Help with my SB plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my SB plans?

I'm trying to formulate some sort of plan for SB... having never attended anything like this, I'm having trouble making heads or tails of what I'm doing [:I] I've been dragging my feet on this, but JRoberts' thread got me thinking I better get going [:0]

So far, I know this much-

I want to see as many Studes as possible
    I want to be sure to go through all the vendors
    I want to see the museum
    I want to go to the drags
    I want to go to the proving grounds
    And of course, meet as many of you as possible!

My (very) tentative plan is to drag the Provincial out and drive it around while I'm there. My better half will likely be taking the van to Indy to visit family for all or part of our time in IN.

Seeing that it looks like I won't be able to arrive in SB till sometime Wed., I'm planning on a room for Wed., Thurs., and Fri.; then start for home Sat. after the proving grounds tour.

Where's the best place to stay- Holiday Inn? What about if you're towing? Will there be a place to safely leave my tow dolly during my stay? I don't need the Taj Mahal, but don't want a fleabag either... but REALLY would like wireless internet[8D] The reception on Monday night sounds ideal- except it's on Monday night Anything similar later in the week?

I look forward to seeing cars, parts, and related items. I'll have my eyes open to learn, and money to buy stuff. I look forward to meeting as many fellow Stude lovers as possible; even just to say hello and move on. We'll hang out- or not... I'm not the type that needs to be the center of anything. (Of course, I owe a few of you some sort of refreshment for helping a relative newbie, and a stranger, at that!)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

You are going to have the best time of your life. As from the experience of my very first International Meet for that matter very first Stude Meet ever. My husband and I had a great time. We didn't book a Hotel but we were there on Mon. So Since you are going on Wed. Should do that first thing. Someone from that Chapter should chime in and suggest someplace for you. When we pulled up the first person we saw was Frank as in 41Frank. Your own Welcome wagon. There will be someone like Frank there too. Boy I'm envious we won't be able to make it to South Bend. Hey when they let me out of the car I was like a kid in a candy Store the outside vendors, then the inside vendors. Boy I was shopping for our cars, anyone I ever mets Stude, people I would meet in the futures Stude. Well you get the picture. They will have a hospitality Room with lots of helpfull local chapter members. They will assist you with what ever you need. Hope this helps a little. Oh and meeting all the people that are on this forum was great. I had a whole mental list I think I ran into most of them. Then again wearing a sombrero as a hat kinda made me easy to spot. Who's gonna wear one to South Bend any Volunteers?

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    61 Lark VIII
    Fresno,Ca
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

You are going to have the best time of your life. As from the experience of my very first International Meet for that matter very first Stude Meet ever. My husband and I had a great time. We didn't book a Hotel but we were there on Mon. So Since you are going on Wed. Should do that first thing. Someone from that Chapter should chime in and suggest someplace for you. When we pulled up the first person we saw was Frank as in 41Frank. Your own Welcome wagon. There will be someone like Frank there too. Boy I'm envious we won't be able to make it to South Bend. Hey when they let me out of the car I was like a kid in a candy Store the outside vendors, then the inside vendors. Boy I was shopping for our cars, anyone I ever mets Stude, people I would meet in the futures Stude. Well you get the picture. They will have a hospitality Room with lots of helpfull local chapter members. They will assist you with what ever you need. Hope this helps a little. Oh and meeting all the people that are on this forum was great. I had a whole mental list I think I ran into most of them. Then again wearing a sombrero as a hat kinda made me easy to spot. Who's gonna wear one to South Bend any Volunteers?

Mabel 1949 Champion
      1957 Silverhawk
      1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      61 Lark VIII
      Fresno,Ca
      Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca

Comment

bams - there is supposed to be ample parking for trailers, dollies, etc at the fairgrounds which will be the site of the concourse and swap meet. It is my understanding that the Holiday Inn was getting pretty well booked. I am unsure of other motel/hotel accomodations.
        Since I will be staying with my cousin that lives about 10 miles East of SB, I haven't had to worry about finding a place to stay. I am sure some of the others here be able to help you find a place. I hope to meet you in SB

Studebaker Fever
        60 Lark
        51 Champion
        Phil
        Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
        60 Lark
        56 Power Hawk
        Phil Hendrickson
        Arnold, Missouri

Comment

bams - there is supposed to be ample parking for trailers, dollies, etc at the fairgrounds which will be the site of the concourse and swap meet. It is my understanding that the Holiday Inn was getting pretty well booked. I am unsure of other motel/hotel accomodations.
          Since I will be staying with my cousin that lives about 10 miles East of SB, I haven't had to worry about finding a place to stay. I am sure some of the others here be able to help you find a place. I hope to meet you in SB

Studebaker Fever
          60 Lark
          51 Champion
          Phil
          Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
          60 Lark
          56 Power Hawk
          Phil Hendrickson
          Arnold, Missouri

Comment

I always like staying at the meet hotel, even though you can find cheaper rooms somewhere else, because is it easier to walk around and look at the cars at night and talk to the owners who are also usually out in the parking lot.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

I always like staying at the meet hotel, even though you can find cheaper rooms somewhere else, because is it easier to walk around and look at the cars at night and talk to the owners who are also usually out in the parking lot.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

The SB meet will be different in one important way: no events will be held at the main hotel. Since the SNM is sponsoring the meet, most important events will be held either at the museum complex or at the fair grounds. So the benefits of staying at the main hotel are not that great this time, and consist mainly of running into other Stude freaks in the hotel lobby or bar. So go ahead and find a hotel that meets your needs from the Internet and feel confident that you'll still see some other Studes in the parking lot. Most of the big chains offer wireless, but I'd check when calling for reservations if that's an important consideration. As noted, there will be plenty of room to store trailers at the fair grounds, and all the tours will depart from there.

Almost all the Studes attending the meet will be at the concours on Thursday, so that will be the best time to see all the cars. But you'll find lots of people walking around the parking lots and talking cars in the evening. So pack a cooler in the back of the Provincial and cruise around the hotel parking lots.

You'll learn much more about the details in coming months.

Skip Lackie
                Washington DC
                Skip Lackie

Comment

The SB meet will be different in one important way: no events will be held at the main hotel. Since the SNM is sponsoring the meet, most important events will be held either at the museum complex or at the fair grounds. So the benefits of staying at the main hotel are not that great this time, and consist mainly of running into other Stude freaks in the hotel lobby or bar. So go ahead and find a hotel that meets your needs from the Internet and feel confident that you'll still see some other Studes in the parking lot. Most of the big chains offer wireless, but I'd check when calling for reservations if that's an important consideration. As noted, there will be plenty of room to store trailers at the fair grounds, and all the tours will depart from there.

Almost all the Studes attending the meet will be at the concours on Thursday, so that will be the best time to see all the cars. But you'll find lots of people walking around the parking lots and talking cars in the evening. So pack a cooler in the back of the Provincial and cruise around the hotel parking lots.

You'll learn much more about the details in coming months.

Skip Lackie
                  Washington DC
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

My wife will be wearing the sombrero you gave her at South Bend Anne,so I guess you will be there in spirit.Thanks for the kind words Anne. For what it is worth we usually stay at the Signature Inn owned by the Jamison hotel chain.
                    It is located just north of the tollway.
                    Frank van Doorn
                    Omaha, Ne.
                    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

My wife will be wearing the sombrero you gave her at South Bend Anne,so I guess you will be there in spirit.Thanks for the kind words Anne. For what it is worth we usually stay at the Signature Inn owned by the Jamison hotel chain.
                      It is located just north of the tollway.
                      Frank van Doorn
                      Omaha, Ne.
                      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

quote:because is it easier to walk around and look at the cars at night and talk to the owners who are also usually out in the parking lot.
                        That's one of my favorite things to do at a meet too. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
                        Hazlehurst, Georgia
                        '59 Scotsman PU
                        '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

quote:because is it easier to walk around and look at the cars at night and talk to the owners who are also usually out in the parking lot.
                          That's one of my favorite things to do at a meet too. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
                          Hazlehurst, Georgia
                          '59 Scotsman PU
                          '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

Thanks for your responses, all. Does anyone have contact info for hotels?

I want to get the room booked and off my list of things to get done! [8D]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Thanks for your responses, all. Does anyone have contact info for hotels?

I want to get the room booked and off my list of things to get done! [8D]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X