• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 headlight housings, painted or chrome

Dick
    Mountain Home, AR
    http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Hi Dick; yes, chrome is Std. on Regal Deluxe.

Rich.

quote:Originally posted by 50starlite
    StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi Dick; yes, chrome is Std. on Regal Deluxe.

Rich.

quote:Originally posted by 50starlite
      StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

According to the book "Studebaker, The Complete Story"...

"other mid-year changes were the switch from painted to chrome headlight rings on top line models". I know that Custom Champions never got them, but I am not sure about DeLuxe Champions.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

According to the book "Studebaker, The Complete Story"...

"other mid-year changes were the switch from painted to chrome headlight rings on top line models". I know that Custom Champions never got them, but I am not sure about DeLuxe Champions.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

The 1950 model year started with painted (body color) headlight rims. About mid-model year, the switch was made to chrome headlight rims on all but the base models.

Chrome was in at the time. I think that the cars look better with the painted headlight rims.

Many 1950 models have been changed, in both directions, over the years. A good example is the 1950 Land Cruiser that Fred Fox owns and his father bought new. The headlight rims were changed at Mr. Fox's request when the car was new.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The 1950 model year started with painted (body color) headlight rims. About mid-model year, the switch was made to chrome headlight rims on all but the base models.

Chrome was in at the time. I think that the cars look better with the painted headlight rims.

Many 1950 models have been changed, in both directions, over the years. A good example is the 1950 Land Cruiser that Fred Fox owns and his father bought new. The headlight rims were changed at Mr. Fox's request when the car was new.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Somewhere I read that the Korean War which broke out in mid 1950 influenced the
                supply of chrome, a war material, and it was hard to get so painted rims.
                i don't know how true but it meets the "makes sense' criteria.

1950 Champion Starlight
                1963 Hawk GT
                Santa Barbara
                CA
                The 1950 Champion Starlight
                Santa Barbara
                CA

Comment

Somewhere I read that the Korean War which broke out in mid 1950 influenced the
                  supply of chrome, a war material, and it was hard to get so painted rims.
                  i don't know how true but it meets the "makes sense' criteria.

1950 Champion Starlight
                  1963 Hawk GT
                  Santa Barbara
                  CA
                  The 1950 Champion Starlight
                  Santa Barbara
                  CA

Comment

The Korean War certainly affected the chrome on the 52's, but I always heard that the reason the early 50s didn't have chrome headlight rings was because Loewy didn't like too much chrome, but the dealers and marketing clamored for it.

Comment

The Korean War certainly affected the chrome on the 52's, but I always heard that the reason the early 50s didn't have chrome headlight rings was because Loewy didn't like too much chrome, but the dealers and marketing clamored for it.

Comment

I don't think that the Korean War had anything to do with it and if it did, it would be in the other direction - chrome to painted.

I believe that Leonard is more on the mark. The '50 was designed to emulate a plane with the central theme being the nose piece. Chrome on the headlight rims only detracts from this by having three points to catch your attention, instead of one central one. The auto industry and the public was going to more chrome in the fifties.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I don't think that the Korean War had anything to do with it and if it did, it would be in the other direction - chrome to painted.

I believe that Leonard is more on the mark. The '50 was designed to emulate a plane with the central theme being the nose piece. Chrome on the headlight rims only detracts from this by having three points to catch your attention, instead of one central one. The auto industry and the public was going to more chrome in the fifties.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:[i]I believe that Leonard is more on the mark. The '50 was designed to emulate a plane with the central theme being the nose piece. Chrome on the headlight rims only detracts from this by having three points to catch your attention, instead of one central one. The auto industry and the public was going to more chrome in the fifties.
                            And look at the bright side, if you have chrome ones pitted as bad as mine are, it's two fewer pieces to send to the chrome shop.

If mine weren't pitted, maybe I'd sell them and find some crummier ones, 'cause I want mine body color anyway.

BTW, how do these mount onto the fenders? It doesn't show anything in the shop manual. Are there studs on the headlight rims, with nuts on the inside of the fender?

Paul

1950 Land Cruiser project
                            I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
                            1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

quote:[i]I believe that Leonard is more on the mark. The '50 was designed to emulate a plane with the central theme being the nose piece. Chrome on the headlight rims only detracts from this by having three points to catch your attention, instead of one central one. The auto industry and the public was going to more chrome in the fifties.
                              And look at the bright side, if you have chrome ones pitted as bad as mine are, it's two fewer pieces to send to the chrome shop.

If mine weren't pitted, maybe I'd sell them and find some crummier ones, 'cause I want mine body color anyway.

BTW, how do these mount onto the fenders? It doesn't show anything in the shop manual. Are there studs on the headlight rims, with nuts on the inside of the fender?

Paul

1950 Land Cruiser project
                              I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
                              1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

Working...
                              X