Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't look for a car you used to own...

One of the guys in the local SDC chapter called some weeks ago asking if we knew who might now own a '57 Golden Hawk that he had sold years ago. He wanted it back. When he sold it, it was a nice looking, good running car, he said. We sent an email out to the chapter members, and within days I got a call from a guy who lives 10 miles from me. He has the car - or what's left of it.

The car had been completely disassembled for restoration by the first buyer. He lost interest, sold the package to another guy who left part of it outside. The guy who has it now, "rescued" it and took the pieces to his barn, where it is now buried under lots of other car parts, but he was willing to sell it. When the guy who wanted it back saw the condition of the scattered pieces, he almost cried. Since he can't do a restoration and reassembly himself, he was priced out of any attempt to put it back together.

The current owner is going to offer it for sale in a couple of months. I'll let you know when it's available. There is a little rust here and there, but not too bad. The frame is all cleaned and painted. Maybe all the parts are there, maybe not. It would be a good project. It's about 20 minutes east of Providence, RI.

The current owner also has LOTS of strange vehicles parked around the place - Hillmans, Singers, Humbers, Commer vans, Sunbeam Tiger, Morris Minor station wagons, '70s Dodge Challenger convertible, Airstream trailer, and, of course, lots of Studebakers. None of them are "in progress", all just sitting.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

yeah, I sold a restored 55 Commander Coupe to a friend's son - back about '77 or so. I didn't see the car for 6 months thereafter, but when I did ....[:0] I was shocked. It was beat to hell. I couldn't believe that someone (especially this guy's kid - as the guy was meticulous about his own cars and stuff!) could degrade something so bad - so quick![xx(]
    I wasn't "attached" to the car but it kinda irked me to see my hours of labor trashed. I got what I wanted for the car so I never said anything to my friend.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

yeah, I sold a restored 55 Commander Coupe to a friend's son - back about '77 or so. I didn't see the car for 6 months thereafter, but when I did ....[:0] I was shocked. It was beat to hell. I couldn't believe that someone (especially this guy's kid - as the guy was meticulous about his own cars and stuff!) could degrade something so bad - so quick![xx(]
      I wasn't "attached" to the car but it kinda irked me to see my hours of labor trashed. I got what I wanted for the car so I never said anything to my friend.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I sold a 1965 Commander 4 door a few years back. It was a stripper 6 cylinder, 3-on-the-tree but nice enough with absolutely no rust. I sold it to an officer at Offutt AFB who wanted to drive it back and forth to work once in awhile. He was absolutely not interested in joining our local SDC or national, which was fine by me. Fast forward to June 2006. I was on the way back from the grocery store and spotted the car about 3 blocks north of home. It was parked on the street and was incredibly dirty. I drove around the block and as I approached it saw that the passenger side had taken a good hit and both doors were caved in. The car was still there the next day but hasn't been back to where I saw it parked. I only sold the car because I did not have storage for it. I would have kept it had I known its intended fate.

Studedude1961
        --1963 Cruiser

Comment

I sold a 1965 Commander 4 door a few years back. It was a stripper 6 cylinder, 3-on-the-tree but nice enough with absolutely no rust. I sold it to an officer at Offutt AFB who wanted to drive it back and forth to work once in awhile. He was absolutely not interested in joining our local SDC or national, which was fine by me. Fast forward to June 2006. I was on the way back from the grocery store and spotted the car about 3 blocks north of home. It was parked on the street and was incredibly dirty. I drove around the block and as I approached it saw that the passenger side had taken a good hit and both doors were caved in. The car was still there the next day but hasn't been back to where I saw it parked. I only sold the car because I did not have storage for it. I would have kept it had I known its intended fate.

Studedude1961
          --1963 Cruiser

Comment

It DOES go the other way too, sometimes. My '66 Cruiser (now for sale) was nearly a basket case when I got it. Now it looks decent, runs again, has lots of new parts in it and is used. The original owners have told me how happy they are that I got the car. The wife learned how to drive in that car and they took all their babies home from the hospital in it when they were born. It was also used by the kids when they were in college, etc.

There ARE happy endings.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

It DOES go the other way too, sometimes. My '66 Cruiser (now for sale) was nearly a basket case when I got it. Now it looks decent, runs again, has lots of new parts in it and is used. The original owners have told me how happy they are that I got the car. The wife learned how to drive in that car and they took all their babies home from the hospital in it when they were born. It was also used by the kids when they were in college, etc.

There ARE happy endings.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

There sure are Scott. I sold my 1951 Land Cruiser a couple of years ago to a fellow on the east coast who went on to totally restore it. It may be one of the finest 1951's in the country now.

wwwcaroholic.com

Studedude1961
                --1963 Cruiser

Comment

There sure are Scott. I sold my 1951 Land Cruiser a couple of years ago to a fellow on the east coast who went on to totally restore it. It may be one of the finest 1951's in the country now.

wwwcaroholic.com

Studedude1961
                  --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Another happy ending: I had a nice '64 Daytona Hardtop back in 1975 through 1977. Sold it and lost track of it until fairly recently. It's now owned by Jim Bradley of Pittsburgh, PA. See its picture on the October page of the 2005 Studebaker calendar by Madd Doodler Publishing. It has also appeared in TW lately. Beautiful!

Comment

Another happy ending: I had a nice '64 Daytona Hardtop back in 1975 through 1977. Sold it and lost track of it until fairly recently. It's now owned by Jim Bradley of Pittsburgh, PA. See its picture on the October page of the 2005 Studebaker calendar by Madd Doodler Publishing. It has also appeared in TW lately. Beautiful!

Comment

Working...
                      X