After fire 259

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After fire 259

I recently replaced the engine in my 55 Comander hard top with a nos 1963 259 .The engine had been stored all these years in an old mans parlor.I took a chance that it would not leak oil or co0lant and installed the engine .It was still in the factory crate had the Stude acceptance tag and was tagged with break in oil installed.I had to change the carb from a top draft to a side draft,Install a fuel pump and gen .Cleaned the points .redid the plug wires to the proper firing order.Cranked engine ,adjusted carb ckd timing ,eng ran perfectly.This is getting long winded the only problem is at fast idle 1500rpm or so the engine backfires through the exhaust.The engine that was replaced did the exact same thing.This does not show up while driving

Is a loud bang type backfire or a noticeable putt-putt? If it's the latter you may be getting too much vacuum advance. It will show up on driving as a surge at cruise but very slight.

On its way to a 15.097 Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Spring 2006.

Comment

I had something similar to this with a old 6 that sat for years. It ended up being sticky valves. Added a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas and oil and let it idle off and on for a few days and it came out of the coma it was in and ran great.
      59 Lark Regal 2Dr Hardtop
      51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
      27 Ford Roadster
      Harleys, Mustangs and other Goodies

Comment

Working...
      X