Clone is starting to look like a real R2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clone is starting to look like a real R2

I've been working on the Clone since i only scored 376 points at the last meet. If you want a first place you have to work for it.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

quote:Originally posted by clonelark

I've been working on the Clone since i only scored 376 points at the last meet. If you want a first place you have to work for it.

I could deduct 6 to 12 points under that hood if you were in stock class.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Well, at least he has a battery hold down
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by JDP
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

JDP/Maryland

[/quote]

For those of us not as familiar with them as yourself,what would you deduct for? Not meant to start a rant and please dont go there but I would like to know. I am trying to keep Tracy's 63 as near stock as I can within reason and am just curious. Thanks,Steve
        sigpic

Comment

I'd guess polished radiator tank(semi gloss black), incorrect radiator cap(replace with one without a lever), band type hose clamps(wire type). Either way its still a super nice car[8D]

Jon Krimm
          1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

The supercharger should be orange. Still a real nice car as mentioned.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

It's modified, aka Clone

Comment

I like it.

Chris Pile
                Midway Chapter SDC
                The Studebaker Special
                The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 62SY4

I'd guess polished radiator tank(semi gloss black), incorrect radiator cap(replace with one without a lever), band type hose clamps(wire type). Either way its still a super nice car[8D]

Jon Krimm
                  1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ
                  Add wrong 45 amp alternator and missing nut on brace, missing air cleaner and hose to pan breather, wrong fuel filter with missing return line, no caution fan, R2 letters on panel. Not of which hurt in modified class.

This is a bit closer to stock, but still not 100%

JDP/Maryland
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 62SY4

Hose clamps are OK per page 27 of the Judging Manual...

"Cooling: Radiator hoses and clamps have been an area of much discussion. Research has determined the currently available radiator hoses are now smaller in diameter than the radiator hoses that were used at the time the Studebaker's were manufactured. This is due to the use of newer materials with thinner sidewalls. As a result, the original hose clamps do not fit the new hoses very well. Therefore, airplane type clamps, also known as worm clamps, are acceptable to use to replace the original type clamps, with no deductions."

I URGE anyone wanting to have their car judged OR if they feel they may be a judge at some point in time to READ the Judging Manual. There is a lot of mis-information out there.

I judged at our recent zone meet and overheard another judge say that he was going to give a particular car "slack" relative to the competition since it was driven there and not trailered. The manual says this about that...

"Trailered and driven vehicles are to be judged together by the same standard."

(page 20)

DO NOT expect to score highly with a driven car. Ours is a DRIVER'S CLUB, but at the concours the best of the best score highly (and rightfully so). This is almost impossible to do with a driven car.

Remember also that in the modified classes, ONLY CONDITION is judged. The car with the Armor-All'd tires on the INSIDE and the dust free engine compartment wins. You get NO points for engineering, attractiveness, etc. A lime green 4 door Lark with orange vinyl seats jacked up with 13" wheels can beat all the others IF it is the straightest, shiniest, and cleanest.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by clonelark

It's modified, aka Clone

Got that, just replying to the guy that wanted stock comments.

JDP/Maryland
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

FYI, just for Steve (Wolfie) and not modified class cars: this car has the the wrong right oil cap, missing decal on the left, Wrong Throttle return spring, Battery name tags all over the battery need to be stripped and Studebaker Battery decals added (Black Case and Group 24 is as close as afford-ably available), battery cables were Prestolite and Black, Alternator Warning Decal and Caution Fan Decals missing, Air cleaner, Hose and Decal missing, as mentioned: Oil Pan breather missing, fuel filter, fuel return system, 35 AMP Alternator should be 40 AMP dual ear, Rad. Cap, and added R2 markings, very nice looking Rad. top tank but incorrect, needs semi-gloss Black.

This Commander does look very good [] and reasonably close to correct, but remember you wanted to know what IS correct! [^]
                        ____________________________________________________________________
                        You know it occurred to me that I see why some people who shall remain nameless (D.S.) never allow their cars to be judged!
                        This could get SOOOooo out of control!

Lets just say for instance, that I show up at a International Meet with my nicely restored '64 Daytona Hardtop and I enter it for the first time among last years 395-400 point class winners, the judges do 5 or 6 nearly perfect cars and some drivers, they get to mine and I match the quality and originality of the best of them, BUT I show up with original NOS Battery Cables that NO ONE even knows existed, with factory photos to prove it, by rights they should go back and deduct Originality points from every one and give me 400!

If you think the prior 400 point winners would be pi$@*d you are more than right! [:0]
                        I predict, the next year they would exempt battery cables like hose clamps!
                        Which is REALLY best for people wanting to preserve the History of Studebaker and what is correct, AND belong to a DRIVERS Club for fun, not knock-down drag out FIGHTS? [:0]
                        Sorry, end of rant!

StudeRich
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think it looks great. Nice work Bob.

Bill

Comment

Well if you had seen the radiator before i cleaned it up would have been points lost for shabby lookin radiator, I knew about the clamps or i would have made some wire ones, (past spring maker). I know about the radiator cap and it will be replaced as soon as i find a nicer one.
                            I like the Supercharger polished, looks better to me. R2 letters cost me .89 cents each, I like em, I also drive my Lark everyday, Ask anyone in the local club. they cant even drive thiers to a club meeting. Car will improve every time i decide to work on it.
                            Car looks better than when i got it and thats all i care. But please DO pick it apart so i can improve it.

Comment

Now here's a guy that is really ASKING FOR IT. Really willing to take constructive criticism.

GOOD FOR YA!

LOUIS
                              289cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X