxes) need replaced, I past on it, my other one was recent frame off resto, museum quality resto doesent need a thing but to enjoy it... did you see it?

I love that line... "theres nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti" my $38,000 Pyramid is living proof!

Paul Souza