Young'uns and Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young'uns and Studebakers

(borrowed from Quinn's Palma thread but posted separately as not to dilute RQ's thread)

As an unrelated, but Drivers Ed related side note....
    My neighbor kid 'Josh' came over yesterday and was helping move some transmissions and blocks around in the shop.
    After we got seriously dirty, he asked me if he could drive the yellow truck around a bit.
    Knowing he is only 15, and dirty.... I said 'No, I had no plans, or desire to get the truck out in 98 degree weather to 'just drive around'..
    He said nothing more...
    But, three hours later we were in the house having some ice cold lemonade.
    He tells me "I have a new wallet"..."Look here"
    And he proceeds to flip it open to show me his brand new 'Learners Permit'.....
    He was soooo proud.
    Said he only missed one question (out of 45), and that was the 'in city' un posted speed limit trick question....
    (Not fair to ask a country boy who lives 15 miles from the big city)
    I told him "Why the heck didn't you tell me you were legal to dive (with an adult)?"
    So we scheduled a "Young Punk Kid Drives a Studebaker Day" for Sunday[].
    (Then maybe I'll have Josh write a driving impressions letter[])
    Start 'em young, right Bob?
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

[b][purple]
    <snip>
    The letter to Car Life was written just a few days after my 16th birthday. I was probably a little testy in that Dad had me take my initial Illinois Driver License on-the-road test in our new, 1962 Mercury Monterey 4-door, rather than the family's second car, a 1957 Studebaker President 2-door, which I greatly preferred.
    <snip>
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Ya, getting you permit is or was at least something special for me back in 1956, so the old 53 Buick would get washed a lot more if I could move it. About 5 years ago I was heading east and get this call from a member in the club saying he needed to sell the 52 commander right then he was moving, he lived in Sacramento and me in Nevada at the time, so I had him call my grandson Clayton's other grand father who also lives in the Sacramento area and if he would store the car there until I got back and I could send him a check we had a deal, he was happy with that, he made his call and they set it up and he drove it over, he was original owner so now I am the 2nd owner of a 52 commander, any way while it was there sitting on a half acre of ground my grandson Clayton then about 9 started driving a stick shift V-8 4 door around the lot, what a kick for him his first drive under power of an engine, since then in 2007 he had his chance at 11 to drive our 67 Avanti on the Bonneville salt track at 75 miles an hour what a thrill for him some thing he will always remember, it is fun for me also being able to do these different things with him and he loves Studebakers, he also loves to hear the tire spin and smoke, I want to plan a trip to Bonneville for speed week some time with him, He did get to go with me to the Grand Nation Roadster show in Jan. and see the Ute. could write all day about him and Studebakers maybe he can post some of his feeling about them as he is a forum member age 14. Go ahead and chip in here any time Clayton...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Good job, Jeff. The South GA Chapter needs more young guys. [8D] I remember the first time I got to drive the yellow CE, down at Lake Mary. That's something I'll never forget.

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

And I still owe you a drive....
        (I haven't forgotten)
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Good job, Jeff. The South GA Chapter needs more young guys. [8D] I remember the first time I got to drive the yellow CE, down at Lake Mary. That's something I'll never forget.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

As a farm boy, I was driving the 8N Ford tractor by 6 or 7 years old so the first license wasn't that big of a deal. My first real driving experience was unforgettable, though. I had gone to the feed store with my grandad in his M5 truck. Grandad was in his 80s and didn't see too well and I don't think there was a square inch of that old truck that wasn't dented, scraped, or just gone. At the feed store he managed to hit one of the other farmers trucks, causing quite a commotion. I was pretty nervous becuase people were hollering at grandad and he was pretty confused. The local cop showed up and calmed everybody down then said "Mr. Coy, I am going to have to take your license." Granddad started to argue, then said "Well hell, Charlie, if I can't drive then, by God, I'll just have my grandson drive me around--get in the truck, boy." I had to grip the steering wheel with both hands to get the clutch down and the truck started, but backed it out and drove off with everybody including the cop watching me. I was 11 and proud as punch. Of course the cop had known me all my life and probably figured I was safer than grandad. After grandad passed, my dad sold the M for $10.00 to a guy needing a transmission but I'm still driving that 8n tractor 51 years later.

Jeff Jones
          Tucson Arizona
          1947 M-5

Comment

Usually young'uns means under 50 in this club.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK
              I told him "Why the heck didn't you tell me you were legal to dive (with an adult)?"
              So we scheduled a "Young Punk Kid Drives a Studebaker Day" for Sunday[].
              (Then maybe I'll have Josh write a driving impressions letter[])
              Start 'em young, right Bob?
              Jeff[8D][/b][/navy]
              When I read "legal to dive with an adult," I thought maybe you were taking up scuba with the lad or something, Jeffster![:0][8D]

Yes, good to start 'em out young. Haven't your daughters brought any candidates by? [b]BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

How young is to young? I know "he should keep his eyes on the road"

Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO
                President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO

Comment

Ya and useing his arm to signal with, nice, nice

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Comment

John, would it bother you to know I didn't get my permit until the fall of 1979, took drivers ed in a '80 Dodge Aspen and got my license on the first shot in March of 1980?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Got my "learners permit" in '84; really haven't learned much despite having a permit to do so. :^)

Its not the years in your life that matters, its the life in your years.

Comment

John are you going to Cedar Rapids? is so will see you there..Bob

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Nope, can't make it this time. Will be picking up one of those unmentionable rear-engine cars in AZ. Next time.

John

Comment

My 16 yr old daughter got her learners permit a couple months ago. I've been riding shot gun in her 64 Cruiser. [] Now she tows her Jr. Dragster to the strip with my 63 Lark. [8D]

Gordon

Comment

Working...
                              X