Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that go "bang" and make smoke.

Today I continued to extract parts from this car:

I'd already removed the engine, and separated the transmission for Studebaker George in Florida. He also wanted some other parts, including the rear shocks, which I took out this morning. I decided to hang the hood, grille and front and rear fenders back on it, so it would look more complete, and also to clear up a small fraction of the clutter in my yard. (I did say, "small fraction.") I even welded a broken hood hinge. I couldn't find the hood side panels; maybe I didn't get them with the car.

I had the engine sitting on blocks, and also supported by the hoist, so I decided to have one more go at starting it, after having been skunked last Fall. So I pulled out all the plugs, and poured a dollop of 80W-90 into each cylinder. Hit the starter, and got an oil gusher out of each spark plug hole. I replaced all the plugs, trickled a little gas into the carb, and gave it a shot. BIG backfire, and a cloud of smoke. #4 and #5 spark plugs were miswired; that'll do it every time. Sorted that out, trickled some more gas into it, and finally got it to run for a few seconds at a time, enough to build up good RPM and to build oil pressure. Best reading on the gauge was 100 PSI, but I don't trust that gauge all that much. At least it has oil pressure and no knocks, so the bottom end must be relatively sound. It made several brief runs of 2 or 3 seconds each, enough to get the block pleasantly warm. I'd seen enough, so I picked it up with the loader on my tractor, and set it on blocks in my shed for the time being. As far as I'm concerned, it's a rebuildable core. I KNOW the pistons are bad, because I had the head off last Fall.

Here's a pic of the engine, with the loader poised behind it:

The engine number is H36671, incidentally.

This car would make somebody a real nice streetrod or rat rod. There's a little rust in the body, but not much in conspicuous places, and it wouldn't be a huge chore to make it right. I feel the car is too far gone to be restored, especially seeing as it's a W3 body, with fairly low trim, and because I've robbed important parts off it to make another car good. It rolls, and it steers, and the brakes are all there, but don't work. Even has a hill holder. Door hinges and latches all work, more or less.

I plan to eventually put this car up on eBay, but if anyone on the Forum is interested, $750 will take it right now. I also have a 250 cu. in. Chevy six (with separate intake manifold) and a Flightomatic transmission which will fit it. You'd have to cut the floor to make room for the Flightomatic, of course. I probably have one or two later crossmembers on hand which would accomodate the Flightomatic mounts. Special mounts would have to be fabbed to support the engine, as the original mounted right under the timing cover, and the 250 has mounts about 1/3 of the way back along the sides of the block. The left side mount would have to be some kind of arch or cantilever to clear the steering box, if you wanted to keep the stock suspension, which appears to be in decent shape. I have the radiator for this car, too, by the way. I figure another $500 for the engine and transmission would be fair. You could probably talk me into mounting the engine and transmission, but I don't want to build the entire car; too many projects.

A few more pictures at this link: http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/b...u/38Commander/

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Gord,

You absolutely amaze me! Where do you find them and how do you find to time to work on all of them?

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
    Oakville, Ontario.
    Hamilton Chapter
    See you in Cedar Rapids Summer 2009
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

That body is amazing. I've seen 10 year old Chevys with more body rust than that.

IUN

Comment

That's a great deal, Gord. If someone is even remotely thinking about a project such as that, they'd never find all of those parts with which to start at that price. Hope you get a buyer here, but I bet ebay will draw a more lucrative price for you to help fund a future project.

Doug, what the heck did you call yourself to draw the "invalid" user name?

Comment

Dave, I wanted something that people would remember- did I do good? It's actually the name I picked. I use it on many forums. Nobody ever forgets me.

IUN

Comment

Good deal, Gord.

With all those parts, maybe George will get the '38 out of the garage a little more often. It only sees use whenever I get down there and beg him to let me drive it.

[)][)][)]

Matthew Burnette
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Allen, I don't have enough time. That's why this one is for sale. Really, I just bought for exactly what I'm doing: save a few good parts for the Stude community, and hopefully make a buck or two from a rodder who wants a project. The grille in this car is darn near perfect; just a couple of the bars need straightening.

Comment

Gord, Would it be possible to get a close up picture of the inside of the grill? As a person who works in metal manufacturing, I am always curious as to how people made things in the past. Is it a die cast grill? I have never seen one close up.

Doug

Comment

Sure, Doug. Maybe later today. It's not die-cast, more like strips of stainless supported on strips of plain painted steel, I think.

Comment

Gord:
                    I don't know what year that is (37 or 38?), but I have a friend who needs a gas tank for a 37 President. Does this car have a good one that would work? If so, how much would you want for it?

Thanks

Howard
                    53 Commander Starliner
                    56 Sky Hawk
                    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Howard, the gas tank in this car has some dents in the bottom, not real bad though. They probably could be worked out. I'm thinking it would fit a '37 Dictator, since the bodies are very similar, but I don't know for certain. I'm kind of loath to part with the fuel tank, though, since if the car does get rodded, it will need a fuel tank, and the stock tank, if it is still good, is the way to go.

I also have a '37 Dictator here, not sure how the fuel tank is in it, but I could have a look.

Comment

Gord:
                        Thanks for the quick response. Sorry, I neglected to say that the car in question is a '37 President State sedan. If you have a gas tank that will work, I am interested!

Thanks

Howard
                        53 Commander Starliner
                        56 Sky Hawk
                        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                        '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Invalid User Name

Gord, Would it be possible to get a close up picture of the inside of the grill? As a person who works in metal manufacturing, I am always curious as to how people made things in the past. Is it a die cast grill? I have never seen one close up.

Doug
                          Doug, here are links to the 2 pics I took of the grille:

Comment

Update: I did manage to find the hood side panels, and some interior window garnish moldings for this car.

Comment

Gord, email me your phone number. I need to talk to you and figure out a plan to get that transmission to Florida.

Comment

Working...
                              X