Jerky Speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerky Speedo

When accelerating my 50 G9 the speedo does a disco dance and settles down around 50. Does not do during deceleration.

I am assuming I need to unscrew from back and cleen to let cable run free. But before doing so, wanted to check with the all knowing board as behind the dash is a scary place for me.

Harry

There's probably also a tiny oil cup on the back of the speedometer head where the cable screws in; not easy to get to unless it's out of the dash. This lubricates the head, not the cable.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

You are correct. You got to lubricate. Do not try to drive your car until you fix this problem. I learned the hard way. I have several 1950 studes.

Comment

Graphite cable lubricant is available at most FLAPS. Thats what you need to lubricate it. To do this job, you should really pull the cable out of the car and clean it first. Disconnect the battery before you remove the cable, though. Bad things happen when the speedo cable touches exposed terminals or bare wires[:0]

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
        Holdrege NE
        John
        1950 Champion
        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
        Holdrege NE

Comment

My Speedometer was making noise and jerking around once and a while usually during the first few miles. Disconnect the speedometer so that you don't ruin the speedometer head. You will have to remove the speedometer and you will find a small copper or brass cup on the back where the cable goes into the speedometer. Pry out that cup and steal the wife's sewing machine oil. Put a few drops in and replace the cup. You should be good to go and the repair will be done.

Good luck. Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
          Oakville, Ontario.
          Hamilton Chapter
          See you in Cedar Rapids Summer 2009
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
          PSMCDR 2013
          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada