alum.intake vs. cast iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alum.intake vs. cast iron

it seem to me that the intakes on V-8's are rather low. is there an alum. hi-rise aftermarket single 4-barrel?i did notice an non-stude intake advertized in the stude. international a few years ago forv 375.00. but they do not have any intakes on there internet site. are the avanti alum. intakes just a copy of the cast iron units? just ordered a couple books from snm on super larks and hawks. i have a factory shop manual(1959-1964) i cant remember if they have any thing on the R series engines or not. it's in storage. today i did find my analizer(exhaust) will try it on the lark with the summit carb. see what the ratios are and fine tune the carb.may not have to do anything sounds real good.

There is a new aluminum intake in the works and the bugs are being worked out. I might be wrong, but the aluminum intake you saw was a Lionel Stone piece that was supposed to be a copy of the R3 piece? The R-series parts are in the Avanti parts book.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

StudebakerGeorge

Comment

Given equal design of the runners, there's no real difference between a cast-iron intake and an aluminum intake beyond weight reduction. The air doesn't care whether it's passing through aluminum or iron runners. Of course aluminum sheds heat a bit more efficiently than iron, but at the power levels of an average Studebaker engine it really is a non-issue...the difference may be measurable by sensitive enough equipment but not practical in the real world. High performance intakes are generally made of aluminum because they can take real world advantage of weight reduction and heat dissipation and runner designs that increase horsepower and torque for a given rpm band. Many new cars have polymer intakes today as they are even lighter, are essentially temperature neutral in comparison and can be molded into very complex and efficient runner designs that require no machining.

If a new aluminum intake is in the works, it will be great for it to be truly higher performance. Less weight, better response and more power...what's not to like?

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

quote:
          If a new aluminum intake is in the works, it will be great for it to be truly higher performance. Less weight, better response and more power...what's not to like?
          For CASOs, it'll be the $500 price tag. Considering what Ted has gone through to git 'er done, it's actually the bargain of the century.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

Working...
          X