Still need original wiper arm for Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still need original wiper arm for Avanti

I need one original chrome plated wiper arm for a 1963 Avanti. One of mine was apparently not affixed properly, flew off during a brief rainstorm, and was destroyed in traffic. One Studebaker vendor sent me a plain brushed Trico replacement, which didn't match. Another vendor sent me an ANCO 41-03, which is still available at any local auto parts store today (I guess I can use it on my '66 Commander). A lady selling NOS parts on eBay said she thought she had a pair, but never contacted me again. So, my car's being repainted right now, but I have only one wiper. Can anybody help me out? There's really no need to recommend eBay or the usual Stude vendors; SP, SI, SASCO, Myers, Canadian, etc. I guess I need one off a junker or converted race car? Thanks!
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

The Avanti wipers had the same base (dog ear style) as an early 60's Ford. You have to remove the arm extension by drilling the rivets and replacing them with the Avanti extensions...

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
    55 President State Sedan
    70 Avanti (R3)
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Loks to me like the dogleg angle while correct is pointing in the wrong direction. The arms on the Fords sweep right to left the Avanti left to right.

On its way to a 15.097 Spring 2006.

Comment

Would be nice if someone could post pictures of what this thread is about as I am thoroughly confused and have been following this thread from its inception. Neverless I am seriously interested. I thought for sure Avanti wiper arms were like any 60's Stude. Are they really chromed? Are they shiny stainless steel? Are they the same size as used on a C-K? What size are the blades? jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

The Dogleg is chrome the arm and the blade shiny stainless

See how the Ford arm has the right angle but only matches if you could somehow insatll it upside down.

You may be able to polish most of the satin replacements because I think the are still made from stainless.

Comment

Thank you and I am clear on this right now I think. Can I assume that the picture shows an offset-dog leg Avanti type with a highly polished stainless arm with a chromed pot metal mount dog leg thingy? Also I suppose the other one is a satin like stainless universal adjustable type. I have a set of them and length and angle are adjustable. They are high quality Anco. I prefer the original Stude specific type but the Anco work favorably. They will buff up but the pot metal pieces are painted. jimmijim
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

The original is definitely chrome and stainless - I still have one left. So, who's got an original one they want to sell?
              edp/NC
              \'63 Avanti
              \'66 Commander

Comment

I have one somewhere, my '63 Avanti came without any, then I bought a
                set of universal ones, and bent them to fit. A buddy with a '65 Avanti
                lent me one of his wiper arms to measure, and sold the car to a dealer
                down south. I ended up with the one arm. Problem is, that was before
                I moved and I have NO idea were it ended up.[V]

I guess that wasnt too much help.[:I]

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I purchased mine from a fellow name Ficken at Carlisle one year way back. He said they're just regular 63 Ford wipers, but the stainless section was the wrong length. I followed his instructions and they are on My Avanti right now...

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
                  55 President State Sedan
                  70 Avanti (R3)
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Looking at some pictures the only Ford arm that I see that could work would be the passenger side of a 59-60 T Bird. Looked at some T Bird vendors and it seems they only have the driver's side.

It would be great to know what the application is, I haven't been able to come up with one, other than the T Bird, and I started looking a few years ago.

ErnieR

quote:Originally posted by 55Prez

I purchased mine from a fellow name Ficken at Carlisle one year way back. He said they're just regular 63 Ford wipers, but the stainless section was the wrong length. I followed his instructions and they are on My Avanti right now...

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
                    55 President State Sedan
                    70 Avanti (R3)

Comment

EDPJR,

I sent an email about the arms.

David L
                      David L

Comment

Working...