What is a 56 Power Hawk worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a 56 Power Hawk worth?

I am considering buying my first Studebaker after years of old Fords. I've always loved the Hawks and have a chance to buy a real nice 56 Power Hawk. Nice paint and great interior, chrome is good and it runs and drives nice. Having been a Ford guy, I have no idea what it is worth. Could someone give me a ballpark $$ on this? Thanks.

Based on this limited information and no pictures, my guesstimate is $10K to $20K.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My first Stude, first CAR, was a '56 Power Hawk!
      Hope the deal works out, and if you like your's 1/10 as much as I loved mine, you'll be happy!

A. Charles Eck, Jr.
      Essex, MD

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

'64 Cruiser 'Louise'
      '57 Commander 4 door sedan 'Bluebird'
      '66 Ford F-250
      '66 Ford F-100
      '53 John Deere 50
      '41 John Deere H All-Fuel
      '41 John Deere B All-Fuel

Comment

The '56 Power Hawk with the 259", optional 4-bbl, dual exhausts and overdrive is maybe my favorite contender for the best all-around driver's car Stude ever made. Reasonably strong-running, sealed better and rattled less than the hardtops. Cleanest of all the Hawk designs. (Yes, I know the Flight Hawk shares the same body, but the Champion is a dead dog in a 3600# coupe - I owned one.)

Being happy with a Studebaker is coming to terms with rust issues. Mechanically, and above the rocker panels, nothing could be stronger than a Power Hawk. First thing to do is pull up the floor and trunk mats. All Studes had more holes than Swiss cheese in the driver's side floorboard. There are more holes than sheet metal. On most Power Hawks, the under-side pedal cover went away the first time anyone did any work under the car. Water poured in through all the myriad holes. Studebaker used a jute backed rubber mat in the Power Hawk. The jute backing absorbed the water and held the moisture next to the sheet metal year-round. If your PH is from Nevada or has had the floors replaced, you are good to go. Just get a close look before any money changes hands.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

Thanks for the tips. The car is really solid, the trunk looks like new inside. The previous owner had all of the hard work done. I bought it and can't wait to get it home. I'll post some pictures when I have a chance.

Comment

Working...
          X