Look at under a '65 Cruiser hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look at under a '65 Cruiser hood

Can somebody post, or email me, a color picture of the engine of a 1965 Cruiser V-8? I am trying to get the paint scheme as close to orginal as possible. I know most stuff is black, but the small stuff, brackets, manifolds, etc. are what I am looking for.

Thanks for the help.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

quote:Originally posted by JRoberts

Can somebody post, or email me, a color picture of the engine of a 1965 Cruiser V-8? I am trying to get the paint scheme as close to orginal as possible. I know most stuff is black, but the small stuff, brackets, manifolds, etc. are what I am looking for.

Thanks for the help.

Joe Roberts
    Really, Joe, you can reference the 1964 engine room authenticity material in the May 2009 Co-Operator. For all practical purposes, nothing changed from 1964 to 1965 even though the engine itself was from an entirely different manufacturer.

I think they probably kept all the colors the same in 1965 to try to fool everybody.

If there were any serious deviations from 1964, I'm sure someone will post. If not, just use the May 2009 Co-Operator for reference. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I remember Ed Reynolds telling me that there were a few different engine decals used on the 65 V-8's & he sold the one that was the most popular. As Bob stated, all the engines were black. The air cleaners were sourced from Canada & had the "front" decal on the face. I'm not sure of the valve cover color, mine on the 66 were black, same as the engine. The 66 is here with me now, but most of my parts are still in the old house's garage, so I cant get into the minor details.

60 Lark convertible
      61 Champ
      62 Daytona convertible
      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2)
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Warren Webb
        I'm not sure of the valve cover color, mine on the 66 were black, same as the engine.
        All valve covers I've seen were black. The 65 brochure showed yellow valve covers, but I've never seen any in person. That doesn't mean some or all 65 covers WEREN'T yellow.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

There definitely were yellow '65 valve covers.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I have had two '65 wagonaires and both have had yellow valve covers. Haven't seen any black but I am sure they existed. Sorry I don't have any pixs of the engine area.

Comment

I parted out a rusty 65 Commander wagon 283 auto with sliding roof. It had yellow valve covers with the Studebaker stickers on them.

Richard Burks
              Middle TN
              53s
              57 Transtar
              My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
              sigpic
              Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
              in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by Warren Webb
                I'm not sure of the valve cover color, mine on the 66 were black, same as the engine.
                All valve covers I've seen were black. The 65 brochure showed yellow valve covers, but I've never seen any in person. That doesn't mean some or all 65 covers WEREN'T yellow.

Dick Steinkamp
                Honest, Dick, most 1965 283 engines had yellow valve covers, although there was a running channge to black.

One of the rarest copies of Turning Wheels is the August 1988 issue. For some reason, few copies were overprinted, so back issues quickly sold out.

That issue contains Fred Fox' comprehensive report on 1965 Studebakers. The first paragraph on Page 8 inlcudes these words,

"Engines were black with yellow valve covers on early models and black valve covers on late models."

Unfortunately, nowhere in the article does it clarify when the change was made. There was really no need to note the change in the parts book, either, since the same part fit both early and late engines.

Conversely, I've never seen a 1966 valve cover that wasn't black. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

"Engines were black with yellow valve covers on early models and black valve covers on late models."

I stand corrected. Thanks, Bob [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                  X