This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the steering column from a 63 Lark

I have removed the reach rod from the steering box along with the steering wheel and horm assembly. I see that I will have to bring the column into the engine compartment to get it out. One question...does one have to remove the steering colum collar located right below the steering wheel to pull the column through the firewall or will it fit through left intact to the steering column?
    Please advise. thank you

Hey, Joe,

Next to the steering box, there is a clamp that will release the jacket to be slid up off the column on the inside of the car. The shift collar and all the attached parts will come with it. I've never had any luck trying to pull the whole assembly through the firewall. Once that collar is off, it pulls through quite easily. Good luck!

Will in Colorado

PS---did I hear you got another 58 wagon?

"The Common Sense Car"
    "The Common Sense Car"

http://www.starlightstudebaker.com

'61 Lark "Isabella"
    '63 Lark "Lucy"
    '63 Wagonaire "Carl"
    A bunch of other Larks
    '50 Starlight, '55 Speedster , '58 Packard Hardtop, '59 Pickup, '64 Avanti "Jerry"

Comment

Hey, Joe,

Next to the steering box, there is a clamp that will release the jacket to be slid up off the column on the inside of the car. The shift collar and all the attached parts will come with it. I've never had any luck trying to pull the whole assembly through the firewall. Once that collar is off, it pulls through quite easily. Good luck!

Will in Colorado

PS---did I hear you got another 58 wagon?

"The Common Sense Car"
      "The Common Sense Car"

http://www.starlightstudebaker.com

'61 Lark "Isabella"
      '63 Lark "Lucy"
      '63 Wagonaire "Carl"
      A bunch of other Larks
      '50 Starlight, '55 Speedster , '58 Packard Hardtop, '59 Pickup, '64 Avanti "Jerry"

Comment

Look in the transmission section of your Shop Manual. In there you will find the instructions to remove the collumn. Be careful! Make sure you find the instructions for 'Models After 1961'. There's a difference (Don't ask how I found out[)]). For automatic it's on page 44c of the Flightomatic section. For manuals it's on page 29 of the Conventional and Overdrive section.

It's easy, and messy.

Lotsa Larks!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Look in the transmission section of your Shop Manual. In there you will find the instructions to remove the collumn. Be careful! Make sure you find the instructions for 'Models After 1961'. There's a difference (Don't ask how I found out[)]). For automatic it's on page 44c of the Flightomatic section. For manuals it's on page 29 of the Conventional and Overdrive section.

It's easy, and messy.

Lotsa Larks!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Perfect information !!!!!!!!! thanks guys for all of your input.
            Got it out....easily.
            Now working on the clutch assembly on the back of the motor.

Yes Will I found another 58 Packard Wagon. Very rust free being a TX.and OK. car, but the sun has done its damage. Solid parade red. I will send you a picture.

Comment

Perfect information !!!!!!!!! thanks guys for all of your input.
              Got it out....easily.
              Now working on the clutch assembly on the back of the motor.

Yes Will I found another 58 Packard Wagon. Very rust free being a TX.and OK. car, but the sun has done its damage. Solid parade red. I will send you a picture.

Comment

Working...
              X