Restoration - Where Do You Start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration - Where Do You Start?

This will fall under trade secrets, I'm sure, but in what order have you completed a frame off restoration. I've restored 1 car, and it was a unibody with a sub-frame ('71 Plymouth Fury). Unibody cars tend to make you start with the body because the rear suspension attaches to it. But our Studes are old fashion, full frame cars. I've a plan for the Daytona, but I want to know what others have done.

My plan?

After the complete teardown...

1) Frame
    2) Rear Axle Assy
    3) Rear Springs
    4) Front suspension
    5) Brakes
    6) Fuel System
    7) Engine
    8) Transmission & Drive Shaft
    9) Wheels & Tires
    10)Body Shell & Panels
    11)Chrome
    12)Electrical
    13)Dash Panel
    14)Interior
    15)Trunk
    16)Miscellaneous

I'm still tearing the Daytona down because of the close confines of a single car garage. Trying to get little stuff as I go along.

Any thoughts? Tell us all if you have a plan and how you tackle your projects...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Dick Steinkamp will set you on the right track..

Is that right Dick.

Comment

Just a couple of suggestions:

Glass- You did not mention glass but I would put the windshield in last, much easier to change out gauges if you find a problem later and want to avoid taking out the dash again. The dash on my Daytona was a pain to put in. Also for installing the headliner. My Daytona is a convertible so it wasn't a problem.
      Chrome- The last time I took stuff for chroming, it was a 6-8 month wait. I had mine done in Melbourne, Orlando might be quicker, but it's aggravating if you have everything done and are waiting impatiently.

I don't know what you mean by trunk, but I did mine at the same time as the rest of the body work. (as far as getting it ready to paint). I am guessing the paint work is part of #10 body shell.
      I also left the wheels and tires to last. Partly to not scuff up the tires and partly to delay spending the money. I think it is also easier when you paint if you don't have to worry about nice new wheels and tires. I don't know where Mulberry is, but I have extra wheels (non disc brake) and tires you could use if we could figure out how to get them to you. I am in Vero Beach.
      Good luck with it.

Don

Comment

For me, there are TWO very important things. The very first is the hardest and that is to quit just thinking and talking about it and just START! (You seem to have taken care of this one) The second thing is a good chair. One of those over sized folding type that you take to cruise-ins is great. You keep the chair handy for those times you need to take a break, look at what you have done, and contemplate the next step. As you sit in the chair, take the time to hone your patience. There is a little "tongue-in-cheek" here, but really I have seen no set procedure. I have done a few, assisted a few, and called on and sold equipment to some professional shops as well as manufacturers. While there are some repetitive processes with manufacturers, the restorers and body shop are craftsmen and artists, and I doubt that any have ever done it the same way twice. The challenge is performing and organizing task in a manner that keeps you from un-doing a part of a job because you forgot and left something out, and if you do, that's when you really have to dig deep and call up the patience tool. One of the benefits of working alone is not having to admit to or have witnesses to your screw ups. Just work at a comfortable pace and have fun. Good luck!

John Clary
        Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
        SDC member since 1975
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

If you are doing a frame off, The first decision depends on the condition of the floors. If good, just brace the body if it's a hardtop and remove it from the frame. If the floors are bad, replace them and any metal necessary to stabilize the floors, jambs and firewall. Then remove from frame.

I like to do the frame, suspension and drive train first. Then go on to the body so that I can mount it on the frame when it's ready. It's nice to have the frame done so it can be rolled easily to relocate it and place the body on it. Too many bad things can happen to a finished body during long storage.

I also like the idea of leaving the glass until as late as you can. It does make things a lot easier.

Just me

Bob

Comment

The first thing I like to do is to develop a plan and a budget.

What do you have in mind for the car? Nice driver? Show car? Modifications?

What is your approximate budget over what time period? (for example, I can spend $X,000 per year over x years). Make sure your budget fits with what you have in mind for the car.

What work can you do yourself and what needs to be farmed out?

What tools will I need that I don't have? What can I borrow and where and what will I need to buy?

How much space will I need and where will I get it?

With those basics thought out, start in on a more detailed budget. Be ruthless. I find that my initial gross estimate for a project is generally less than my detailed budget (and that my detailed budget is generally less than what the project actually ends up costing )

Pencil out a time frame. How much time will you REALLY have to work on the car each week? How much time will each subsystem task take (be conservative)? Does the time you can devote to the project fit with how many hours it will take to do it?

Be realistic about your skills and how much you enjoy (or don't enjoy) getting greasy and wrenching on a car. It's a big commitment...make sure you are ready to make it.

There are far more failed and abandoned projects out there than completed ones. I think the main reason is that folks just jump into the project without taking a realistic look at the above. It is generally going to cost far more to build a car than to buy one completed. Make sure the "fun" of building one makes up for the monetary loss for you.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Assuming you aren't doing your own chrome: I would tend to start any chrome work near the first of the list so that you aren't waiting six months for chrome to return after you have finished the paint.

If you are buying new then you can wait till near the end and timing the outside chrome/stainless availability is of no consequence.

LP
              sigpic
              Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

What SweetolBob said about floors is right on. Easy to work from the top of the floor and replace what you must while the car is still on the frame. Keep everything tight and your doors in place. Once everything is stable, pulling the body off the frame lets you do it right from both sides. Hardtops have torque boxes and you have to do both sides. When my main guy was getting discouraged working with the floors and braces, I bought him a rotisserie and it seemed to take a few years off his life real quick. Body was in the air and spinning in no time! Now it's back on the frame and pretty darn solid. Hope yours turns out well.
                Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

first dismantle the entire car. throw all the bolts together in a pan. Let sit for five years. Sell basket case project, buy one already done. KP

Ken Pyle

Comment

Your list is about how I approached it. Some things naturally lead to another. I wish I would have ran brakes and fuel lines with the body still off, but I didn't. I wish I could have kept my finished chassis better covered when the body work and paint went on.
                    You think interior can wait, but sometimes you have to get that together as well. I think headliner and glass was mentioned. On a 52 headliner needs to go in early on.
                    Teardown is very important too. You cannot take too many note or pictures, tag every part.
                    I did a Buick one time where every single part and bolt got tagged with a number starting at 1. And then I put it all back together in reverse numerical order. It was kind of fun that way and worked pretty well.

Comment

1. Hide money away from your wife.
                      2. Hide a lot of it away.
                      3. Open Hood.
                      4. Pour money into it.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
                      sigpic
                      John
                      63R-2386
                      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

There has been some great advice here that I will reinforce. I'm just a shade tree hobbiest and do this for fun.

Get a lawn chair. Take breaks. Savor the small victories. If you only look forward to that first drive out onto the road you'll never get there. Be happy finding a part you need or cleaning up some little part. Sometimes you just need to sit in a chair and laugh at it.

Give some thought to a budget. This will cost more time and money than you know. Spread out the expenses a bit if you can. AS part of your plan, know what you need and shop around. Get the chrome done. Get the radiator and the heater core serviced. Get the gas tank cleaned out before you need it. You might even get the seat upholstery done. Maybe your upholsterer will do it for less if there is no rush. Keep your reciepts, but never add them up.

You can work alone, but you can not do everything alone. (I'd like to see someone rope in a window alone.) Get into a support group, something like our second Monday Studebaker group, a group of kooks that understand what you are doing and will offer encouragement and help. Use this group.

Be nice to the neighbors. If you have a one car garage, find a place to put stuff.

I would not remove the body from the frame until the floors were welded in from the top, then take the tub off and weld and finish the bottom. I've been lucky enough to find another frame to put the body on while I finished the chassis. That might help you deal with your one car garage.

Do something every day.

Make sure its a comfortable lawn chair.
                        Bill

http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
                        sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by clarkwd

Do something every day.
                          That just might be the best advice. Even if it's a little thing...do SOMETHING on the project every day.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I think that Dick Steinkamp has some of the best advice regarding planning and the quality of his builds reflects it. The last one I did was lacking one of the most important things from the start. The item was "A Clue"...that is I didn't have a clue when I started. My original intent was to just "fix it up" and knock around in it. However, when the tune up didn't "fix" the skipping engine, off came the head! When I saw cracks in the burnt valves big enough to drop toothpicks through, it was time to pull the engine. When I decided to pull the engine, I decided to take off the front of the car for better access. When the fenders were removed revealing the tin-worm damage at the front pillars...that is when I decided to buy a welder. Each step revealed the need for more steps. The challenge was on. Six years later a trophy winner was born. I don't know about the rest of you, but I experience a little "let down" after completing a project. I wonder if it is the male equivalent of "Post project depression" (compared to "Postpartum Depression")?

John Clary
                            Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
                            SDC member since 1975
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Beer. Lots and lots of beer.

Comment

Working...
                              X