Clear All

• X-Hawk ... Flying Your Way Soon?

X-Hawk: The Revolutionary, Modular, VTOL Aircraft

No fins[V]

Video:

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Naw.

Chris Pile
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The Studebaker Special
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Didn't I see that thing on the cover of the June, 1957 issue of Science Illustrated?

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
      In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
      If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

X-Hawk: The Revolutionary, Modular, VTOL Aircraft

No fins[V]
        But hey, Jeff: it's yellow!

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
        In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
        If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

Which Ford engine powers this thing?

Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Editor of "The Down Easterner"
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Bored $ Stroked flathead.
            Klif

55 Speedster
            63 Avanti R2
            63 Lark R2
            55 Speedster/Street Machine
            63 Avanti R2
            64 Convertible R1

Comment

no fins, no Hawk

Ken Pyle

Comment

This is an old idea, hasn't any one ever heard of the Sky Car? http://www.moller.com/skycar.htm This car is using two big stationary fans for lift and two small one for thrust. Sky Car uses four medium sized rotating ducted fans for both lift and thrust.

Mike Carter

Comment

Just last night after seeing an Orbitz ad on TV I asked my wife if I could get a hovercraft...now this shows up. Coincidence? Karma? A sign from Rod Serling?

Wonder if the FAA would mind you adding fiberglass fins to this one? They might help stability, but would make it more sensitive to crosswinds...

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Hey! Look at those fans(?) at the rear. There was a couple years of Chrysler Imperials that foretold of such things![:0]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1963 Cruiser
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Moller just filed for bankruptcy after 35 years of taking investors money and spending it.
                      Only thing he ever really did was Super-Trap mufflers, and he sold that to get into his air car thing...
                      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by M15 Trucker

This is an old idea, hasn't any one ever heard of the Sky Car? http://www.moller.com/skycar.htm This car is using two big stationary fans for lift and two small one for thrust. Sky Car uses four medium sized rotating ducted fans for both lift and thrust.

Mike Carter

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Frankly, this whole Air-Car thing is, and always has been, fanciful, tunnel-visioned dreaming.

OK, imagine there's a real breakthrough of powerplants, technology and fuels that make the idea practical. The first few folks in the air wouldn't have too much trouble. But once everyone started taking to the skies to avoid red lights and traffic jams, what's gonna happen??? And unlike an intersection collision - where only vehicle occupants suffer - now there's the danger to unsuspecting folks in their homes and back yards! Stupid idea.

Heh - the "Sky-Car" was invented long ago. Sadly, some short-sighted sort chose to call it a Helicopter. Boy did HE miss the boat!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1963 Cruiser
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Powerplants and airframes aside...
                          NASA has an active program called 'Highways In The Skies" that could make the safety aspect of general aviation a lot more interesting...
                          Assuming all you say happens, this kind of technology could make all those goofy science fiction future movie scenes a reality.
                          Here are some interesting links about this program, which is still in its infancy...
                          http://search.nasa.gov/search/search...way+in+the+sky

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Frankly, this whole Air-Car thing is, and always has been, fanciful, tunnel-visioned dreaming.

OK, imagine there's a real breakthrough of powerplants, technology and fuels that make the idea practical. The first few folks in the air wouldn't have too much trouble. But once everyone started taking to the skies to avoid red lights and traffic jams, what's gonna happen??? And unlike an intersection collision - where only vehicle occupants suffer - now there's the danger to unsuspecting folks in their homes and back yards! Stupid idea.

Heh - the "Sky-Car" was invented long ago. Sadly, some short-sighted sort chose to call it a Helicopter. Boy did HE miss the boat!

Jeff

Comment

Even IF the logistics of it were overcome, the required certified maintenance and repairs would/will make it something only the wealthiest can do. I can't imagine Pep Boys selling repair and tune-up parts to back yard wrenchers when the end results will be flying over my house or yours![:0][8][xx(]

Think helicopters. Complex, fairly well regulated as to design, maintenance standards and operating proceedures. Again, read this as EXPENSIVE - period.

Until someone devises a practical, inexpensive and reliable anti-gravity contrivance, aerial commuting will be fantasy.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1963 Cruiser
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

Comment

This is my hitch with the flying devices for the public without any flying experience. The parts must be simple, easy to repair, and widely available. For me, I would also add being able to be tinkered with. The plane must be easy to fly, easy to maneuver, and be cost effective(thinking affordable). The public will also have to get smarter in operating these vehicles. At the moment they have enough trouble with two dimensions, let alone giving them three dimensions. The infrastructure will also need to be adapted, particularly if it needs a runway(which this one apparently does not) This is what I see as to why these marvelous vehicles have trouble getting off the ground, it's the overhead ...

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010520-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                              [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                              [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                              X