X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Climatizer question

Dear Gurus:

1950 Champion G9.

Handle on thermo all the way in. Unit under seat still hot and hot air in cabin.

Is this just the way it is or do you think my switch is broken? darn it's hot!

Harry

Sounds like the valve is still passing coolant to the core. It probably needs rebuilt or replaced. For the moment, since the heater hoses will need unhooked anyway, get a pipe fitting and hook the hoses together at the firewall; roasting problem solved but you'll still have heat to the windshield defogger when needed.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks but if I hook the two hoses from the valve at the firewall together, isnt hot water still circulating through the core?

Seems like I should splice the two engine hoses and bypass the core alltogether...?

Harry

Comment

You could go out and get a manual shut-off valve and install that ahead of the heater core. Then you can open and close it as you see fit, although you have to get out of the car to open and close it.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
        Holdrege NE
        John
        1950 Champion
        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
        Holdrege NE

Comment

IMHO, you guys are confusing me. Take the hose off the nipple on the rear of the head, tie it off somewhere. Take the hose that is on the nipple at the front of the head, disconnect the coupler that is near the climatizer fan and run the hose from the front of the head to the rear of the head. The hot water will simply circulate from the front nipple to the rear nipple through the engine, and there will be no water in the climatizer.

You undoubtably have a bad climatizer control which needs R & R. But I won't swear to that. But the bypass will allow you to work on any of the system with no water in it.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by elerslie

Dear Gurus:

1950 Champion G9.

Handle on thermo all the way in. Unit under seat still hot and hot air in cabin.

Is this just the way it is or do you think my switch is broken? darn it's hot!

Harry
            At one time, I had to reach over and move the piece on the valve to fully close or open the valve simply because the control was loose and this worked fine until I got the cable fixed.
            Jimmie
            Orleans, Indiana

1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
            sigpicJimmie
            Orange County, Indiana
            1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Comment

I have re routed the the hose as BobGlasscock suggested. The Climatizer is not hot anymore but it still gets warm. Why is that? Am I damaging it in anyway? Should have new valve soon.

Thanks

Harry

Comment

Cars with the underseat heater use a large diameter fabric hose to convey air from the RH fender vent to the heater core. When that hose gets old and decrepit, it tears, often under the hood, and admits hot air from the engine compartment.

Our vendors sell a nice heavy-duty plastic-coated replacement.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                X