Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Killer inside me = 3 Studebakers ( Long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Killer inside me = 3 Studebakers ( Long)

Went downtown (Tulsa) and shot a movie yesterday. The movie takes place in 1957, so 57 and earlier cars were wanted. I took my 55 Conestoga, Bruce McKenna took his 55 Speedster, and a early C cab pick up (never got the owners name).
    WE arived just before 11am and they said we need 5 to 7 cars to go to the airport. So Bruce's speedster and my 55 Conestoga were chosen.
    A 47-48 Cad limo was the star car of the movie. All shooting took place around this car.

At the airport we were split up in 3-4 groups One group was with a DC-3 American Airlines plane. Bruce's Speedster was at first with a 47 Ford truck with the hoods up, later he was moved beside a hanger as a side sceene car alone.
    The Conestoga & I was put with a 50 Chev conv at the Tulsair terminal with several dressed in the 50s stand ins. In the sceen they were waving good-by to me as i drive the Conestoga away.

Next we were sent back downtown to shoot sceenes, and they put 1957 Texas tags on all the cars.
    They had 1 square block that we drove in circles, Cad driving one direction other cars driving the other. They were shooting inside the Cad, cars were also parked all around this block as sceene cars we spent about 3 hours trading spaces and driving, then we all had a lunch break.

We (my g/f and I) barley got food on our plate and they wanted us back down on the streets to shoot again.
    This is the speedster going around and around.

We shot till about 9 pm at different locations around the block and there were casualties, several cars got hot and vapor locked, inclucing mine. they would say, get ready, and have us start the cars in line and make us wait as long as 30 minutes with the engine running, the cars couldnt take it. The 47-48 Ford Police car would hardly run and had to pull out a few times, they had 4 taxi's and one 56 Chev taxi smoked real bad, a 55 chev Taxi finally quit running all together they had a 57 Pontiac Taxi that looked horrible and i dont think it ran at all. A real nice 51 Ford conv. vapor locked several times, My Conestoga vapor locked about 3 times and ran out of gas at the last sceene. They had a crew come give me gas. I did manage to get out and hand choke the car and get it going again at each vapor lock, guess that 6 volt battery is pretty tough as it never did run down.
    It was quite an adventure and took a lot longer that i had expected, but fun was had by all.
    So now i own a movie car, and can say " Used in the movie Killer Inside Me ".

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

hmm, Texas tags huh? Didn't know Tulsa moved. There's people in OK that won't like that!!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

hmm, Texas tags huh? Didn't know Tulsa moved. There's people in OK that won't like that!!
      About 20 years ago, they filmed a movie here in Calgary in the neighborhood where I lived at the time that was supposed to take place in 'small town California'. The cars used in the film all had California plates on them, and several of the storefronts as used in the shooting had their various signs replaced where applicable. One example was the service station nearby that had the 'CAA Authorized Repair' sign exchanged with an AAA of California eqivalent during the shooting.

Craig

Comment

I'd like to go "round and round" in that Speedster, too.

Chris Pile
        Editor: The Studebaker Special
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

That is a cool shoot! I think that was a very poor choice of MoPars though. You would never see TWO rare, identical Business Coupes on the same block like that, a better choice would be some of the more commonly seen 4 doors!

StudeRich
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Looks like fun!
            Good to get the Studes in the public eye...who knows, it might lead to another "convert".

Anorak (an English term for a "nerd" obsessed with details on a particular subject...in this case airplanes)note:
            American Airlines got rid of its DC-3s in 1949...replacing them with Convairs..so an AA DC-3 with 50s cars wouldn't be right. But at least the producers tried!

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I hope they gave you a few bucks for your time, the use of your car, gas, etc. Also, I have about 20 clothes pins on my fuel line where it runs next to the engine block and I never have any vapor lock problems....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

Great shots, clonelark. Sounds like a long day. Good Stude exposure. Maybe you could make your own short movie about vapor lock and just call that, "The Killer Inside Me.... Fuel Line."

Comment

Working...
                X