1955 President Sedan Value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 President Sedan Value?

I'm helping a friend of mine to assess some repair work on a '55 President. It's a...a... FOUR DOOR! There, I said it. It's a four door. If this car is done up nice, say a solid #2, what can this guy expect to recover if he sells it? $12K? $15K?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Tom: I imagine there have been no replies because there is so little information.

The car could be anything from a cheapie, first-series, monotone 1955 President DeLuxe 4-door with straight three-speed, to a second-series 1955 President State Sedan in two-tone with Automatic Drive, Power Steering, and Factory Air Conditioning.

All things equal, I'd say the second car described would be worth at least half again, if not twice as much, as the first.

More info, please...not to mention condition and degree of restoration contemplated. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I'm in the process of 'fixing up' a 55 four door, it's the nearly top of the line President State Sedan, automatic transmission, power steering, no AC (sob) When I get done (with a not yet existent $5,000 paint job,) I'd be happy to get $8 to $10,000 from it. I've got well over 600 hours in it, sweat equity, which I have no hope of redeeming. If you have to pay for the work, consider it lost. There is no market for cars with more than two doors.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      (Under Construction 617 hrs.)
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

I'm helping a friend of mine to assess some repair work on a '55 President. It's a...a... FOUR DOOR! There, I said it. It's a four door. If this car is done up nice, say a solid #2, what can this guy expect to recover if he sells it? $12K? $15K?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Mulberry, FL

Sadly, I'd be surprised if it broke 7K or so.

JDP/Maryland
        JDP Maryland

Comment

There was a beautiful yellow and cream one at Omaha. Nicest I've ever seen. I think he wanted $14-15 for it, but that was better economic times and I don't know if it sold or not.

OCPG does book a #2 at $14, but make sure to tell him to do an honest #2 restoration (tough and expensive...would most likely cost far more than $14k to do an honest #2 restoration). MOST hobbyists grade UP one OCPG grade.

I think I got about $5k for this one...

Not a President and 6 cylinder. #3 car.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thank you all. I haven't seen the car yet. I'm looking at it on Wednesday. I wanted to give him the info you provided. I'd hate for someone to get buried in this car and to give him bad information. I think $10K has already been thrown away on a never happened paint job. I'll know more tomorrow.

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

I've come to the realization that "book" prices on these cars are way on the "optimistic" side and I mean WAY on that side of the pricing and are for dealers to show their buyers what a good deal there getting.
              Balony
              64 Champ long bed V8
              55/53 Studebaker President S/R
              53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

If he has to pay someone for everything done to the car, he will have WAY more in it than he can expect to recover. Based on the limited information, I would say he might be able to sell it for $5000-$6000.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I'm with Kdancy here. $12K - $15K yeah - if it were, in fact, a "K" car. No foor-door 55 Stude is gonna command that sorta price.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1963 Cruiser
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I know Larks don't bring Do-Do, but I wasn't sure about earlier models. The car is nothing special. I think he should just spend the money on a nice original or someone else's restoration. I think he's got too much into it already.

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Working...
                    X