PDA

View Full Version : Steering Column

Gallivan
12-31-2006, 04:48 PM
I've taken apart my steering column to get the petrified grease and broken turn signal arm out.

Any tips on re-assembly- type of lube, lube points, secret tricks to feed the wiring harness?

Also the bearing at the top is a little stiff- can it easily be taken out and repacked, or replaced, or don't worry about it?

Thanks

Gallivan
57 Golden Hawk
Golden, CO

64V-K7
01-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Last time I did one was many years ago, but I recall using white grease on the turn signal wear points. The wire harness? If you got it out, then you know how to get it in..

mjeansonne
01-02-2007, 08:06 AM
I have my column out to be replaced with an automatic shift column. My plans are to grease it with white lithium grease.

Also, to replace the horn wire in the center steering shaft, try snaking an old speedometer cable down the shaft first... then attach the new wire to one end of the speedometer cable and pull the wire on through.

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Gallivan
01-02-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks,guys- nothing like doing something for the first time. No wonder nobody stops with just one Studebaker- by the time you accumulate all the tools and know-how you realize how much easier the second one is going to be!

Gallivan
57 Golden Hawk
Golden, CO